Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:50:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Heavy Gear Blitz Interpolar War Beings Starter Set Review  (Read 7648 times)

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
Heavy Gear Blitz Interpolar War Beings Starter Set Review
« on: October 08, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »
Today I posted a very detailed review of the new Heavy Gear Blitz: The Interpolar War Begins 2-Player Starter Set from Dream Pod 9. Here's a little snipit from it...

It's hard not to want to compare the two games Heavy Gear and BattleTech, because both employ cool looking armored monstrosities to engage in lethal combat with. At a quick glance, the untrained eye might not realize that they're two completely different intellectual properties.

Both are set within sci-fi inspired universes, and both include ground vehicles, infantry and even aircraft. The biggest difference to a tabletop gamer is, that Heavy Gear is produced in 1/144th scale, which equals about 12mm scale. In comparison Classic BattleTech is roughly 1/285th scale, which breaks down to about 6mm scale, which is half the scale of Heavy Gear.

Now the earlier incarnation of Heavy Gear was produced in 1/87th scale, which is commonly known as HO Scale to a model railroad train enthusiast. That scale was dropped in favor of the current 1/144th scale produced models used today, so don't confuse the earlier game with the current game.

http://wargameguru.weebly.com/in-focus-review---heavy-gear-interpolar-war-2-player-starter-set.html

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: Heavy Gear Blitz Interpolar War Beings Starter Set Review
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
Heavy Gear Blitz: The Interpolar War Begins

catchy title

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 04:05:17 PM »
From the video game school of catchy titles. COLON WARS: The Devil's Colon: Extra Colon Edition
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »
Hey guys.

If you don't want him to resort to his "the Frother's guys are picking on me" response then maybe you might want to not troll his posts and try to stir things up?

If you don't like his reviews or don't like him then maybe just move on and don't read?

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »
Hey guys.

If you don't want him to resort to his "the Frother's guys are picking on me" response then maybe you might want to not troll his posts and try to stir things up?

If you don't like his reviews or don't like him then maybe just move on and don't read?
I don't think that's how their replies were meant, I think they were commenting on the title of the product rather than anything Wargameguru had written.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »
I wasn't trolling anything. Just making fun of the name of the product, not mocking his review of it.

I'm not from Frothers, and don't have any beef with WarGameGuru. I'm just having a laugh. No offence intended to anyone. It's come to a pretty pass if you can't make silly jokes on the LAF any more.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:17:33 PM by Plynkes »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:45:27 PM »
I don't think that's how their replies were meant, I think they were commenting on the title of the product rather than anything Wargameguru had written.

I'll accept that perhaps Plynkes wasn't doing that.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »
I'll accept that perhaps Plynkes wasn't doing that.

oh, thanks alot...  ::)

it's a bloody stupid name for a product - I'm not going to not post on something, just because it may upset someone.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »
I don't think anyone was trying to stir anything up, it's a stupid title. It might be a perfectly good review, I don't know, I haven't read it yet but I will in a minute.
Let's not find drama where there isn't any please, communication by forum leaves a lot to be desired as far as clarity of meaning goes and people would do well to give others the benefit of the doubt.

In other news: This better not turn into a troll fest, some of you are on your last warnings.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 07:41:52 PM »
Hey WGG, some of the mini's in the review are quite nice looking painted, if they are yours, take some pictures and get them posted up in the approate forum.

As for the Heavy Gear stuff, ive always found it far to expensive, especially for someone in the UK, pity, I like mecha.

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »
Hey WGG, some of the mini's in the review are quite nice looking painted, if they are yours, take some pictures and get them posted up in the approate forum.

As for the Heavy Gear stuff, ive always found it far to expensive, especially for someone in the UK, pity, I like mecha.

Thank you sir. The pictures at the very top are the studio models from DP9, the blue and gray and green and gray ones below those are the ones I painted. Which models were you talking about in the review specifically?

If mine were the ones you were talking about, I certainly could take some more pics, just let me know

As for the pricing, they made some sacrifices to keep the quality up, and to keep jobs in North America, which is part of the reason they're a bit on the pricey side. Although as I said in the review, I don't believe they're anymore expensive than Warmachine, and they're still certainly less than the Buy-In cost to jump into Warhammer 40k.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »
As for the pricing, they made some sacrifices to keep the quality up, and to keep jobs in North America, which is part of the reason they're a bit on the pricey side.

The minis? I suspect it has more to do with the start-up costs of the moulds etc and the fact that they probably don't have a large run of their figures.

I have though heard it said from a few people that it is expensive to get figs cast in the US and I know one manufacturer (a small company mind you) in the US that gets figs cast in the UK and then sent back to the US.

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 08:17:18 PM »
The minis? I suspect it has more to do with the start-up costs of the moulds etc and the fact that they probably don't have a large run of their figures.

I have though heard it said from a few people that it is expensive to get figs cast in the US and I know one manufacturer (a small company mind you) in the US that gets figs cast in the UK and then sent back to the US.

I meant the minis and the books both. They print the books int he US, and cast the models somewhere in Canada from what I was told when I inquired about it.

Reaper has their own foundry in Texas here in the US, and most of their models are quite affordable, but I think that's because they run their own factory, and have hands on the entire process from start to finish too. Like you, I've also heard of others paying for casting in the UK. It must be cheaper there for some reason. Metal in general keeps rising in cost too. Before long, I wouldn't doubt if plastic ends up being the cheaper alternative than all of the options available at present. Just the other day I saw some peeps complaining about the rising cost of tin in the UK.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
Like you, I've also heard of others paying for casting in the UK. It must be cheaper there for some reason.

It might just be that there are more places in the UK that can handle smaller runs of metal casting. I can't imagine that there are a lot of places in the US that do that sort of work.

IWM, Cipher (although they are probably busy with their own work)...

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 10:25:13 PM »
I do hope we won't go down the hyper-sensitive skin phase that TMP went through... While I have some dislikes for LAF, flame wars and "That offends me" PC rants are not on that short list.  I like TMP still, I like LAF; can we please should a little ability to roll with the occasionally unintended/perceived sharp humor?

I put up with hyper-sensitive people all day at work for the US Federal government...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!