Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: OK, so prime me on this whole BoB racket  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
OK, so prime me on this whole BoB racket
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 04:07:41 PM »
Quote from: Admiral Benbow
Quote from: "hammershield"
And these lovely parrots and idols (do you recognize the idol to the far right?)

Hammershield, where are those lovely parrots from? Need to get them for my pirates! Can't identify the idol - my eyesight, you know ... 8)

Thanks,

Oh, I tyhought I said... They are from Brigade. The idol is the gold fertility idol from the Indiana Jones movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 04:41:37 PM »
The Canadian 68th battery of 57 men also served and saw extensive combat around Archangel in 1918, fighting along with the US units.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
What about Castaway Arts' Northwest Frontier?

http://www.castawayarts.com.au/catalog/catalog_main.php?cmd=groupload&group=27&PHPSESSID=85e174ba14a8354e7dc0c76885870af0

Same deal with being slightly out-of-date I suppose, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm OK with that.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »
If you could get some separate SMLEs or Mausers, you can easily convert Swordsmen.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 01:34:04 PM »
The thing that I find most attractive about this period is the incredibly gritty setting of it. It's almost like there was a mini-boom of old fashioned colonialism during the war, only this time fought by a crazy mix of professionals and mercenaries, and this time the natives got better guns on the market. Then you throw in various ideologues and their partisans, and the whole thing has endless potential for the sort of game where you shout patriotic slogans at your little lead Reds, or drive away leaving your allies in a lurch. It appeals to my inner roleplayer.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
I like the way the Back of Beyond is (in my mind) it's own self-contained world, where outside rules did not apply and just anyone could set about building his own little empire. It appeals to my inner escapist :)

Pete: I sent you an e-mail about receiving the mat today.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2007, 02:39:23 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
I like the way the Back of Beyond is (in my mind) it's own self-contained world, where outside rules did not apply and just anyone could set about building his own little empire. It appeals to my inner escapist :)

Pete: I sent you an e-mail about receiving the mat today.

I agree the setting is ideal for building empires , re writing history and having good mixed force battles and clashes of ideology. That's the sort of thing I want to game. :)

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 01:14:26 AM »
Quote from: "Will Bailie"
Possible armies for a BoB campaign include (but are not limited to):

Central Asian tribesmen and Basmachis (Tajiks, Khazaks, and others)
Armies of the Central Asian khanates (such as Bokhara)
Tibetans
Chinese Bandits
Chinese Warlord (sometimes there is little to choose between the warlords and the bandits!)
Afghan army - somewhat better organised than their neighbouring Khazaks, Tajiks and the like, though that isn't saying much!
Bolsheviks (ie, Reds)
White armies (which generally encompasses all Russian opponents of the Bolos, not just the "official" Whites)
The rather bizarre White Russian army of Mad Baron von Ungern-Sternberg
Interventionists (both real and theoretical), including British and British Indian armies, Japanese, Americans, Turks and Canadians (no, really!)
The Czech Legion, who ran several armoured trains on various sections of the Trans-Siberian Railway.

There are opportunities for including Cossacks, Mongols, religious fanatics, tanks, armoured cars, armoured trains, aircraft, and more.  Lots of fun for everyone!

My favorite are fossil hunters! :)   I got into Back of Beyond after reading the book "Dragon Hunter" about the fossil-hunting expedition led by Roy Chapman Andrews. This expedition had to dodge Chinese bandits and warlord armies! Great pulpish (and true) alternative. Easier to put together this force, too (just a few vehicles and a few packs of characters.)

I'd read up on the area first and see what interest you before starting, Rhoderic. Good luck! :)