Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Players for Pbem, 1927 Call of Cthulhu  (Read 8259 times)

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Looking for Players for Pbem, 1927 Call of Cthulhu
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 08:57:38 AM »
Dear Mr. Carter-Smythe,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. My name is Jeremiah Buff. Do you recall the last time we met? It was 1913, during your last trip to the states. You were visiting family and I had the pleasure of meeting you at a luncheon held in your honor. As my father was fast friends with your uncle, God rest his soul, I spent many summer days at your estate in Massachusetts. Although I was only 17 years old when you visited I remember fondly the stories you told of your adventures. Perhaps you remember me?

In any case, I heard of your uncle's passing and learned that you were bound for the states to take possession of your inheritance. I wanted to offer you a greeting and support in your time of need.

I myself have also just recently returned to the states. In 1917, I took a break from my studies to join the army to serve in the great war. Upon return from that dreadful ordeal I had a change of heart and a renewed interest in my faith. I finished my studies at Holy Cross University and graduated with degrees in religion and history. After graduation I pondered the path my life would take, and entered the Seminary in 1920. I was ordained a deacon in '25, and traveled to South America to serve God's will.

After events that I will not put on this paper, I returned to Massachusetts to convalesce. I recently learned from the Archdiocese in Boston that I am to be ordained a priest soon! The trials and suffering one endures while serving the Lord test us each day. The horrors of battle are nothing compared to the darkness that walks the earth each and every day, Mr. Carter-Smythe. But I digress, I do not wish to cloud your thoughts at this trying time.

Take care, and I eagerly await your return to the states,

I leave you with this passage from the Psalms, You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day, Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

Your servant and His

Reverend Jeremiah Buff

Offline isaanmini

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »
My Dear Reverend Buff.
I am most gratefull for your letter and I very much look forward to renewing our aquaintance when I arrive in the States.
I must be very honest with you and say that my memory is not what it was.I do recall the luncheon,but as you can imagine,I was rather pressed for time during my visit and had many people to see with regard to some very rare antiques and particularly about a copy of a certain book that I had heard might be made available to me.As it transpired the book was not what I had expected and the dealer who offered it to me was what you Americans call, I believe, a crooked huxter.
Please forgive the brief reply, but I am sure you will understand that I have a great number of arrangements to make regarding the passage.Before I close however,I must ask you for your assistance.The Lawyers tell me that the circumstances of my uncles death are not entirely clear, only that he had some kind of heart failure

They tell me that in his last years, my uncle had opened part of the house as some kind of hospital,in order to assist with his failing financial affairs.When I pressed them, they would say only that there was some kind of social scandal as a result and that my uncle was shunned by many that new him.Are you aware of any of the circumstances surrounding these events.

News of our friend Gauntman is also unforthcoming.I have tried to contact him once again ,without success

Regards

Carter-Smythe

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
So are we just going to like, play without rules? And just see if we can pull off a killer story?! Either way, I'm in so here goes.

Dear Mr. Carter-Smythe,

My name is William Sparrow. I am 16 years of age. I am a drifter of sorts living in America. My recent occupation has been as a journalists assistant. This led me to discover cuttings on you gaining the inheritance that is the family estate. I also believe that nobody is employed on this estate at the current time. This opinion was concluded after a weeks research on the matter. I would like to be able to take up this position as your assistant. A general handy man so to speak. I have experience in many areas due to working from a young age to support my family. Either way, I would like to become involved. I am eager and hard working.

I look forward to hearing from you as this job is not for me. I eagerly wish to move on.

Yours Sincerely,

William Sparrow.

(Hopefully this is okay, going to be following this closely.)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:43:00 AM by abhorsen950 »

Offline isaanmini

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »
 Dear Mr Sparrow
Thankyou for your interest in a position as a general assistant.
I am sure there will be much to do around the estate and I am also sure that your experience in Journalism will come in most usefull.
If you care to make your way to Massachusets ( I really must check the spelling of that,if I am going to be resident there) I will ask my friend the Reverend Buff to help you with temporary accomodation, until we can find somewhere for you on the estate
Regards
Mr.Carter-Smythe

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 05:11:02 AM »
G'day Carty! Les Flynn is the name, "Croca" to my mates, those that are still around!

Are you related to that Pommy bugger Hubert Carter-Smythe, or "Hughie" as we knew him in Mespot back in the war? Bad business that, he came to a very sticky end in most unusual circumstances. There were some very rum doings in that benighted land, I can tell you!

I've had a bit of experience in tracking and hunting down those that don't want to be found, mostly taught to me by the "black fellas" back home. I've been in a few tight spots over the years and can handle myself pretty well in a tight spot. I've seen some funny things along the way, things you won't find in your average Encyclopaedia Britannica. Those old abos know a bit about the time before time, if you get my drift.

Anyway, I'll out of a job soon as the old fella that hired me has got a whole mob of kangaroos loose in his top paddock and has been been committed to Broadmoor Asylum. Soon as I've tidied round his rooms I'll be available for a jaunt to the US of A. I've not been there for a while.

Yours,

Leslie Flynn.

"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »
Dear Mr. Carter-Smythe,

I received your telegram regarding young Mr. Sparrow. My father still has a key to the front gates of your uncle's (now yours!) property. I have set Mr. Sparrow to cleaning up the outside of the residence and have put him up in what must have been a gardener's cottage at the rear of the property. He seems to be an affable young man, of sound moral standing. He also appears to be a hard worker and has tackled the chores! As I do not have a set of keys to the residence, I will await your return before setting him to clean the house. Young Mr. Sparrow has much to do as the grounds have become quite overrun!

Regarding your inquiries about the scandal and hospital, I have looked into these and would rather discuss them face to face. I can say that it appears your uncle started taking in those who suffered from "shell shock" as it where. I saw this myself during the Great War. After initially accepting invalided soldiers it appears your uncle began taking on other, shall we say, residents. Including those from the far east, and certain injured sailors from around Insmouth way.

I have been called to Boston where I shall be for the five days or so. I will try to get back to meet you for your arrival, but if I miss that, please know I shall be along any day after.

Yours,

Deacon Buff

Offline isaanmini

• Librarian
Re: Looking for KEEPER for Pbem group, 1927 Call of Cthulhu
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 04:52:52 AM »
Hello guys
It looks like we have no chance of Gauntman running our game and while I would like to ,I have no experience and little time to do it myself ........
If anyone wishes to maintain the contact and discuss Cthulhu gaming then please feel free.Unfortunately it doesnt look like this is going to end up as a structured game unless we can find an experienced keeper, prepared to run it for us.

Regards

Barry

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »
Guys,

I do have a plotline that I'm in the process of putting together, which we could do as a Freestyle CoC type PBEM game. I've not run a PBEM game as a keeper but have played in several now, including Gauntmans last (masterful!) effort. Remember, in CoC victory is escaping with your sanity intact!

I'd suggest running the games through email, rather than directly through LA, although we could put up summaries.

Carter-Smythe, Rev. Buff, Mr Sparrow. Anyone else?

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
I'm in...I will have my introduction letter posted by tomorrow...meant to do it a few days ago but life got in the way. I don't know my way around this stuff to well but I say bash on and just have some fun.

Pete

BattleScape Military Books & Miniatures
www.BattleScape.com.au

Offline isaanmini

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 07:57:46 AM »
Yes,I am very interested in trying to get this thing off the ground.
I do not have the rules and hav'nt played the game before,but as I cant seem to find a group locally and also do shiftwork, pbem is the best option.

I recently arrived at my new home in Massachussetts (at least my character did) to find it in a very poor state.
It seems thet there was some kind of fire in the Sanitorium wing which has not been repaired.
All the furnishings and many of the fixtures have been sold to pay my families debts (Including the entire contents of my uncles somewhat well known library, which I understand was handed over in its entirity,to a dealer in nearby Innsmouth)
I shall be visiting this gentleman shortly to recover the books.I understand that the collection is rather valuable ,so this may cost a large sum of money, but it is a most valuable and interesting collection.
Shortly after I arrived,I decided to walk the grounds ,to see just what I had inherited.
I took the path to the small stretch of coast that is the border of the property.I ventured as far along the rather rickety,wooden jetty as I dared and then took another route back to the house, passing by, but not dwelling upon the family graveyard.This was a very intimidating place, particularly when visited alone,as I was and with darkness falling ,as it was begining to.

There was no sign of young Will, perhaps he has found employment elsewhere.

Feel free to contact me by email
Regards
Barry
barrycarter70@hotmail.com

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 08:40:22 AM »
I'm in, contact me by PM or email if it's attached.

Ciao.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 12:39:34 PM »
Gentlemen, theres a stripped down version of CoC here for free download. http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=87

We'll be playing in the spirit of the rules rather than necessarily rolling every dice called for though!

I'll PM interested parties in a couple of days.

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
Thanks...just saved it and will read it up. Spirit sounds good to me...I am all about the journey and the fun.

Pete

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
Seriously guys, we should just go for the freestyle mode. It'll work tones better if nobody is keen on taking up Keeper. It would be easier to do the hole freestyle thing on Email as well, the game would flow more and would be more story orientated.

Keep me posted!
Steve

Offline isaanmini

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »
Thanks for the rules......I am not sure if I have downloaded the file or just opened it .....anyway,I can read them so thats fine

Steve, I think we should bow to the others experience and do it their way, I am sure it will be a very enjoyable game, especially if we all enter into the spirit of it and dont look for errors.

If the keeper wings it sometimes ,thats fine by me.

Look forward to the game..........If someone can gather all the email addresses and create a group email that might be best

Regards

Barry