Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Freikorps in the Duchy of Tradgardland- help needed...  (Read 2507 times)

Offline tradgardmastre

• Librarian
  • Courage is found in unlikely places. J.R.R.Tolkien
Freikorps in the Duchy of Tradgardland- help needed...
« on: December 02, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »
I am considering doing some Freikorps perod action set in my fictional Baltic Duchy called Tradgardland. I wonder if you can help me with the following:
Would my Musketeer Miniatures civililian/ira/vbcw figures double as Tradgardland civilians of the period just afterww1?

What are the best 28mm figures to use as Freikorp- late WW1 German inf I imagine?

What would be the best rules for small games of around 20 figures aside? Would  Triumph and Tradgedy work for so small a number?

many thanks
Alan
You are welcome to visit my Duchy of Tradgardland blog at:
http://tradgardland.blogspot.com/ and my 20th century gaming blog at : http://armyredwhite.blogspot.com/
New interwar imaginations blog at:
http://interbellumimaginations.blogspot.com/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Freikorps in the Duchy of Tradgardland- help needed...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:51:04 PM »
The key word here is fictional!  :D

Check out this link:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=2331.0   ::)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »
20-a-side games of T&T would work out okay, in my opinion. Four units of five gives you enough to do each turn to make the game interesting.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »
The Musketeer miniatures civvies should be fine for urban civilians, although I doubt they'd be ideal for rural types. I suspect that RCW civilians might suit better for those. I suppose how far East Tradgardland is will be the deciding factor.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »
While joroas posted the original link, here is my thread featuring my completed Freikorps:

Freikorps Von Lemiets

I'm (obviously ;D) using Triumph and Tragedy myself, and we had a nice game in October. I had written a provisional Freikorps and Left-Wing Militias List and used the opportunity to playtest it; it worked out rather nicely.

We haven't yet decided on a publication mode, but hope to make it available at least as a download later on.

Concerning unit size, 20 per side isn't bad, but you may want some more on the Revolutionaries' side to balance the generally/stereotypically  better training of the Freikorps (at least according to my lists). So maybe 20 for the Freikorps, organised into two squads of 9 and 10, and an officer to lead them, and 30 for the Militias, two squads of 12 irregulars, and maybe a machine gun squad plus an agitator to lead them.

As for miniatures, I used the excellent Great War Miniatures Late War Germans range, although those seem to have had some casting issues recently (quite some flash and vent stubs, it appears, but manageable). I really like their poses and clean sculpting style and would still recommend them. For irregular forces, I plan on using the Musketeer figures myself, especially since they look more "North European" than the SCW Militias from Empress (which are fine figures too, and some might be used as well).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:35:09 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Prof Steelblade

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
I agree with silversixx :)
I had a war in Tradgardsland all summer, but it's a losing battle. Now we are resting over the winter  lol

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
My own fictional Baltic project is a freikorps with Brigade Games late war germans and Copplestone characters (BoB and colonial Germans and some Russian characters) and a few Renegade stormtroopers in gasmasks for the truly fictional Weird WW1 things.
I'm thinking of adding another unit or two made up of Great War germans with Copplestone White Russian officers.

Revolutionary opposition are Copplestone's russian partisans and sailors.

For my German Volksmarine Division I use Brigade Games WW1 german sailors, converted askaris and a unit of late war Stormtroopers with headswaps from Renegade miniatures early war germans with soft caps. Renegade is bigger than Brigade but it works.

If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »
Here are some pics of the stuff from a few years back.
http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Area23/gallery/1980/

I didn't make much progress painting mini's, I only bought some more. lol
And the Spartakists are now all Volksmarine...

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »
The Great War Miniatures late war Germans are nice figures and compatible with Copplestone, the Copplestone Russian partisans might make good armed civilians as well. the Gripping Beast Woodbine Design Turks with separate heads make good standard interwar troops, they do German helmets with and without gasmasks. All could be usable.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!