Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:15:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "The Fight for Ward's Crossing". Sharp Practice battle report- Full report...  (Read 28927 times)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
I thought I looked quite dashing  ;D

Great days gaming  :D Thanks again for hosting  8)

I concur with the second para .... the first..... am not qute so sure!   lol

Was indeed a great days gaming..... the change of light reveals how long, accompanied throughout by tunes from the Alamo soundtrack and then, somewhat spookingly as the main battle raged, the sound of fireworks from outside.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
I concur with the second para .... the first..... am not qute so sure!   lol

Was indeed a great days gaming..... the change of light reveals how long, accompanied throughout by tunes from the Alamo soundtrack and then, somewhat spookingly as the main battle raged, the sound of fireworks from outside.

No comment on Mr Bibbly's delusions about his looks ;)

I think we played for something close to 10 hours. It certainly didnt feel like a marathon slog and the battle could have gone either way on many occasions. It was certainly a very close thing, I am confident we shall get a good deal of mileage out of the rules.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Davy Crockett, sniped once - missed.
Gregorio Mendoza, chosen man, sniped three, hit three - two 'big men' and one Davy Crockett. Dead  :D

Ah one shouldn't gloat, but I did enjoy that (sorry James  ;))

I was a little worried when I first saw the rules ran to three volumes! But they were fairly straightforward once you got going...
Not without a few flaws though.
The random card activation, for instance, seems to require a bit of work. As I discovered when, after my first move, I ran a unit of Mexican infantry across the dusty square - after which they totally failed to activate. At all, for the next SEVEN moves. Their card simply never came up. So they just stood there whilst the assembled Texians poured fire into them from the surrounding rooftops. For seven rounds! Miraculously, none of them were killed - but they took a ludicrous amount of shock points. In reality, even lacking initiative, after a couple of rounds of this, a unit in these circumstances would have fallen back to cover, rather than just standing there and taking a beating.
So this is one rule we agreed we would introduce in any future game - a discretionary withdrawal to nearest cover if no activation is forthcoming after say, three rounds...

Apart from that. Jolly good show  :)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Not without a few flaws though.
The random card activation, for instance, seems to require a bit of work. As I discovered when, after my first move, I ran a unit of Mexican infantry across the dusty square - after which they totally failed to activate. At all, for the next SEVEN moves. Their card simply never came up. So they just stood there whilst the assembled Texians poured fire into them from the surrounding rooftops. For seven rounds!

We allow units not activated during the turn to fall back as if they lost their bottle (in other words they have to move away from all visible threats). Makes perfect sense.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Wouldn't they be allowed to act upon the tea break card and shoot at the nearest enemy?

Or didn't that make it to Sharpe?
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
They were shooting when the tiffin (taquila) card was pulled out but stood standing there like buffoons  lol

Oh, and Richard... I'll get my own back at some point  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
We allow units not activated during the turn to fall back as if they lost their bottle (in other words they have to move away from all visible threats). Makes perfect sense.

This is an option I have in my F&IW version (added after a try-out game in which a group were repeatedly passed by hordes of scalping indians and did exactly nothing for turn after turn).  Unfortunately, on Friday night I forgot all about it.... D'oh.   I was playing in the third scenario rather than being 'rules monitor' and as it hadn't cropped up before I was probably too intent on trying to hold the eastern flank of the town square (not that I succeeded, as I eventually ran away).

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
Well made figures, brilliantly painted and then involved in a great looking game is sort of insperation that really gets you thining about a new project - and I have to say this thread ticks all the boxes.

So my 'no new lead this year' (already broken in a small way) vow may now become 'no new lead till the end of June!' vow!

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Brilliant collection of minis and terrain and well summarized report.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Sambeaux

• Schoolboy
In the rule the group in the open may move towards cover at 1D6 inch per turn if they stand in the open like you say.  So they fire and withdraw towards cover.  This seems covered to me.

Also, I do not understand that the rules are three volumes.  I have only one book.  Is this not right?

These pictures are very wonderful. I am painting my figures for my first game with Sharp Practice and very much look forward to it.

Offline timg

• Scientist
Ah jist caint berlieve ol Davey done missed! Never happened when he was shooting baars back in Tennersee, why it's a regular sin aginst Crockett pard................

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
 lol

For those of us on the Texian side, Davey's performance was something of a disappointment!

In the rule the group in the open may move towards cover at 1D6 inch per turn if they stand in the open like you say.  So they fire and withdraw towards cover. 

Ahh, I don't remember reading a rule quite like that; can you point me to where it is?  Thanks  :)

Also, I do not understand that the rules are three volumes.  I have only one book.  Is this not right?

The printed set comes as one volume but I bought the pdf, which I then printed and bound (along with my own F&IW notes) as three.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
I am sure it wasn' the real Davy Crockett, perhaps it was just someone who looked like him ;) lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Maybe he was pissed off at you all calling him "Davy." I hear he didn't care for that nickname.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...