Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:06:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim Vs the World  (Read 9346 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Scott Pilgrim Vs the World
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 09:34:47 AM »
Yeah but this close to Christmas it would turn up some time after New Year.

Check if there are region 1 dvd providers where you live. That's how I got mine.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 02:42:32 AM »
Replace the hair and here you have it!

Yes? No? I'm yet to see the movie, but I am going to hire it soon I think.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
Great film. I love the endless pop-culture references, even if I didn't get all of them. It reminded me of the 'Spaced' sitcom writ-large. No surprise there given that it was Edgar Wrights first big outing.

You'll also need some skateboarders. I'd warrant that anything with a Japanese cyberpunky feel might work, as the whole design-ethic has a lot of manga influence as well as the computer games world. With a not-too-serious cartoony knockabout games system it could be a lot of fun. As well as Ramona's exes, and battles of the bands, you also have options for lots of random encounters - Knives should surely be a wildcard interrupting at unfortunate moments?

Incidentally, I absolutely recommend the original comics if you can get them (Oni Press in the States, 4th Estate in the UK). There are six volumes - all roughly condensed in the film - so lots to get hold off, and more on the peripheral characters. Awesome!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 01:29:15 AM »
Incidentally, I absolutely recommend the original comics if you can get them (Oni Press in the States, 4th Estate in the UK). There are six volumes - all roughly condensed in the film - so lots to get hold off, and more on the peripheral characters. Awesome!

Hear hear! They are fantastic. My wife and I spent a very enjoyable day in Toronto on a Scott Pilgrim Pilgrimage a month or two ago, and visited quite a few of the movie and graphic novel locations - Castleloma, Honest Eds, The Pizza Pizza in front of Honest Eds (sitting in the same booth as the characters in the movie), Sonic Boom, Lee's Palace etc etc. A great day, highly recommended if going to Toronto.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 10:04:44 AM »
the films 20mins too long.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 10:20:20 AM »
Hear hear! They are fantastic. My wife and I spent a very enjoyable day in Toronto on a Scott Pilgrim Pilgrimage a month or two ago, and visited quite a few of the movie and graphic novel locations - Castleloma, Honest Eds, The Pizza Pizza in front of Honest Eds (sitting in the same booth as the characters in the movie), Sonic Boom, Lee's Palace etc etc. A great day, highly recommended if going to Toronto.

And Sneaky Dee's too! I visited friends in Toronto a few years ago and they took me there - a great dive bar, and hilarious to find it in the comics!

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Got it on DVD, and loved it, I dont agree that its 20 minutes to long, I didnt want it to end. Now I want a mini of Ramona with her hammer!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »
I agree a min of Ramona and her hammer would rock!  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 03:14:54 AM »

Maybe as a base? Needs some green stuff to clothe her properly.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »
Liked the comic, cant bring myself to watch the film.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »
With the film, imagine Edgar Wright was given the first five volumes, and jumbled stuff around a little bit to mke it fit his vision more. Then for the ending, imagine O'malley gave Wright an outline (where it happens, what sort of things happen) and let him run with it (which may well be what happened as the final volume didn't comeout until a month or so before the film did...).

All else failing, it's worth seeing just to see (and hear) the Universal intro 8bit style...

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »
Liked the comic, cant bring myself to watch the film.

I loved the books as well, and I was eminently pleased with the film.
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 07:06:35 PM »

Maybe as a base? Needs some green stuff to clothe her properly.

Hammer is to little.

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
Weirdly enough as a born and raised Torontonian who actually has some personal knowledge of the guy who wrote these comics... this movie is much more about the life of a Gen X kid growing up in downtown TO than anything else. The pop-cultural references are only really recognizable to the twenty and under crowd since they were co-opted into the new 'Geek Chic' of society. I always giggle when I see eight-bit t-shirts on teenagers who've never known a two-button controller, or tried to beat a black-cartridge Tengen port on their NES only to learn its impossible because the game was designed to eat quarters.

There was a huge fight during the production of this film during which the writer of the series very nearly walked with the property. The producers wanted to move the setting to New York and update all the references to make it more 'tween' friendly in the current climate. Production halted. The writer stood his ground. The producers countered that they would just film it in New York but set it still in Toronto as the scenery would be more 'hip'. Again the writer flatly refused. It is effectively his story of being in Toronto during that period.

Several of the clubs in the film were actually rebuilt because they no longer exist. The Rock-It for example (which was, btw....a toilet) is now a Spring Rolls (chain Thai food) on Church Street. Lee's Palace also had to be rebuilt as a set as it has been closed for years.

Several scenes take place on a TTC Bus. Casa Loma is a famous landmark where the Skaterfight took place. Those handrails are a REAL location on its grounds. Honest Ed's at Bathurst and Spadina is the setting for several scenes as is famous Toronto Record shop Sonic Boom. I worked at a Second Cup (where Scotts sister is employed) all through University and have drunkenly consumed thousands of slices of Pizza Pizza. If you're near my age and from Tronto, that movie could simply just be about your life if you take out the superpowers. ;)

Of course this wouldn't be recognizable to non-Torontonians. The period references would be... but I'll tell you that I saw this flick in a run-down Rainbow Theatre at Market Square in downtown TO and the crowd was so moved there was literally applause, shouts and mayhem though out the entire picture.

Wonderful movie. If anyone here who is in their mid to late thirties and from Toronto hasn't seen it; don't walk - RUN. :)

A
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:08:15 PM by Achilles »

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
I thought it was just a good movie all around.  :D