Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690983
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The BIG pirate battle in Bordeaux  (Read 10522 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: The BIG pirate battle in Bordeaux
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
Surely the Spanish are the bad guys in all pirate games?  :D

Although thinking about it, I suppose the pirates are actually the bad guys...  ::)
 ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 10:09:19 AM »
Weren't most of them English anyway  ???  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »
What's the French for, "My God, you people are gloriously, wonderfully insane, and I am filled with pure envy!"?

Did I see working lights on one of those projects? Amidst enough stuff to fill a room that looks like a school gym? Maddness. Glorious, awesome maddness.

Offline elhion

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
That is amazing! Thank you for showing us!!!

What rules did you use for navigation and combat btw?

and were there any natives in the game as an encounter??

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »
Thanks folks for all these comments  :)

I try to answer to some questions :

@Polter50
About the polacre: Bruno made it entirely, except some sculptures on the hull that comes from the Heller Chebec, more pics here
http://argad.forumculture.net/louis-xiv-pirates-f7/l-etoile-d-orient-un-nouveau-petit-bato-en-construction-t126.htm
http://argad.forumculture.net/louis-xiv-pirates-f7/le-soleil-d-orient-t147.htm

@Polter50 & elhlon
Rules for ship to ship (and ship vs coastal battery) were a local rules of the Bordeaux club, "De l'ile de la Tortue à Trafalgar" (from Tortuga to Trafalgar). It has not been translated into English yet. I think the authors are happy that people play with their ruleset if you can read french.

@elhlon
Yes there was a "hostile native" player - although not historical for the period in this area but quite fun.
To fight on land there was two different rules systems : LOTHS on the northern coasts, and Argad! (my own set of fast skirmish rules) on the southern coasts.

@...others
"Who are the bad guys"? There were no bad guys, all players say they are the good guys  :D
Of course as all players were actually French it was easy for the "French" side to do old French jokes about the English (but not harm intended).
And the "Spanish" had no time to be very "bad" because they had special things to do: bring a convoy of mules loaded with gold from the jungle, load this gold on galleons, sail these galleons out of the table safely (to Spain), and utter menacing threats when players of other "nations" went to explore the same area of jungle in search for more so-called "Inca treasures"...

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »
Eh bien, je vous en prie, a copy of the rules in French and we will do our best to translate them and try them for ourselves? Merci en avance.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 08:19:44 PM »
@ Wirelizard
Yes there are working lights in one of the scratch-built Megablocks ships. No use in the game but very impressive. :o

And it was not a school gym, but actually the Town gymnasium of the small town of Floirac (suburbs of Bordeaux).
Once a year the local Wargames club organizes there a large Games Festival which welcomes all games (and children games, etc), many local families are happy to visit this Games Festival, so the Town Council is very happy with the Wargame club and do not consider them as a bunch of weird people, so when the Wargame club needs the building to organize something... a bit weird... such as a big pirate battle, it is easier for the club to have acces to this building. This is good diplomacy !

@ Polter50
OK I give you contact with Philippe Pauzat the author of the "From Tortuga to Trafalgar" rules.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »
This is astonishing and wonderful, a really glorious tribute to the golden age of pirates!  The costumes of the players are as fabulous as the ships and forts, very inspirational!

The doubloons and other coins were cast and painted specifically for this event, right?  Were they plastic, resin, or metal?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:31:31 PM by warrenbruhn »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »
Eh bien, je vous en prie, a copy of the rules in French and we will do our best to translate them and try them for ourselves? Merci en avance.

Please Poiters, I too would love a look at this rule set - after translation. I have NO language skills and barely manage English.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 01:33:14 AM »
Surely the Spanish are the bad guys in all pirate games?  :D

<snip>

According to Hollyweird, they were!

I'd take that as a compliment, since nobody picks bland boring Milquetoasts as bad guys!

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
According to Hollyweird, they were!

I'd take that as a compliment, since nobody picks bland boring Milquetoasts as bad guys!

Gracias,

Glenn

And of course we all know that Hollywodd is 100% correct in all their historical movies!  lol

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
Well that was a nice little skirmish. How about a full man-sized game now ?  ;)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 10:16:19 AM »
The doubloons and other coins were cast and painted specifically for this event, right?  Were they plastic, resin, or metal?
The golden and silver doublons are some sort of metal alloy. I asked where they come from, the guy who brought them is asking to an other guy who have found them and who is asking to someone else... They believe it comes from some sort of boardgame, possibly CAYLUS.
The brass coins for small change are real money no more in legal use, centimes of French francs before we switched to the Euro in 2002.

Offline duivelindoosje

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »
one more reason to move to bordeaux
or at least take the tgv to visit the town once more

realy great game, just a dream