Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 08:48:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696347
  • Total Topics: 118759
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WW2 Greek Display Game ( Hill 731) for leeds show Fiasco Sun 31st October  (Read 15723 times)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
Re: Display Game for Skelp
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 09:18:51 PM »
Thank you for the reply, David.

The miniatures look great and it is a pity you won't be producing them. I find it rather disappointing that no one is producing Greeks in that scale. If not the regular Greek army, some Cretan partisans deserve to be out there as good sculps. I don't know why no company has given them a try... especially with the importance of that battlefield for the development of the 2nd WW. You can proxy Greeks for the North African campaign with some British, but that's about it. I wish one of the big WW2 producers like BAM, Brigade or Artizan would give some Greeks a try.

Have you seen the 11th Day documentary? I would recommend it.

Regards,

Dimitris

Offline David

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »
I you want some of the figures you will be able to getting them from Rif Raf Miniatures since he has the internet all set up for his minitures and i don't have the time.
But they will be under my name Burns Miniatures.
you shoud be able to buy them October i you want some.
I have a Lebel VB Grenade Launchers  made and a HMG as well.
The next is a standing Lmg team, third crew for HMG and a Feild telephone man.
the Artillery crew should be next, then heavy mortar, some more officers with putty and boots artillery range finder and 65mm mountain gun and the 75mm as well.
then i will look to see if they used there cavalry and maybe some Evzone infantry
have to find out what 37mm anti tank gun they used?
This range was design for me to fight my italians and Germans para's, mountain troops and infantry in north Greece.
As i learn more i will make other figures, i also have to find out what colour the germen panzers and British tanks were in Greece campain, but i will get there.
The best site i have found so far is
http://ww2greece.wargaming.info/index.htm
Thanks
David

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 12:29:57 AM »
Brilliant! I'll have a look in October! Thanks.

Offline arktos

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 03:45:34 PM »
My friend, the 37mm anti tank that Greece used was the ... pak 36.  :o
They bought 12-16 from Germany and used them exlusively in the ''Metaxas line'', against ...German Gebirsjager.  :)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
There is a good potential to make WW2 Greeks conversions.
Use Tiger miniatures with Italian helmets. (Don't ask, I do not know which are suitable, never tried it)
Some units (in the fortresses of metaxa line) used french adrian helmet.
As for evzones the balkan wars evzones (later uniform)  by Tiger Miniatures can be used in WW2 as well. usually they charged without helmet (in fez). The minus in this project is that all Tiger miniatures are without the long coats.
Tiger miniatures balkan wars Greeks can be painted as they are to represent gendarmerie and cadet units  that were present in the battle of Crete. Both units were in kepi. During battle of Cete there was a couple of greek regiments as well. These were under train. I doubt if they had the regular equipment of the greek army of the time. I suspect that a good proxy could be the use of balkan war equipment.
Someting of importance: Greek army still uses the same rifle.

Alas, noone produces any suitable figures for cretan partizans. You may convert some figures wearing riding breeches, boots and shirt.  Heads could be bare or with a kind of bandana. Weapons any kind: captured german equipment, obsolete weapons of pre WW1 weaponry, or modern WW2 british equipment.
argsilverson

Offline David

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »
"Thanks arktos" Thats great that its the pak 36, i can get one in 28mm of BAM.
Yes i have looked at the Tiger ranges and had like there American - spanish range and got some.
I had also looked at the other ranges for conversion for WW2 Greek army,  Tiger miniatures Greeks can be painted as they are to represent gendarmerie and cadet units  for crete would be great, but i will have to find photo of them first to check against tiger miniatures.
I am happy to make some cretan partizans as long as i can get some good photo of them and Greek partizans.
the main problem is which one since they all had different clothes for different regions?
These are the only ones i could find
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=113888&sid=53ca9b943b28a270bdbc65d22ce17220
http://www.google.co.uk/images?rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACAW_enGB353&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1285&bih=537&q=WW2%20cretan%20partizans&tbs=isch:1
http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-gb%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ACAW_enGB353&biw=1285&bih=537&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=WW2+greek+partizans&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:22:51 PM by David »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
It is very interesting to see someone is planning to do some WW2 greek soldiers and partizans.
Unfortunately it is hard to find at least online some good photos. I will try to find some and I will post them to you.

1.- The first photo on the axis forum is good to see how they looked like at early stage WW2 in Crete.
It is not difficult to represent them. Remember the island has left without weapons since Metaxas regime feared that Cretans would rebel etc. Military equipment was moved to the mainland to support the army.
During the invasion cretans took whatever weapon was found (even stones and knives) and tried to stop ferman paratroopers.

At that time civilian dress was used. I said it is not difficult to make them. riding breeches/boots and shirt (hot weather in may) plus the bandana.
2.- I will do some search in greek over the google and I will try to find some interesting photos.
3.- Concerning gendarmery: Several years ago gendarmerie was amalgamated with police force and is modern day Police in Greece. Unfortunately online photos are nil. During the WW2 gendarmerie had a similar uniform like that of the balkan war army. Kepi, long coat, riding breeches and black boots. the difference was a silver cord on their left shoulder. standing colar and white/silver chevrons. Officers carried a full english army uniform of the time. Other ranks carried a Gras rifle, while the mannlichers were given to the army. Uniform colour of NCOs and other ranks (in fact lowest rank was corporal i.e. 2 chevrons- french style at the lower sleeve) was olive green! officers wore british khaki uniforms.
4. The cadets that fought in Crete were the junior cadets of the first class. The senior classes 2nd and 3rd year were drafted as officers and subalterns in the army, immediately upon the outbreak of the war. they had a uniform of the same cut as  earlier (WW1/balkan wars) but much brown in colour. Their priping officially was yellow. I have seen only one drawing of a cadet with carrying a hotchkiss gun (??). they had boots,
More later

Offline David

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 11:48:06 PM »
Thanks there is very limited information on ths subject in English, there is more on crete and on the  british army campain and the germans.
David

Offline Hendrid

• Librarian
    • ALBAtwo Warblog
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
Hi Dave they do look rather spiffing. Nice bit of painting. What are the smaller  (Italian looking) vehicles?

Offline David

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
They are L3/35 light tanks

Offline David

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 12:33:44 PM »
Here a quick update since i have some painting left to do today
Hopefully when i take some pictures at the show in better light it will look ok
might need to put some more grass on ? but it had be hit by a few 1000 shells etc.
Pak 36 and Italian's are BAM

David
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:49:13 PM by David »

Offline David

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
Here an update on the display at the show.
It came second :o
Fun day out and it was very popular, hopefully some of the people who saw the display will comment?
Falkirk Wargames Club 28mm WW2 Heros Fight Like Greeks Demo
RAF Leuchars 28mm Western Magnificent Seven Participation
Bathgate wargames Club 28mm Victorian Victorian Vampire Game
Independent Wargames Brigade 6mm WW2 Hell'z'awaitin Amphibious ops in the pacific
TNG Little Men - re-live your childhood - your bedroom carpet,your collection of toy soldiers and elastic bands Participation
Gourock Wargames Club 1/1200 ACW The Battle of Chesapeake 1781
League of Augsburg 28mm Napoleonic The Battle of Shervadino

Offline David

• Scientist
Re: Greek Display Game ( Hill 731) for Skelp
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 01:21:41 PM »
Just to let you know that the display game will be at leeds show Fiasco Sun 31st October.
so if you are at the show, feel free to have a look and a chat or even join in game.
Using Triumph & Tragedy rules
Thanks
David

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
Re: WW2 Greek Display Game ( Hill 731) for leeds show Fiasco Sun 31st October
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 12:39:29 PM »
Which manufacturer does the italians ?
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline David

• Scientist
Re: WW2 Greek Display Game ( Hill 731) for leeds show Fiasco Sun 31st October
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 06:19:01 PM »
Italian done by Bolt action miniatures, shame they are redoing the range at the minute, should be back in 6 months? as was said at last show to my brother. (SELWG)
I have some 25/28mm Battle honours Italians which are not bad, will stick a picture up when i have painted them.
David
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:11:34 PM by David »