Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:29:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dixon Old West your opinons please  (Read 4698 times)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Dixon Old West your opinons please
« on: February 28, 2011, 05:12:21 AM »
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting some Dixon old west miniatures but am not really sure (pics on the website are not that great) but the prices are pretty good.
What are your opinions (disclamer I am a fantasy guy and know nothing about old west ranges, just want to paint up something different).

Thanks in advance
Damien

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dixon Old West your opinons please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:17:59 AM »
The Dixon range has a certain charm and I have a bunch of those. The main downside is that the heads are generally too big, even though some of them are still nice. I also have Foundry and Artizan and they are better value for your money. The Foundry ones can be picked up on ebay by seller davet329 at similar prices as Dixon.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:58 AM »
Scroll through postings in the Bazaar for the recent ones painted by Bugsda for good clear pics of what the Dixon ones look like.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:48 AM »
Thank you for your opinions, I think I may look up the Foundry dealer.

Thanks again
Damien

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:09:37 AM »
I've got a few, but you have to pick the ones you want. The Mexican bandits are good! You'll also find a lot of character figures that aren't available elsewhere

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
The Dixon range has a certain charm and I have a bunch of those. The main downside is that the heads are generally too big, even though some of them are still nice. I also have Foundry and Artizan and they are better value for your money. The Foundry ones can be picked up on ebay by seller davet329 at similar prices as Dixon.

I only have some Dixon ACW minis, but most of those have the same problem with their heads.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »
Any excuse to self promote   ;)

Two Dixon's

Two Foundry's

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 02:52:14 AM »
Even with those heads they have a lot of character and they seem to paint up nice (example Bugsda), one reason I thought of picking Dixon is I saw somewhere some painted pics of their samurai (big heads and all) and I thought they looked really nice.

Also wargamesmini.com are having a clearance (.50 cents a mini!), only problem (for me) is their shipping rates (Canada 17.50$). US shipping is pretty good though at 6.75$

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://wargamesminis.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300

Thanks for the opinions
Damien

Offline Burnt65

• Scientist
    • KEGS gaming site
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 04:08:16 AM »
Of the Wild West figs I have (Old Glory, Foundry, Blue Moon, Knuckleduster, RAFM, Dixon and probably some odds and sods) Dixon is my least favourite sculpt.
But they still paint up well and I wouldn't (and don't) have any problem putting them on the table
Keith

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:54:20 AM »
...only problem (for me) is their shipping rates (Canada 17.50$)...

Compared to direct sales, that's a bargain.  I have a bunch of Dixon's old west stuff that I got when they had a North American distributor and wouldn't mind a few more.  I'll be gosh durned if I'll pay 50% shipping costs for ordering direct, though.  That's just a little ridiculous considering somebody like Artizan can ship worldwide for only 10%.  Even the much maligned Foundry doesn't charge that kind of money and, in fact, for certain types of orders doesn't charge anything.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »
I agree about Dixon's shipping prices. I guess they don't want to sell to anyone in North or South America.

Thanks,

John
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 02:24:13 AM »
Even with those heads they have a lot of character and they seem to paint up nice (example Bugsda), one reason I thought of picking Dixon is I saw somewhere some painted pics of their samurai (big heads and all) and I thought they looked really nice.

Also wargamesmini.com are having a clearance (.50 cents a mini!), only problem (for me) is their shipping rates (Canada 17.50$). US shipping is pretty good though at 6.75$

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://wargamesminis.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300

Thanks for the opinions
Damien

Thats a good sale, but alas' I missed the fella in the coffin  :-[.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 12:17:38 AM »
They were nice when they came out but I have switched over to better lines now.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 12:45:18 AM »
Hi Grey Ghost, which ones? It seems like foundry minis dominate but lately I've been looking at Black Scorpion miniatures; how do they size up with Foundry?

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 02:40:08 AM »
Hi Grey Ghost, which ones? It seems like foundry minis dominate but lately I've been looking at Black Scorpion miniatures; how do they size up with Foundry?
Hey, Damien (sorry I'm not the Grey Ghost, I just saw the question  lol) Black Scorpion are a little bit bigger than Foundry. I find that new Foundry, Artizan, Brigade and Crusader go with each other very well. Look at the Old West section on Prof's Witchhunter.net website, he has a nice scale chart on there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:24:11 AM by goon3423 »