Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690857
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Antenocitis Mat ?  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Kralsaa

• Student
Re: Antenocitis Mat ?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 10:57:08 AM »
they are fine folded also - any creases drop out quickly and you can even cold-steam them for stubborn creases.

...they're virtually indestructible.

Hello
Do you know you will restock these one :
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/materials-tools/mat-o-war-gaming-mats/mat-o-war-green-2m-x-1-25m.html
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/materials-tools/mat-o-war-gaming-mats/mat-o-war-beige-2m-x-1-25m.html

I wish perhaps 2 of each
Thanks

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »
I'd like one of each when they're back in stock, 2mx1.25m.  They look good.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 06:55:21 PM »
The beige one is in stock...I received mine this week. If you want to know something about it, I can try to answer.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
Are they as good as they look?

Offline number9

• Librarian
    • breadandwargames
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »
They look great, and are super durable. Couple very minor things I hadn't considered at time of purchase though that I have since discovered; rough bits snag on the surface more than a flocked mat (but less than felt). Some of the games I play use movement trays and those also tend to snag now and again which makes sliding 40 models forward harder than I want it to be for using a mat. The material is quite stiff when new and it takes a fair bit of use before it loosens up and becomes more pliable. Out of the bag you can't really drape the mat over piles of foam or books to make sloping contours as easily as other fabric products.

Do not leave it somewhere cats can lay on it. It took a whole lot of lint rolling to get all the shed fur up due to the fuzziness of the surface (this is true of most any mat though).

This is all nit picking though. For the price I think they are the best looking and best quality mats available.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:07 PM »
Thanks for that, confirmed my thoughts.   :)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »
Are they as good as they look?

Commenting on the beige desert mat, based on my initial thoughts before any modifications or gaming:

It looks fairly simple. Unlike other mats which may be printed, painted or consist of grass glued on paper/canvas, this is solid fibre. Think coir mats, felt, jute sacks or some ugly insulation mat you might stuff somewhere out of sight. This is remotely similar but not quite. It's about 2mm thick, very strong and dense. No woven pattern there, just compressed fibres like in felt. It can be cut with sharp tools, but hardly a chance you could tear it accidentally.

The surface, straight out of bag, is fairly flat. Still, it consists of small fibres with slight texture and colour variation. In this basic shape it might look like hard, brown desert floor or very dry plains. The trick is that you can apply a stiff brush to it, raising some of the fibres to form a grassy texture. That's what I plan to do with mine. Then just drybrush around with greens and yellows to add as much life as you wish. There are two sides (!) so you can keep one side desert-brown and turn the other green, paint both or whatever you happen to need.

So, kind of simple invention. Dense, thin fibre mat with a natural colour. Nothing truly spectacular by itself, but very sturdy and a fine basis for your own ideas. Maybe something similar could be found in hardware stores, at least for this brown version. Nevertheless, Antenociti's price is quite affordable, especially as this comes directly in common gaming sizes and probably lasts a lifetime.

More comments coming after I've tried various tweaks and played a few games on it.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 10:53:28 AM »
If the Antenociti one is not available soon, has anyone used the GW one:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440158a&prodId=prod2060001

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
I thought the GW one was static grass-based? Looks like they mighthave changed it...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »
I have the old static grass one on my table now, but I need to shrink my table from 6'x7' to 2mx1.25m, and these new felt mats look just the thing to be interchangable, I want a green and a desert one, I already have a space one.
I have the old GW city map still in its tube that I want to glue onto the base board for urban games, then I can lay mats on top.