Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:44:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690938
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: G.O.T. trooper...  (Read 5280 times)

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
    • DWARTIST'S PAINTING BLOG
G.O.T. trooper...
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:23:39 AM »

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: G.O.T. trooper...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:42:39 PM »
Your painting's spot on, but the figure leaves me a bit cold, I'm not sure on the pose, it seems very forced, and there's something odd about how he's holding that huge rifle.
I really want to like these troopers from G.O.T. but Im struggling :(

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »
I like the G.O.T range although I have my doubts if the human figs will match my other stuff :-[, the robots on the other hand I will be getting at a later date.

IMO this particular figure is probably the least-good of the lot ::)

SW
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 10:08:13 PM »
IMO this particular figure is probably the least-good of the lot ::)

SW
Ditto, I have quite a few of the GOT range and this one is the worst, the others though are very nice - the troops less so, but the others are very good. I still need to paint mine up.

But back to topic, very nice yet again Dwartist, your work is very impressive. I love the grey tones especially.
Duncan

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
Your painting's spot on, but the figure leaves me a bit cold, I'm not sure on the pose, it seems very forced, and there's something odd about how he's holding that huge rifle.
I really want to like these troopers from G.O.T. but Im struggling :(

Thanks, H - the awkward way he's holding the rifle could be down to me - I think it should be resting on the armour but I didn't fit it too well! I bought quite a few of these and I have to admit to being a lttle disappointed when I received them, This officer in particular seemd far to tall for the proportions to be correct but I just imagined Peter Crouch in G.O.T armour.....
Painting them helps, they're definitely growing on me!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:08:40 PM »
Sorry, I was in no way implying that your painting wasn`t A++, which it is by the way :)

SW

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »
Sorry, I was in no way implying that your painting wasn`t A++, which it is by the way :)

SW
No, don't be - I didn't think you'd inferred that at all. I was just remarking that painting the mini had helped improve its 'likeability' for me.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »
Fantastic pj as usual, Dwartist! :-*
You do post really inspiring stuff all the time. I'm lucky that I've lost my credit card ;)

And I also have to remark on the GOT-line which is really nice and clean for being sci-fi.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »
Would've been an excellent Commander Shepherd-type, but, I don't know.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 12:04:34 AM »
Hey all... thanks for the feedback, some of the following may help explain a few things.

Firstly I should apologise for not haivng anywhere near as much of the G.O.T. bacground informationa vailable as there should be. THis is down to the spectacular disaster that our new website and shopping cart has been, followed by the manic changes of software and IT company to try to get a new site up ASAP. All my time for G.O.T. background got sucked into that mini black hole.

As a very brief, or as brief as I can make it "intro":

The troopers currently release are all member of G.O.T.A. which is the "Governance Of Technology Agency". Specifically theya re from one section of it called the Peace Enforcement Agency, their task is to stomp on any dangerous activities that may destabilise the status-quo, help lower-Tech Habitats and generally act a bit like the UN on some serious testosterone and without any silly rules of "they ahve to fire first before youc an do anything".

They are very high-Tech, all from geneered backgrounds (genetically engineered = geneered) and have been sublty altered over a number of decades to be taller, stronger, faster, more intelligent and so forth. Whether they achieved this is a moot point, but, generally, they are at the least taller than most other humans, coming in around an average height of 6ft.
The male figures are thus pretty tall, and the female figures who are shorter, are still pushing the 6ft barrier.

The "slimness" is deliberate in so far as the armour that they are wearing is exceptionally thing: no more than 5mm at its thickest and including the Rheomesh undersuit. We're so used to armour being thick though that I think our subconcious automatically subtracts a certain thickness whenever we see armour, so i think this adds to the "slim" feeling a bit.
Similarly we' used to a generally chunkier type of figure (easier to cast, easier to paint) but we've delibeerately aimed the G.O.T. troopers at a size and style compatible with Infinity and similar ultra-tech ranges.

A lot fo the other factions within G.O.T. are smaller, chunkier and utilise far thicker armour - so thoe who have a tendency in that direction will find them much more suitable for integration with ranges such as Heresy, Hasslefree, Pig Iron and so forth.

It might also be worth me mentioning that there are two additional layers of armour that will be added to the Troopers: the first level being an exterior powered exoskeleton, then another layer of much heavier armour. We build this up from a standard "dolly" that we have, so the Troopers will become steadily "chunkier and heavier" in appearence as one goes up the armour scales.

(G.O.T.A) Weapons, scenery and vehicles are all scaled to the G.O.T. Troopers, so those will all look "right" next to the figures and also most other 28mm and + ranges... the photos do seem to make him look taller than he is though... but he IS tall and we do have variety in the heights of females and males within the range. Similarly the Civilians and the non-G.O.T.A. humans are generally shorter and chunkier. Do expect variations in heights, thickness and so forth though; its something we feel is needed, particularly with the Agency figures, as they are pushing at the boundary of Homo-Sapiens into Homo-Superior.

(The butt of the rifle should be resting on the torso though, without that it looks a bit unfeasible to hold it out there, but its not a biggy imo!!!!)

Would've been an excellent Commander Shepherd-type, but, I don't know.

A few of the female troopers make a rather spiffing fem-Shepherd as would a couple fo the latest releases (no images yet, i'll get them out ASAP!)

------

Its not much but youc an get some idea of the armour by looking here:  http://governanceoftechnology.com/technet/?cat=4

cheers all,

Jed
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »

Me - "Thanks, H - the awkward way he's holding the rifle could be down to me - I think it should be resting on the armour but I didn't fit it too well!"
Jed - "The butt of the rifle should be resting on the torso though, without that it looks a bit unfeasible to hold it out there, but its not a biggy imo!!!!

I knew I'd buggered it up - bad pinning I'm afraid. Oh well I'll make sure the next time I paint this one the rifle is sitting properly!

me again - "Painting them helps, they're definitely growing on me!"
Definitely!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 07:21:54 AM »
Thanks for the insight. Oh, and, any chance that this fellow's gun is/will be available separately?

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 07:24:09 AM »
Thanks for the background, Jed!
Now, if you could only get that store open again so I could indulge myself with some GOT-minis ;)

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 10:19:30 AM »
The weapons will be available seperately as a weapons-pack and there is an alternative Leftenant on the list of figures in subsequent releases.

Hopefully we will have the store open today... been making a few changes in the physical store to get ready for distribution of the G.O.T. stuff... taking a bit longer than planned.

David - i'll PM or email you some images as soon as i get the photo area setup again... probably wednesday.

Has to be said that I rather like the grey armour ... Tim (GingerTim from SDs) cant work out how you painted it!!  lol

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
thanks, Jed - tell GT I'm happy to share!  :D