Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:38:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Apropos Geezers: Red Riding  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Apropos Geezers: Red Riding
« on: November 13, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »
Watching this excellent, excellent (in a Leonard Elmore way) TV-series again, I waxed curious whether that level of police corruption has any foundation in '70s real events (or anywhere else in the UK, for that matter). I know the Yorkshire Ripper was real but how about all the other gruesome going ons?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Apropos Geezers: Red Riding
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
I haven't seen Red Riding, as my Sky Plus machine died and it had the series recorded on it. But police corruption, incompetence and abuse of power in the 70s and 80s? The very idea. How dare you, sir. This is England.

Five words: West Midlands Serious Crime Squad. He's Irish, so I reckon he must be guilty. Oh, and he accidentally fell down the stairs, sir.

I foresee heated argument and disruption of the LAF if we pursue this. It is bordering on the political, after all.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »
I haven't seen Red Riding, as my Sky Plus machine died and it had the series recorded on it.

This is one of the programmes Channel 4 have made available for free on their website and youtube, although I can't find the youtube link so they might have taken it down from there:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/red-riding/4od

With regard to the depiction of the Police in the programme, the corruption/incompetence/abuse was based around their involvement in organised crime (acting like a crime syndicate themselves) and trying to cover up certain serious crimes. I don't want to give too much away in case anyone decides to watch it but I don't remember it featuring any political corruption or any racism. I think if the discussion was based around corruption in the way it was depicted in the programme rather than corruption in all forms in the 1970's the thread (hopefully) shouldn't get too political.

SPOILER AHEAD:
Hammers, the only example from the series that has some basis in reality that I know of is the disabled boy who is bullied into confessing to a murder. There has been a case of that in Britain although I don't think the Police were actually trying to cover up for someone else. Perhaps the thread could end up getting a bit serious after all  :?.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:52:25 PM by Adam »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
i had no notion this might be a touchy subject. You can find police corruption everywhere but the blatant and all domineering cynicism and self service of a police force portrayed in the series seems to belong to another age, Central America or Burma. Or the US. Oops! Did I say that last bit out loud?!

Dylan: thanks for the West Midland hint. Look at it as a part of the my continuous need for tutelage on Britaniana.

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:05:52 PM »
I wouldn't worry about Red Riding-style Police being too much of a touchy subject. They were more like gangsters and I don't think it featured any Police setting innocent people up due to their political or racial prejudices.

Whilst you probably will find example of individual or small groups of corrupt officers participating in crime I don't think it ever existed in Britain to the highest levels like in the series, although I think you've had a good idea using the Police from Red Riding as inspiration for some games.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:10:59 PM by Adam »

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:43:50 PM »
See also the Metropolitan Police vice squad up until the 1970s.

The idiomatic phrase is "bent copper", which has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
James Morton's book on bent coppers was just as thick as his book on Gangland, though Gangland did have a second volume. lol

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.