Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:53:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sukhe Bator's foray into 009 NG railways  (Read 4044 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Sukhe Bator's foray into 009 NG railways
« on: September 23, 2010, 12:13:10 PM »
My Dad was the real railway modeller in our family. Inspired by holidays in Wales and seeing various NG in the UK I started collecting stuff over the years, but wargaming came far easier to me. I was never much for kit building and as a result it has been stuck in the attic for more years than I care to mention (based on some of the prices I've seen on the turnout boxes. I thought it was high time I gave it an airing and tried developing it further as a separate project. I'm not convinced I've got the technical knowhow to do the baseboard and wiring, but I have been working on finishing off the rolling stock and making some scenic items.
I have 3 locos, 1 ROCO Eggerbahn 0-6-0 and 2 kits (Talyllyn steam  'Blanche' and 'Linda' types -as yet unbuilt). I've had a stab at hand lettering and numbering too.
The idea was to do a 'straightforward' end to end layout on a 2' x 4' baseboard, with a largely hidden gradient connecting the two levels, a station, siding and engine shed, to a quarry with engine shed and sidings. A casette fiddle yard would connect to the lower level. Having seen some excellent war themed railways I wish in many respects I'd collected differently...
Anyway progress to date;

The scenery incorporates the styrofoam engraving technology I've used before - as on this trial water tower using panels from a Wills girder bridge kit

I'll post pics of the two engine sheds shortly
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: Sukhe Bator's foray into 009 NG railways
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
Bezzo,
I wanted to use up what I'd collected, but also wanted to keep the build and operation simple. Anyway I've just finished uploading the pics of the two WIP engine sheds. They still need detailing - window frames, doors and the like, but I wanted to get an impression of what the stonework and roofing would look like. Some joins need filling on one I see (the camera never lies!) I'm not altogether happy with the painting as a recent convert to acrylics, but they are nearly there...

I tried my hand at mixing acrylics on this ground level signal box. The 'cream' is a bit yellowy but I'm reasonably happy with the results.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
Hi S_B,

Thanks for posting those - I took me right back to my 009 days. The engine shed nd water tower are v. nice; who makes them or are they scratch builds?

The rolling stock is looking good, too especially the vee skips.

RMZ

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:50:12 AM »
The engine shed and water tower are indeed scratchbuilt

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror