Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:51:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: kaiju + 6mm wargaming?  (Read 3224 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: kaiju + 6mm wargaming?
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:38:38 AM »
Looking at the ganesha games website their WIP big monster game has got me thinking, is there any kaiju wargaming out there? What rule sets are there and what miniatures are in use? What scale is most commonly used for the military Ganesha suggests 6mm, but I haven't found much modern miniatures for that yet, probably become I don't know where to look tough.

What terrain is best suited for it etz. Really I am getting more and more interested in this genre of wargaming but finding rather little information to get dug into.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:24:44 PM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: kaiju gaming
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:17:21 PM »
If I'm following what you mean (gaming Godzilla movies, right?), maybe you would like Monsterpocalypse, or at least find some of the minis interesting for your use.

http://monsterpocalypse.com/welcome-to-monsterpocalypse

The minis come in booster packs as well as the basic game packs and can be picked up from ebay pretty regularly.
I've never played it myself, but I believe it to be more a boardgame than wargame. Might give you a place to start though.  :)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: kaiju gaming + 6mm wargaming?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »
Yea, godzilla is correct, tough I intend a wider variety of monsters.

Anyhow, I know monsterpocalypse, and indeed it looks fun BUT it is indeed a more a collectable boardgame then a wargame.
The miniatures are quite useful I think, I don't know how their plastic is but they tend to be quite burly so even softer plastic shouldn't bent to often.

Another downside is that the big monsters come in two packs, since in the game every monster has a hyper/mega/whatever form that is represented by a translucent plastic version of them. This doesn't really matter if your painting them over but having to buy every model in pairs is a bit of a pain. (as is the random nature) so if anybody is also interested in this perhaps we could split the packs, trading hyper forms or some-such.

Also, did you know Tim Burton (yes THE burton) is working on a 3D monsterpocalypse movie? apparently Privateer press sold of the licence to a big film company to get some extra funds and now it actually is going to be a big budget thing. And quite a intense cooperation with the original creators as well to make sure it all fits in the setting apparently.

Anyhow, I guess I am also asking for 1/300th or 6mm scale modelling advice, I think that at that scale cardstock is king but there has to be some info resource out there I have missed?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:05:06 PM by YPU »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:29:47 PM »
I have found this game: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=58344
and at only a few euros it looks tempting but I have bought a game from radioactive press before and found it somewhat lacklustre. Still, this game is in its 3rd edition so it should be better worked out then the other game.
It also combines with some of their other games, giant robots, super monks, superheroes, and "the swarm" really all of those games seem like different aspects of the same game system. As with many rpg now products you can get a preview and I am still not convinced, so my search continues.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:25:21 AM »
While I can't help suggest what system to use, I am curious about which kaiju you plan on using. The Biollante? Mothra? And Big Scaly himself, surely?
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Boromir_and_kermit

• Bookworm
  • Chief Occulite
    • Darwin Games
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »
At the moment, I've found the best Kaiju miniature game to be Giant Monster Rampage from Radioactive Press. I must admit though, most of my play has been with 2nd Edition which had a plethora of choices.
The way your create your monsters has changed slightly. Some would say streamlined, some would say constrained, but I know that there are many people who consider them to be the best.

I can't wait to try out the Ganesha Kaiju game, which sounds to be rather cool. So will grab that as soon as it emerges from Tokyo Bay.

Cheers,
Ben.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
While I can't help suggest what system to use, I am curious about which kaiju you plan on using. The Biollante? Mothra? And Big Scaly himself, surely?

This will rather depend on what miniatures I end up using and what sort of monsters the system supports. I am a big fan of SoBaH so I am looking forwards to the genesha game, which is still slated for this year as far as I know.
But I am pretty much adamant that I want destroyable buildings, which I think is essential in such a game.

Also with games like this I always try to include something that will hook my friends into it. So I am considering including a Evangelion Eva suit as well. (which at first look is more like a mecha, until you realize the armour is in fact a containment for the mutating mess inside)

Other then that I might very well be using monsterpocalypse models, which are random, so I have to see about that. (I'm pretty sure that once Genesha's game is out I could find somebody to swap the doubles with anyway)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »
B&K, just out of curiosity, do the monster rampage rules allow for human soldier army as well? I have a feeling else the swarm rules could perhaps cover the infantry, tough not the tanks etz.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »
Hello,

there is a chap that I know that is into that monster gamming games, he has a website with some info:
http://sites.google.com/site/giantmonstergaming/

he uses The Giant Monster Rampage Rules, and I think he is rather happy with them

Cheers,
Pedro

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:45 PM »
Thanks man that seems like a rather good starting point!
And I think I spotted unit type infantry and tank!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:32:18 PM by YPU »

Offline Boromir_and_kermit

• Bookworm
  • Chief Occulite
    • Darwin Games
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 10:16:08 PM »
It does, but its in an expansion, not the base game from memory.
That is a good site to start with - he is using 3rd Edition.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:18:19 PM »
I am pretty sure it will be in the "the swarm" book, as that has rules for groups of smaller models, which doesn't matter if they are soldiers or tanks or huge spiders I guess.

I borrowed godzilla final wars from a friend who has a large collection of dubious movies.
Now I must have a flying submarine battleship with drill on the front!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:40:29 PM by YPU »

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 06:57:41 AM »
I look forward to some pictures of this vessel upon completion. lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37:19 AM »
Here is a link for those who wonder what the hell I mean by that.
http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Gotengo