Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689806
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Extra Gear  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
New Extra Gear
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »
I blame The Council of Thirteen story in Shocking Tales #1.

Dutch Courage

"What's that for?" Gus asked, pointing to a leather-shielded flask which Hazard was securely fastening in his shirt pocket.

"Dutch courage, of course," was the reply. "We'll need all our nerve in this undertaking, and a little bit more, and," he tapped the flask significantly, "here's the little bit more."

Dutch Courage, by Jack London

Models equipped with Dutch Courage may re-roll any one failed Resolve test once per game. After the re-roll has taken place roll 1D6. If a 1 is rolled, the model 's Dex is reduced by 1 for the remainder of the game. Dutch Courage cannot be used to re-roll a failed spell casting Resolve test.

Thoughts?

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New Extra Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
I like the twist with the drop in dexterity if failed the re-roll, makes it different from the Lucky Hat  :)

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:50:33 PM »
I like it!

And the randomness to get the Dex. penalty suggests someone had most of the flask in one go instead of a bit needed to get the courage.

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »
And the randomness to get the Dex. penalty suggests someone had most of the flask in one go instead of a bit needed to get the courage.

Exactly - Your threshold agent makes his "last man standing" Resolve roll due to the re-roll but then rolls the Dex penalty ... loses his ability to Dodge, can't shoot as well, ...

Although it may make him irresistable to women.  lol

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:15:02 PM »
 lol

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »
Dutch courage? We Dutch ain't that courageous actually...just a bunch of wily traders ;)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Colorcrayons

• Student
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
Its a pretty cool idea.

Reminds me a lot of the Call of Cthulhu card game card:

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
As it stands I wouldn't take this over Tight Boots which automatically passes the failed resolve without the chance of a dex penalty.

With Dutch Courage being someone drunk I'd make the dex penalty apply for the game, making the model immune to hideous or maybe hideous, fear, and terror with a -2 dex penalty.  :)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »
How about making it available for Civilians? That would make it unique and possibly worth something  :)

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »
Extra gear +1BP for character, +2 for agent... +3 for civilian?

Even at +2 cost an agent with an extra skill (2 skills, knife and .45)= 3 BP

civilian with Dutch Courage (no skill, common weapon)= 3 BP also... don't think it'd work ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:01:28 PM by blackstone »

Offline BletchleyPark

• Assistant
    • My Painting & Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 05:28:34 PM »
What about making Dutch courage available ONLY to civilians? You know, Threshold theoretically trains the fear out of its operatives; unfortunately, civilian hired guns (or what-have-you) receive no such training.

Maybe have the Dutch Courage as an item that only characters/agents can buy--and assign the item to a civilian....or just have the Dutch Courage "coincidentally" be on the civilian who most needs it at the appropriate time ...or have it usable by any civilian who is within, say, 5" of an agent.

Following that thought, I think it would be cool as an agent only upgrade: characters inspire those working with them, while agents....they motivate the hirelings however best they can. And the Dutch courage can be used once per game by any civilian model who is within 5" of an agent. I would think giving is a cost of 2BP would would not be too high, considering the flask would not have to be strictly allocated at the start of the game (well, it would have to be given to one specific agent).
Check out my painting & gaming blog: http://imaginarywars.wordpress.com/

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 10:43:31 AM »
As it stands I wouldn't take this over Tight Boots which automatically passes the failed resolve without the chance of a dex penalty.

Agree. But as Tight Boots can only be used once per game - this would provide you with the choice of an additional use but in game terms the extra use would "cost more".

With Dutch Courage being someone drunk I'd make the dex penalty apply for the game, making the model immune to hideous or maybe hideous, fear, and terror with a -2 dex penalty.  :)

Agree. "If a 1 is rolled, the model 's Dex is reduced by 1 for the remainder of the game. "

Fear, Terror and Hideous - this was where I started from.

I was thinking about a house rule for Fear and how each Lurker type could perhaps have a different Fear value. My thought being that once you have fought your first Zombie, second Zombie ....... fighting a fifth Zombie in the same game isn't going to have the same impact. So, perhaps once your agent has successfully proved him/hersef "immune to Zombies" and that should last the whole duration of the game.

My brain then took a left turn when I thought about an artifact/item ....  lol

Following that thought, I think it would be cool as an agent only upgrade: characters inspire those working with them, while agents....they motivate the hirelings however best they can. And the Dutch courage can be used once per game by any civilian model who is within 5" of an agent.

I like it!