Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:21:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: The Last Hurrah Project: 03/26/24 The Twisted Tower photo stage update  (Read 1148360 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Lisnin to wot some o dem kids and ting round ere is sayin', like, it nuff scares me to fink wot is called English and shit dese days....innit!

What Shaw said about the English & Americans could be used to refer to the difference in generations also: "We are two people separated by a common language."

The aforementioned Gatlag & I were also discussing how wonderful Morheim characters sound with names that are or sound German. I had one particularly rotund Hero who I named Otto Von Kummerspeck. Kummerspeck refers to weight gained from emotional distress; the literal translation is "grief bacon". German is a wonderful language.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Dang, if anyone could scare the trees in the Spooky Wood, it would have to be these adventurers! I love the pointy noses and hats.

I'm excited to hear your recipe for the dirt. I was so afraid you were going to tell us that came from your Mother Nature too! :)

And that Pecan Tree is wild  :o!

Jevenkah

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
German names/ words- this most likely will be a bit boring so I apologise beforehand:

spukhaft- would be the closest, at least from a purely translational point of view, Spuk= a spook. Outside of books/ movies I've never seen or heard that used though. What you'd call 'a ghostly apparition' in German is 'eine spukhafte or geisterhafte Erscheinung'.
Nobody would say 'dieser Wald ist spukhaft'- 'this wood is spooky', you'd say 'dieser Wald ist unheimlich/ gruselig'.

There's lots of words that roughly go into the same direction, some of which can be used mostly synonimously. Like in English it always depends a bit on the context.

gespenstisch, geisterhaft- Gespenst & Geist both mean ghost, so this is more like ghostly, spectral, ghastly, eldritch
unheimlich- creepy, eerie, unearthly
gruselig- creepy, eerie, gruesome
schaurig- scary, creepy, eerie, spine-chilling/ bone-chilling.
grausig- ghastly, grissly, horrible, gruesome
schauderhaft- dreadfull, horrible, direful

Wald- woods
Forst- forrest
Hag -though you'll hardly ever hear that used for woods it can have that meaning as well, it's more an old and nowadays seldom used word that means something like 'hedge' or 'fence' as well. A fairly ancient word for witch (Hexe) was hagazussa - often thought to mean something along the lines of someone sitting (riding) on a hedge or fence. Unlike hag in English it's pronounced with a long a, like in lard or tar.

So for a name you could choose something like 'Schauderwald' ('Dreadwood'),  'Grauswald' or 'Grauenswald'.  Grauswald sounds more like an old fashioned name for a person though- like Sigismund or Theoderich or 'Schrat von Grauswald' (a 'Schrat' is something somewhere in between woodwose and bugbear, I think in the German D&D stuff that's the word they use for bugbears).
'Schreckenswald' (Schreck= fright, horror; jemandem einen Schrecken einjagen= to frighten somebody, 'jagen' means hunt so literally translated that'd be 'to hunt/ chase someone into a fright').
'Geisterwald' ('Ghostwood'), 'Spukwald' ('Spookwood')
sanity is for cowards

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Thanks, Jevenkah!

Dang, if anyone could scare the trees in the Spooky Wood, it would have to be these adventurers! I love the pointy noses and hats.

Those are G.W.'s plastic Night Goblins from the 6th edition. I think they have the merriest, maniacal expressions...like little caricatures of Marty Feldman

I'm excited to hear your recipe for the dirt. I was so afraid you were going to tell us that came from your Mother Nature too! :)[/qoute]

Glad to be of some assistance. The tacky glue is especially useful for large, flexible surfaces; re, it remains pliant, preventing the cracking to which normal white glues such as Elmer's are subject.

And that Pecan Tree is wild  :o!

Jevenkah

Back home on Long Island, I lived in a pretty heavily wooded area, but I must admit to being pretty impressed with Texas flora. It lacks the height of Eastern trees. However, the trees tend to be twisted with unique personalities all their own...I can emphasize with them.

AND Ink, thanks for the FANTASTIC German lesson! My friend (mein Freund) Tom List from the Boring Mordheim Forum bearing his name, when he had the time, gave me insights into how to phrase names & such so as to sound right to a German speaking person...I usually screwed them up.

Offline Painting Princess

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 05/21/13: Spooky Woods #1 Mostly Done
« Reply #1144 on: May 24, 2013, 02:59:30 AM »
Thanks, Princess, & congratulations: you're the first one to notice the new chimney on Heep's Place. I'm delighted you are enjoying The Project...sounds like part of a slum...appropriate.

When you get up the motivation, do give the Wonderland Board a try. It will make a GREAT background for photographing your pieces & all sorts of ideas for new ones. I found this thread inspiring...you might also (caveat:the first photo is missing, but the rest of them are still there):

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=15892.0

Cool, eh?!

Thanks, there are some cool ideas in that thread! I do like the skull and the tree with the eyes ... definitely some food for thought!

At this stage, I'm kind of leaning towards something quite small (more of a backdrop diorama than a playing board) but will see when I get around to it!

Lisnin to wot some o dem kids and ting round ere is sayin', like, it nuff scares me to fink wot is called English and shit dese days....innit!

It's true! I find I'm constantly disturbed by the not-so-slow and steady disintegration of language these days! It's not even just English! I saw someone write something in Spanish on Facebook just this morning and had to read it about five times before I figured out what they were saying!

AND that's way too many exclamation marks ;)

Back to more important things: DeafNala, the board looks awesome, the minis mischievous and that backyard tree is definitely explaining some of the elements of your Spooky Woods! ;)

I vote for "Spukwald" or "Schreckenswald", by the way. Sounds a bit more comical, to match the quirky-come-sinister vibe of the board and the minis! And the latter reminds me of Shrek. Just sayin' ;)

The Princess Diaries (painting blog): http://painting-princess.blogspot.com.au/
Battle of Frogonia blog: http://battle-of-frogonia.blogspot.com.au/
Z Scale Steam Ventures (model railway blog): http://steam-ventures.blogspot.com.au/

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
DeafNala - you're welcome. Playing with language can be much fun, it also can have some unforeseen side effects- I now want to convert something into the exemplary Schrat von Grauswald...

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 05/21/13: Spooky Woods #1 Mostly Done
« Reply #1146 on: May 24, 2013, 02:22:49 PM »
Thanks once more for all the WONDERFUL feedback. In addition to the motivation provided, replying to the kind commentary is getting me back into narration mode.

Thanks, there are some cool ideas in that thread! I do like the skull and the tree with the eyes ... definitely some food for thought!

At this stage, I'm kind of leaning towards something quite small (more of a backdrop diorama than a playing board) but will see when I get around to it!

Rut's Garden would be a bit much for a first project, but borrowing some ideas for small Puppet Stage style shelf layout might be a possibility. If you make the scenery pieces removable, you'd have an ever changing photographic backdrop for your minis.

AND that's way too many exclamation marks ;)

Exclamation points are a sign of enthusiasm; I use BOLD LETTERED, CAPITALIZED  WORDS as a substitute...AND iy's always nice to have another enthusiast around.

Back to more important things: DeafNala, the board looks awesome, the minis mischievous and that backyard tree is definitely explaining some of the elements of your Spooky Woods! ;)

I vote for "Spukwald" or "Schreckenswald", by the way. Sounds a bit more comical, to match the quirky-come-sinister vibe of the board and the minis! And the latter reminds me of Shrek. Just sayin' ;)

Thanks again for the positive feedback & suggestions. Both names would fit the area around Heep's place & I could go for a more sinister name for the other side of The Swamp...where the Dead don't rest easy (insert B Horror Movie theme music here.

DeafNala - you're welcome. Playing with language can be much fun, it also can have some unforeseen side effects- I now want to convert something into the exemplary Schrat von Grauswald...

When I was the Group Painter for my AD&D Gang I keep a book of names that would pop into my head...NPCs with cool name tend to get killed on sight. I've started a new one.
I like that name; it remind me of Reaper's Matthias the Twisted (though I wish it was, this is not my brushwork):

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/02867/latest/02867#detail/02867_Mattias

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
That's a nice sculpt by Bobby Jackson. I just placed an order with Reaper last night and didn't know then that I really want this figure. Timing, it always comes down to timing....

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
That's a nice sculpt by Bobby Jackson. I just placed an order with Reaper last night and didn't know then that I really want this figure. Timing, it always comes down to timing....

Sounds like moi. Despite keeping a running list of minis I'd like from Reaper, there is always one or two I miss when I order. When I hit the Hobby Stores, I invariably go for that Oh-So-Cool mini only to find its the same Oh-So-Cool mini I bought a month before.

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
I picked up two Black Orcs

I got this one by Bobby.

And this one by Tre.

Do you have any sculpts by Victoria Lamb?

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Those are cool minis that I haven't gotten around to buying...yet. I love Victoria L's creations also; they're still on my someday list.

The last Tre Miniature I did was this one:

...the usual awful photos of a very nicely sculpted piece.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
The last Tre Miniature I did was this one....

And a lovely job you made of him, too.
 :-* :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Thanks, Paul. I'm glad you like him despite the photos. He is be part of a small Adventuring Party/War Band. Once the rest of the Group has been painted, I'll do another set of photos at Heep's Place.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
I love the folds of the gauntlets, nicely done! The shield is brilliantly detailed too. How many studs are in the back of it?  o_o

Jevenkah

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I love the folds of the gauntlets, nicely done!

Thanks MUCHO, Jevenkah.

The shield is brilliantly detailed too. How many studs are in the back of it?  o_o

Jevenkah

Since you asked, I counted the suckers up; there are 17 studs/rivets counting the 3 holding the straps. If there was one more stud, it would have counted as a Victorian Science Fiction miniature.