Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Do these look futuristic enough?  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Do these look futuristic enough?
« on: March 24, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »

I'm working on a security force for my spaceport project and I've decided to add some aerospace fighters and some group vehicles to the project.  For the ground vehicles I'm thinking of using these die cast "Hummers" I found at a local Dollar General for $2 each.  Sorry the pic doesn't really feature the little SUVs but I think you can get the idea. 
I picked them up for Shadowrun but the sci-fi setting I'm using them in is set in the year 3031.  The entire solar system has been colonized through a combination of Tera forming and other lower tech colony types.  Interplanetary travel is common and there is hover technology but a lot of vehicles are wheeled because wheeled vehicles work just fine and they are cheaper and easier to maintain.  This is a Cowboy Be Bop/Firefly type of setting and they both used wheeled vehicles quite a bit. 
I'm just wondering if these look "Futuristic" enough.  They are concept designs and they kinda remind me of the Halo Warthog but I just don't know if they look too recognizable and dated. 

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Do these look futuristic enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:24:36 PM »
nothing wrong with their appearance, but they like very small, specialy when you look at the size of a hummer IRL.  :?
adding to that the large size of those fighters, things really seem out of scale.
I wouldn't mind smaller scale vehicles on a table, but then they all should match.
28mm figs, small vehicles and oversized jets gives you three different scales on one table.

my 2cts.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Parriah

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
LOVE the figs! Who makes them? How much conversion did you do there?

But,
Yeah I gotta agree with the other guy, the scales just don't mix very well, maybe if you open up the ships and put in seats that would fit the dudes in front, and not as importantly, do a little conversion work on the hummers, the scale there is not too bad off.

But the project looks cool. I think I saw the collection on another thread. Liked them there!
Quality has a quantity of its own
FIAWOL!
Br549

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
I think the hummers look fine and the ships will look good once you've done your usual canopy paint job on them.
A fine addition to your project.

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
I too think they look a bit small, but it's not dramatic. However, I would "futurize" them a bit by gluing bits and pieces of plasticard on them. Full hubcaps à la Akira could look good with minimal effort:

I'd also do something to the front of the vehicle. A little plasticard could really "de-Hummerize" your models. Finally, by simply adding a few 28mm accessories to them, they could pass for fast and compact 2 seaters instead of underscaled juggernauts, especially since I believe you paint your canopies. I really like your project BTW. I'm always curious to see which childhood toy of mine is gonna show up in it!

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
I'm skeptical to be honest.  The Hummer design is very recognizable. In my opinion, it would look out of place in a futuristic setting, even one that relies on durable, low tech vehicles.  Maybe they would be okay with some modifications to make them less recognizable.

Offline Ulu Elsomalien

• Scientist
  • Prepainted General
    • Prépeint & Cie
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
Nice scale (they're 1/43 IIRC). You painted them metallic blue ? (mine is olive)
Add flashlights, smoke launchers , additionnal armour, antenna and big mounted guns !
A word for miniatures, scenery and rules compulsive buying ? Zhobbyllness !

Ulu Elsomalien

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 05:28:48 PM »
I think they're workable but I'd tweak them a bit such as smoothing the hubs as already mentioned.

That said, I'm using pimped Hummers in my own future wars project so I guess I'm biased!

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
Cars are too small, jets are a little big but given that they are all fuselage and almost no engine or space for fuel, it could work.  Very spacious cockpit.

The minis are Reaper Chronoscope Nova Corp.  They can paint up nicely.  Do a search on this site and you'll find some really good examples (and my own pitiful attempts to imitate).

Offline Ironblood

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
I theink the newschool hummer in the pic work fine for 2-3 man reocn FAV type vehicles , like mini jeep sized hummers of the future.  70 years later a jeep is still recognisable as a jeep, I dont see why the same would not hold true in the future.  Maybe hummr mfg's some smaller lighter more economic vehicles in the future.  The flight craft look fine as well imo, might need to scratch build some sort of 2 man split level seat to make it look propper though. look like a small near future puddle jumper type of craft.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 10:09:50 PM »
I think the hummers look fine and the ships will look good once you've done your usual canopy paint job on them.
A fine addition to your project.

I have to agree with Matakishi here. Most other people and I might be doubtful, but given your previous work with re-scaling I doubt it'll be a problem. The 'hummers' once 'teched up' a bit will be fine as two man patrol vehicles or quad bike type things and I'm pretty sure I've seen you scale down a bird similar to the ones at the back.
Looking forwards to seeing more of them,
Duncan

Offline stroblight

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »
Really like your project concept/execution.  If you decide your blue hummers are a tad small, check out Big Lots for the bag of plastic army men that include the trucks shown in this thread:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=20016.0

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 10:57:14 PM »

The ships re-scale just fine.  :D

As far as the hummers they are $2.00 1/43rd scale toys so if they were true to scale they would be even smaller.  These are a "concept" Hummer design I would assume they are not as large as a regular Hummer or Humvee.  One of the reasons I went for them is because even thought they were 1/43rd they looked about jeep sized and not massive like a 1/43rd regular hummer would look.  I'm thinking about futurising them a bit but my budget is really limmited and so is my time at the moment so I'm not sure yet how much extra work I can do on them.  I might be able to make plastic card disk to cover the hub caps.  That might future them up a bit without getting out of hand time/money wise.  I don't know.  I like the smoke launcher and antenna idea.   :)

They are suppose to be two man patrol vehicles.  More like an all terrain cop car than an APC.  The paintjobs are stock.  I'm planning on painting them up as "black and whites" and adding a light bar and decals. 

I'm keeping the nova guys paint jobs simple but this is just an early wip shot.   

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 11:06:08 PM »
Really like your project concept/execution.  If you decide your blue hummers are a tad small, check out Big Lots for the bag of plastic army men that include the trucks shown in this thread:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=20016.0

Thanks for pointing me to that thread.  I've been looking for it.  Actually I was palnning on getting a set of these for making an APC or two for the security force as well.  They were all over the flippin place a couple months ago but I've been unable to locate them in the last week.  :D

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 03:06:45 AM »

I take back the oversized remark. that's one fine rescaling-paint job there.  :o
Danny, silently crawling back to some small confined space...