Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: The Last Hurrah Project: 04/25/24 Mushroom & Mini-Me Mushroom Done!  (Read 1167943 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
In all my years here, how have I managed never to read this thread?

The discerning good taste of your sixth sense finally gave up the ghost & let you check out all the weirdness...or some such thing.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff.  I love the bunkers!

Thanks very much for the reply, Momotaro. I'm glad you enjoyed your first visit.

Ooh that slime looks revolting and highly toxic. I don't want to touch it, :D you painted it superbly. Well done! I like the little hand too, the poor technician was too late.

Cheers
Matt

Thanks again, Matt. I was rather pleasantly surprised at how well the slime went over with everyone. The hand & what remains of the arm was a spur of the moment bit of inspiration that turned out pretty, if somewhat disturbingly, nicely.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Absolutely disgusting, mate!
 :o :o :o

;)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Absolutely disgusting, mate!
 :o :o :o

;)

Thanks, Paul...it's a unique experience having "disgusting" taken as a compliment, but what the heck.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Love the hand!  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Love the hand!  lol

Thanks, Fram. I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Last Hurrah Project:Updated 7/20/14 Something Old, Something New
« Reply #1925 on: July 20, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »
When I moved from Long Island to Texas way back in the Miserable Winter of 2010, I took along a few W.I.P. pieces. This one was supposed to be an extension to the Mordheim boards I had made for erstwhile friend Mack. It's been gathering a thick layer of dust  ever since:

While I was working on Dr. J's Sci-Fi terrain I kept staring at this board...staring at things is one of those things that Old Men do. I started picturing it as a Froudian/floedebollesque Goblin style Mordheim Slum. SO I added a few more foundations, changed the heights of a few of the existing foundations, finished carving the cobblestones/pavers, added the sewer grates, & did my white on black primer coat:

SO this will be another aspect of my ongoing Project. Which part gets more attention God only knows...& He won't spill the beans. Be that as it may, your comments, as always, would be most welcome.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #1926 on: July 20, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
 I too have been doing stuff lately with pink foam too.Been busy slapping pollyfiller on mine and undercoating some pieces black.It is hard for me to get going on stuff and i have lots of half done projects.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish this board section.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1927 on: July 20, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
I too have been doing stuff lately with pink foam too.Been busy slapping pollyfiller on mine and undercoating some pieces black.It is hard for me to get going on stuff and i have lots of half done projects.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish this board section.

Thanks for the reply, manic_miner.
I agree; i.e., it is FAR easier to start a piece than to finish it. With the terrain pieces, there always seems to be something else that needs to be added to the Beasty. With this one there is just SO MUCH stuff to do that it could very well seem to be overwhelming; ergo, I intend to savor the project & enjoy all the little embellishments that get done as I do them. I keep a photo journal of the progress & post it here. B the time it get done it the overall photos could be an epic event...or not.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #1928 on: July 20, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »
 It does look like a walkway spanning two of the sections.Cant really tell from the pictures down over though.

I got some more pink foam sheets from work this week.The garage is starting to get filled with it ;).

Might try to watch Labrynth again and see how the Goblin town looks.Would be a great project.Or look into creating a setting for my Goblins.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1929 on: July 20, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
Hmmm, so we'll be going full urban eventually, eh? I guess your seaside town will have some competition.

Interesting!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1930 on: July 20, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »
It does look like a walkway spanning two of the sections.Cant really tell from the pictures down over though.

There is a stairway wrapped around the one building that leads to an archway that spans the street & connects to that square building. At that point it's 4" above the pavement.

I got some more pink foam sheets from work this week.The garage is starting to get filled with it ;).

Might try to watch Labrynth again and see how the Goblin town looks.Would be a great project.Or look into creating a setting for my Goblins.

I'd love to have some stills of the Goblin Town from Labyrinth. Trying to model it from the film would be just too frustrating to consider. This is going to be more of a stem punk Mordheim thingy.
Have FUN with the foam!

Hmmm, so we'll be going full urban eventually, eh? I guess your seaside town will have some competition.

Interesting!

Well...they'll be separate boards. This one will probably be a stand alone board. The Spooky Woods & Heep's Place is going to get another board also. It will be a separate entity from the Graveyard/Shanty Town/Isles of Langerhans Boards. The Smugglers Cove should fit with nicely on the far side of the Isles. With zero possibilities for using the pieces as gaming boards, they don't have to be contiguous entities although being able to combine them is an attractive possibility.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:18:38 PM by DeafNala »

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #1931 on: July 21, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
When it comes to terrain projects I find starting them is the hardest part. I always want to plan them out and have just the right lay-out before I start cutting and shaping. The middle part goes quite well, as I continue work on making it all fit together. Then the final hurdle is painting it. That's my other kryptonite. I have a number of projects at the 'purchased materials' stage, and a few projects at the 'all done but the painting' stage. Not many at the half done stage.

And now for questions, because I want to make a board just like that. (I won't actually start it, but I want to know anyway.)
How big is the base board?
Do you coat the pink stuff before you paint it?
If so, with what?
If not, do you ever have problems with rough handling damaging the surface of the boards? 

That's enough for now. Love what you've done so far. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1932 on: July 21, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »
When it comes to terrain projects I find starting them is the hardest part. I always want to plan them out and have just the right lay-out before I start cutting and shaping. The middle part goes quite well, as I continue work on making it all fit together. Then the final hurdle is painting it. That's my other kryptonite. I have a number of projects at the 'purchased materials' stage, and a few projects at the 'all done but the painting' stage. Not many at the half done stage.

Most of my creations, such as they are, are pretty spontaneous affairs with a minimal amount of planning. I just get an image/idea of what I want to do. The area I have to work with is my limiting factor...this might explain why my piece tend to get so tall. I've noticed there is a stalling factor going from primed/base coated to painting...this happens with the minis also. Once I come up with the color scheme, things flow smoothly again.

And now for questions, because I want to make a board just like that. (I won't actually start it, but I want to know anyway.)
How big is the base board?
Do you coat the pink stuff before you paint it?
If so, with what?
If not, do you ever have problems with rough handling damaging the surface of the boards? 

That's enough for now. Love what you've done so far. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

The board is 2' X 2'.

Once I've done whatever cutting/carving I intend to do I thoroughly paint the piece with a thin coat of black acrylic paint & dry brush with white. The thorough coat of black is to protect the foam from the effect of the spray finish's acidic propellant.

The edges of the board & protruding sections are subject to damage, scratches & dings, but then most things will break if handled roughly enough. The foam is fairly tough stuff; AND has the advantage of being easily repaired.

Thanks for the reply...I'm glad you like it thus far. Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind; I don't plan on taking any secret techniques to the grave.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #1933 on: July 22, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »
That looks awesome. I'm off on a Froudian kick at the moment. Looking forward to seeing more work done on this

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1934 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Thug...that got my day off to a FINE start. I am becoming more of a Froud Fan; I hadn't realized the extend of his WONDERFUL concept art until recently...the man is a Master of Whimsy.