Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:06:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690860
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Working on WFB Plaguebearers  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
Working on WFB Plaguebearers
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:22:32 AM »
So as mentioned elsewhere, I'm painting three more plaguebearers so I'll have a horde of 40 to try out on Sunday.  That is the day the local gaming store's Warhammer Fantasy Battle 8th edition campaign starts.

I worked on them quite a lot last night and some more today, two of them have their flesh basically done.  The third I'll start on after I do the rusted weapons on all three.

As per usual these days you can follow along on my blog.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
Re: Working on WFB Plaguebearers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »
Despite the heat, I did some more work on these guys, two of them have finished flesh and all three now have snazzy rusty weapons.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:37:50 AM »
Despite the heat I've put in more time and am close to having the flesh and weapons done on all three models.  After that it is just guts and bones and bases.  So it is possible with another decent effort tomorrow I could have the three fellows finished.  Then I just have to make a movement tray and fix my Beast of Nurgle bases.

As per usual I have some WIP pics posted of them on my blog.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:09:56 AM »
I've been slaving away despite the heat and I should have the three Plaguebearers finished sometime tomorrow.  They are almost completely done now, even the unit champion with his Knarloc Green skintone.  You can checkout WIP pics and rambles on my blog.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 04:19:12 AM »
I've finished the three plaguebearers, giving me 40 painted in total.  Last night I realized that my entire Nurgle Fantasy Daemon army is metal.  Talk about old school.  Here is the photo of the champion and possibly the spiffiest of the bunch:

Now you're going to have to backtrack and read how I did it, but the final post in the series is up.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »
Cool stuff, perhaps a wee bit dark, but it looks good.

I'm thinking of making my own using a combination of plastics...

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
Looks good, but the photo isn't the best... Try to get the focus off the background and onto the miniature instead. =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 07:51:30 PM »
They were quick iPhone snaps.  Sometimes they come out good, sometimes less good.  It has no manual zoom or focus, it just does it's thing.  I usually set the model up, take 3 snaps and chose the best one.

I didn't intend for this one to be so dark.  Anonymous Internet critics seem to think some of my Nurgle stuff is too bright, so it is a bit ironic that now my painting is too dark...  I had a lot of the Knarloc Green on the palette and I decided to give it and the new GW washes a workout.  I did custom blend and highlight up later, but not as bright as say the glob of green slime on his sword.

After posting the pictures and having like a 1000 people look at them I fixed one or two little things and now the models are getting sealed.  Hopefully that doesn't have a negative effect on the models, sometimes they look better before sealing, sometimes after...

I need to make a movement tray for the unit and I might give one or two of them the gore treatment.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:38:29 PM »
Use Tamiya Clear Red for gore! It's amazing stuff.  :)

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 08:12:51 AM »
Use Tamiya Clear Red for gore! It's amazing stuff.  :)

I learned this trick and I do it sometimes.  Overdoing anything lessens its overall impact.  I also bought Tamiya Clear Yellow and Green to try and get some gooey slimy stuff going, but I still think you can do pretty good with regular paints, washes, and if you need shiny gloss varnish.

Now we come to the payoff!

Bigger pics on Flickr and on my blog.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 08:18:59 AM »
Very nice, I like them a lot! The many different colours make them look nicely old school - and the banners defenitely help. Good job!

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 08:26:57 AM »
You don't sleep much do you?  Actually it must be 9AM in Germany but it is 12:30 AM here in Vancouver.  Thanks for the compliments.  I'm a 40K guy so the different colours besides being experiments and just fun to paint serves a purpose in that I have a green squad, a blue squad, a purple squad, even a brown squad if I need it...

Some of them are old and even with touch ups aren't painted as well, others though old still look really good and only recently did I start painting the new castings so there are paint jobs that are newer but on OOP minis.  Even some of my new paint-jobs are still over half a decade old.  They seem new to me as I never get to use them much in games, cause I don't play and lesser daemons are just that, lesser in Warhammer 40,000.

We'll see how true Plaguebearers do in Warhammer 8th Edition.  I plan to just march straight up the field in my horde with everything else moving quicker hopefully I can tie up something or just distract people from sending every ranged attack they have at my 500+ point unit.  ;-)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »
Looks great, the banners are not for me, and I don't get the maths one!!!  lol

However, the paintjobs are cool and the variation in the unit adds to it. Also the use of 3 generations of Plaguebearer is a nice touch.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 10:03:37 AM »
Looks great, the banners are not for me, and I don't get the maths one!!!  lol

However, the paintjobs are cool and the variation in the unit adds to it. Also the use of 3 generations of Plaguebearer is a nice touch.

It's called being old, I don't have that many of the really old Plaguebearers, mostly the middle batch.  I'm missing some of the newer ones even.  As for the math formula, you do know that Plaguebearers spend their existence counting all of Nurgle's creations?  I lucked into that, the formula does nothing but contains a variety of important mathematical concepts.  It impresses some people.  ;-)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
Oh right, didn't know that. I have the original realm of chaos books, but have never really read them. Or if I have, it was a long time ago!