Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689532
  • Total Topics: 118284
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Small musing about links.  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
Small musing about links.
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »
This isn't really something I run into a lot and it is far from a major problem but I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same and if it was something which could easily be changed.

The way the forum deals with links has always struck me as a little odd in relation to the fact that it doesn't actually do anything to change how the link looks to make it stand out.

Examples (all linking to the Lead Adventure main page):

-leadadventureforum.com Now this doesn't look to bad when you are writing it but some links are far far longer and more messy to have in the middle of a post.

-This whole sentence is a link but would you be able to tell unless you accidently moved your cursor over it?

-This is what happens when you try to put colour script outside of the link script, as you can see it ignores the color script. However if you put the colour script inside the link script it does work, This.

-Here I'm attempting to make a picture that also links to a page, much like the lead adventure banner does. It has a very odd outcome, the url script does activate, but instead of using the link put in the url section it uses the same link as the image script does, making the picture link to itself rather than the intended site.

Like I say far from some kind of major issue, just some oddities that I've noticed of late.
 :)
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Small musing about links.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:59:32 PM »
Are you sure you got the tag syntax right? That's always a bit tricky.

This code:

Code: [Select]

leadadventureforum.com

[u]leadadventureforum.com[/u]

[url=http://leadadventureforum.com]Lead Adventure Forum[/url]

[url=http://leadadventureforum.com][u]Lead Adventure Forum[/u][/url]

[url=http://leadadventureforum.com][img]http://leadadventureforum.com/Themes/waltz_tp/images/logo.gif[/img][/url]

translates into these:

leadadventureforum.com

leadadventureforum.com

Lead Adventure Forum

Lead Adventure Forum

I'll agree, though, that it would be nice if the forum software automatically displayed links underlined.

Edit: You're right about the image link, that one is really odd.

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:43:32 PM »
Yeah I actually noticed the syntax thing while I was creating the list of examples and playing about with the tags.

Text effects do work if you put them inside the url I guess I must just be used to boards where it either doesn't matter or is the other way round.
 ::)

Like I say not a major problem of any sort but there have been the odd posts I've made (though not now I know the syntax) and indeed ones I've read where the way it's written makes it obvious there is a link somewhere but I've had to run my cursor over the text to find it.
 :?

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:24:18 AM »
Like I say not a major problem of any sort but there have been the odd posts I've made (though not now I know the syntax) and indeed ones I've read where the way it's written makes it obvious there is a link somewhere but I've had to run my cursor over the text to find it.
 :?

Not a fan of this behaviour, either. Links don't have to be glaringly loud, but it shouldn't be a case of "run your cursor over every line of text" to actually find one.

A permanent underlining would be fine, or a slightly different colour. I usually manually make link text blue, as that's the traditional link colour and I'm old school sometimes.