Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690839
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I have a Dremel! Well, and now?  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
I have a Dremel! Well, and now?
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
Hi all,

at last I bought a Dremel 300 (Minimum 2000 RPM).

As I read different opinions about this object, I'm very interested to know what is the way in which you use it, and which tool do you use for the different jobs.
It's suitable for working on miniatures (filing, drilling, etc) or it's only use is for "stronger" scenic elements and scratchbuilt projects?

Thank you for any hint, suggestion, or warning!

Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: I have a Dremel! Well, and now?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
Hi all,

at last I bought a Dremel 300 (Minimum 2000 RPM).

As I read different opinions about this object, I'm very interested to know what is the way in which you use it, and which tool do you use for the different jobs.
It's suitable for working on miniatures (filing, drilling, etc) or it's only use is for "stronger" scenic elements and scratchbuilt projects?

Thank you for any hint, suggestion, or warning!

Marco

As usual, experimenting is king.

I use mine, quite extensively, for:

* drilling, make sure to lube the bit with mineral thinner/oil before or the bit will get stuck and snap, which is very bad news. Be sure to use lowest possiblke speed when you drill plastic because the plastic will melt and cause a larger hole due to the friction/heat of the bit. I find that the dremel doesn't work very well for drill bits >4-5mm

* sawing, there are thin circular saw blades which I use for wood and plastic

* cutting, the various emery disks is excellent for turning 25mm washers to slotta bases. I also use these disk for cutting piano wire and such (they tend so dent the edge of cutting pliers)

* filing, polishing; I used the silicon disk for this as the grind stones tend to get clogged due to the relative softness of white metal

*cutters, I use these things to remove large amounts of material quickly, these tend to clog and needs to be cleaned often.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:15:50 PM »
I love my Dremel.

I use mine principally for cleaning up metal miniatures, removing flash, mould lines, lumps, bumps and pits. Use the rotary steel brush for this, and just watch all those nasty imperfections get vapourised away leaving a smooth shiny surface for painting  :)

In fact, sometimes I go further and reshape the figures somewhat... Sharpen up spear points, make horses' rumps more rounded, reduce the crown or brim of a floppy hat, and so on.

A note of caution though:
1. The first time you use a new steel brush, it can be a bit fierce and leave slight striations on the figure, so best to keep an old figure or two handy and use these to break in a new brush. Once it's softened slightly after a few minutes use, it will not leave any more striations. The brass brushes are slightly softer, but not quite as effective and don't last as long.
2. At the other end of the life of a steel rotary brush, after 20 or 30 figures, the brush has usually had it. It starts to fray and throw off tiny steel splinters - very nasty if they hit you in the eyeball (I know from bitter experience) so use goggles.
I tend to buy half a dozen brushes at a time off eBay, they're only a pound or two each (GBP) use them on 20 or 30 figures, then chuck them away.

Secondly I use my Dremel for drilling with a very fine drill - drilling out hands, drilling into the underneath of riders so I can mount them on a pin / steel wire to paint them. And so on.

Thirdly I use it for terrain making, mainly using a mini rotary sanding drum. Sand away all sorts of crud / moulding imperfections from resin buildings. Sand plastic card or balsa to shape for bases. Sand away pink / blue foam to make depressions for roads or rivers, or to shape hills and slopes.

Having seen what Hammers uses his for, I'm now going to try some of those as well. Didn't realise you could use it as a saw (not sure how that works, as the thing turns round and doesn't go backwards and forwards, but I'm keen to find out!  ;))

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:25:52 PM »
Hammers and the Capt have pretty much coved it but as a slight aside you can also use household washing up liquid as a lubricant if you can't get hold of machine oil, makes you figures smell nice aswell  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »

Use the rotary steel brush for this, and just watch all those nasty imperfections get vapourised away leaving a smooth shiny surface for painting  

I recoiled, sort of, when I read this. A steel brush is way to harsh on the minis in my experience. I am sure Richard has found a way to make it work but I suggest the silicon disk instead. It has embedded steel granulates which does the work but is kinder to the fig.

A Dremel used with tools like this kicks up a powerful amount of metal dust. I am a bit careless with this but after I have gotten the stuff in my eyes and nose enough times I have acquired safety glasses and a dust mask. Many miniatures still contain lead and dust and vapours are not going to make your system any good, not at all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:47:54 PM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:46:37 PM »
Hammers and the Capt have pretty much coved it but as a slight aside you can also use household washing up liquid as a lubricant if you can't get hold of machine oil, makes you figures smell nice aswell  :)

cheers

James

I use enamel thinner or sewing machine oil. Needs to be cleaned off though or the acrylic paint won't stick.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »

Having seen what Hammers uses his for, I'm now going to try some of those as well. Didn't realise you could use it as a saw (not sure how that works, as the thing turns round and doesn't go backwards and forwards, but I'm keen to find out!  ;))

Cutting out windows is a good example.

A razor saw would not have worked since the openings are in the middle of the material. Cutting 3mm hard plastic with a carpet knife may give you better precision but is pretty hard going. The thin circular steel saw jumps and flexes a bit but cuts quickly.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:11 PM »
As regards drilling with the Dremel (or anything else), you really need the shank attachment. This is a long, thin, snaky tube that moves the bit away from the heavy body of the machine and allows pinpoint control. You probably also want to get some different-sized collets so you can use a wide variety of bit sizes.

Personally, in addition to drilling and sawing, I like using some scrolling/engraving bits, as these are very useful for chewing away larger areas of unwanted metal (or plastic). Great for drilling out the mouths of horns, removing excess metal from undercuts or hollowing out necks to take replacement heads.

2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
Once you become comfortable with your Dremel you will discover that it can be used for everything.  :)  Really, how did hobbyists (and DIY'ers) exist before the invention of the Dremel Motor Tool?

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
Thank you very much, lads!

A very comprehensive and exaustive analysys of Dremel's range of jobs.
 :)
Marco

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »
Once you become comfortable with your Dremel you will discover that it can be used for everything.  :)  Really, how did hobbyists (and DIY'ers) exist before the invention of the Dremel Motor Tool?

Next Captain Blood will tell you he brushes his teeth with the steel brush attachment.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 08:07:41 PM »
had mine for about 3 years... still no idea what half the attachments are actually for... somehow I manage to cut and sand though... probably using the wrong bits...

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »
Dremel
One of my most useful tool is the Dremel, what I use with it is small drills bits for holes, high speed cutters (e.g. routers) for removing bulk and finishing, same with sanding bands, for cutting I use hobby craft saw blades these are very thin and leave a fine cut not much wastage, don’t have a use for grinding stones as these clog up to quick.
 This site shows the saw blades I use in my Dremel they idle for cutting arms and legs of miniatures as there not much waste, the cut is around .5mm to 1mm but I must stress you need use a vice and safety goggles when using the Dremel.
Vice I use is the Game Workshop one.

As Dremel don’t make the fine cutting blades here is the site, you my be able to buy them were you live.
Look down the page to part no. RSA202/22 22mm Fine Cutting Saws, there is 3 sizes 15/19/22mm I use the 22mm as that’s all my hobby shop had in at the time.

http://hobbytools-direct.com/acatalog/Accessories_for_Cutting___Grinding.html

BLOG
http://jnrpaintshop.blogspot.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:18 AM »
Next up....... how I injured myself with my Dremel?!  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 12:26:27 AM »
had mine for about 3 years... still no idea what half the attachments are actually for... somehow I manage to cut and sand though... probably using the wrong bits...

Same here… ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/