Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:45:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686590
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WK's Renaissance fantasy project - Witchhunters and more released (10/02)  (Read 186677 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
I was going to sit on these a bit longer until I had some metal, but I can't just keep sitting in this pool of my own froth (I might drown). As some of you may know by now, I have a soft spot for the old renaissance styled Marauder dwarfs. Having collected all the original models, I still felt myself wanting more, and other currently available similarly themed ranges, like the Foundry one, just don't strike the same chord. So the only way to get figures that would hit the same spot, was to have them made.

Now this is first and foremost a private project. These are figures I wanted made for myself and not everything about them may appeal to a broader market. Even so, I see no reason not to sell some to interested people once they are available (will still be a while as I want to get a few basic sets completed (and moulded) first). There are no plans to become a real shop though.

Now, first thing was to find a sculptor who could delivery the quality AND who gets what it is that gave the old school models their charm and character. I immediately thought of John Pickford (of Otherworld giant fame) and I think he came through big time with the models. I can't stress enough how my pictures don't do justice to the models. They are very crisp and clean in the flesh. Any limitations designwise are my fault and not his, as I wanted to capture the look and feel of those golden age models, with all the good and the bad that that entails.

In order to give him some time to get familiar with the subject matter, I suggested to start out the first ones with the most static poses, so don't blame the sculptor for that, it's what I asked. There will be many more poses and troop types farther down the road. Since I hate units with loads of clones, I wanted to make the most out of my buck and get them to be modular: separate heads and separate weaponhands. For this first set, there are 4 bodies, 8 heads and 4 weaponhands (only 3 shown, the 4th is another poleaxe type weapon). All heads are interchangeable (as pictures demonstrate) (and of course, some heads are bound to look better with certain bodies, but all in all it works pretty well, without detracting from the final look.

As said, more poses and trooptypes will follow and the aim is to make parts (especially heads) interchangeable between as many sets as possible for maximum customisation possibilities.

Anyway after this long introduction, some pictures featuring all of the heads on all of the bodies (and 3 of the weaponhands). They are just tacked together and in some pictures the hands have come away from the arm, but this would not happen if they were glued together.

Hope you will like them.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:03:05 PM by white knight »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: WK's secret dwarf project
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »
sweet. This is going to be interesting. Keep 'em coming.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »
very nice! they look like they were born in the 80's :-*

please inform if they ever be sold to the broader public!
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »
it's a brilliant idea, WK, love them and love the idea behind it. Hope we will see a lot of these beauties!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 07:08:57 PM »
Not a genre I'm even remotely insterested in, but I love to see people making new minis available to the rest of us.  Thank you.  I think you're doing it right with the separate body and head combinations.  And I think John Pickford has executed your idea brilliantly.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »
You are an evil genius and I am astoundingly jealous.  :-*

Oh, to have the funds and freedom to commission my own range!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:20:46 PM »
Very nice indeed - you don't fancy going into business and commissioning some 80s style frogmen and viking types that might fit nicely into a certain old skool scenario...  ;)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:28:56 PM »
So glad you decided to break cover with these. Far too good to be kept shrouded, they needed to be seen and now I can talk to folk about them too.

And I can only echo JB's comments.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Very nice indeed - you don't fancy going into business and commissioning some 80s style frogmen and viking types that might fit nicely into a certain old skool scenario...  ;)

Not really... lol

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
So glad you decided to break cover with these. Far too good to be kept shrouded, they needed to be seen and now I can talk to folk about them too.

I'm surprised I lasted this long, really. lol

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
Gorgeous! You know that full helm is going to drive the Chaos Dwarf crowd into a frenzy! ;D :D

Offline spevna

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »
I have never played WHFB and don't think I ever will BUT I would buy a bucket load of them, no questions asked!! They are bloody brilliant :-*

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 07:37:07 AM »
I have been looking for some marauder dwarf alternatives for my Empire army (I never got round to them!) how good of you to commission these for me just at the right time!!!

Congratulations White Knight, I think you have fulfilled the dreams of many a collector there with style and authority. I can see many more retro mini commissions coming out as the trail blazers lead the way...

Time to save my pennies.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 08:03:38 AM »
WK, pleeeeeeeaaaaase get these cast up! I really, really, really would like some in my Dwarf army!!!!!!  :o

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 08:52:33 AM »
You know that full helm is going to drive the Chaos Dwarf crowd into a frenzy! ;D :D
My thought exactly! =D Really like the full helm head.

Hard to tell from the pics - what's the armour on the top torsos? Ornate plate or chain mail?
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se