Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Getting into Sculpting  (Read 7917 times)

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
Re: Getting into Sculpting
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »
I prefer a lighter shade of Green Stuff. I normally smooth out green buy using a round part of a tool and using this to roll it flat on the figure.

Offline Golan2072

• Scientist
    • The Space Cockroach's Hideout
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
I've received my first set of sculpting putty and sculpting tools yesterday:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Visit my Ultra-Modern 15mm wargaming fictional-nation blog: Valieskan Civil War!

Offline mondria

• Librarian
    • midnight greys
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 03:20:19 PM »
smoothing putty I use my wet fingers the use tools to make the folds make sure that the tools are smooth and clean, every spot on your tools will also come in your sculpt.

@ golan
from your tools I use 3 and 5 the most going from left to right, the last one I have never used, wen you get more in to sculpting its a idea to get rubber tipped tools the firm ones, they are great to get nice folds, the spoon part of #5 is also very useful for that

Offline Golan2072

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 12:56:23 AM »
May I recommend Walshes for a range of tools?

They're very helpful in the old fashioned way, and have branches in SE London and central-ish Brimingham if you fancy a gander, which is often the best way with tools as it's difficult to ask for neat things which you don't know exist...

http://www.hswalsh.com/

Offline Golan2072

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 07:57:24 AM »
Thanks for the link.

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »
I use cooking/olive oil to smooth putty. Also you should definately try a clay shaper.. very useful. I find a 50/50 milliput/greenstuff mix is the best to sculpt with :)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »
Gah! I hate the 2 tube green stuff! You always end up mixing more than you need!

Otherwise cool!

Also, use saliva, don't be a wuss!  :)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
Gah! I hate the 2 tube green stuff! You always end up mixing more than you need!

I just pinch off little bits with my fingertips 'till I've gotten the right amount I need. I can get very precise amounts that way (I like to use a gram scale to determine proportions).

These days I like a 50/50 mix of Aves and GS. I love clay shapers too, but I use the soft ones way more than the hard ones. I've found the flexibility allows them to follow contours and create flowing organic shapes and folds very easily, and also gives them a wider range of finesse. The soft ones are "analog control", while the hard ones are "digital control" (like metal and wood tools), if that makes any sense. I usually only end up using the hard ones during the very last leg of the curing process, where the putty's too firm for anything less.

Everyone has their own favorite putty mixes and tools to suit their own personal body of techniques. What works for you may end up being miles apart from what I or any one else may recommend, so IMO the best advice is really just to dig in and start hacking things out for yourself. You'll figure out how to use what mostly through experience.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »
You can sandwich the green stuff between bakers paper (greaseproof paper) - it tends to stick inside those tubes and its annoying.  I make little strips.  Avoid the double strip packs as there is always crusty little bits where the two putties meet- very annoying.

Try adding a small amount of super sculpey to your green stuff to begin with- about 1:6 sculpey to green.  This takes off a little of the stickiness, makes it easier to blend into existing surfaces and you can get a slightly sharper edge.  Downside, too much and it goes spongy.  It vulcanises fine too.  Great for cloth.  Dont use this for chainmail or fur though, you need that memory to get a good loop going.

Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com