Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:33:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: cemetery stuff  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
cemetery stuff
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
Having recently bought several Rodendra gave stone sets, and also a Warlord ECW battallia, I got this idea of using the bases from the battallia set to base the gravestones. I don't need those bases anyways, as I am using GW style slotta bases for the minis. Here's quick mockup of what I mean.

I thought it's handy to build a sort modular graveyard set instead of one or two set pieces? More flexible this way, and also allows using just a few pieces or the whole set if needed? Obviously have to texture the bases and flock them etc. What do you think, and has anybody done something similar? I have a couple set pieces in mind as well, like the crypt (from Thomarillion), and some open mass grave pits (holes filled with extra bodyparts and 'lime'...).

As you can see, I am also building some inhabitants for the cemetery.... another 30 zombies to go. o_o
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:47:21 PM by Verderer »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: cemetery stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:50:40 PM »
You know, I just ordered the gravestones and a set of Renedra bases to do the exact same thing... lol

I was planning to do a mix of modular bases - some as simple graves, others with... things... coming out of them, using the spare parts from the zombie and ghoul sets.

I've been experimenting recently using Vallejo pumice gel to texture bases.  For graves, I plan to have some as simple headstones on the textured base, but for others I intend to build the texture up in several layers to represent open or newly dug graves.

The bases are all built on multiples of 20x20mm, so they'll also slot into the Mantic units to bulk them out.

I like the idea of mini-dioramas on the 40x40 bases - more opportunity to make them look good than having them all on smaller 20x20s.  I always think that making a big diorama gives you more scope for a nice model, but I'm pushed for storage space, so modular it is.

A good start - do keep us updated on your progress!

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:49:41 AM »
That's coming along fine. I have the impression all the stones are perfectly upright or are they just temporarily fixed to the bases?
Maybe you could insert the odd tilted headstone over a caved in grave.

I've been experimenting recently using Vallejo pumice gel to texture bases.  For graves, I plan to have some as simple headstones on the textured base, but for others I intend to build the texture up in several layers to represent open or newly dug graves.

Valejo Pumice is great (I also use porion filler or any brand of tile glue) I would suggest to create the open grave with insulated foam and cover that with the pumice. you won't need to wait that long for al the layers to dry and you'll need less of it too.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:56:27 AM »
Valejo Pumice is great (I also use porion filler or any brand of tile glue) I would suggest to create the open grave with insulated foam and cover that with the pumice. you won't need to wait that long for all the layers to dry and you'll need less of it too.
Go to the art store/JoAnn's or Michael's and pick up the Pumice there. Much cheaper and it is the same stuff. :-)

Grimm

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »
Thanks people, glad you like them. These Redendra sets are excellent, pretty cheap and each pack contains 2 sprues of about 20 (haven't actually counted them yet?) gravestones. Some crosses in there as well. I got three sets...

I will do various textures on the bases, grass and sand obviously, and freshly dug and covered ones. Due to the shallowness of the bases, it's pretty difficult to make open graves, but I guess I will figure something out. The gravestones are just bluetacked on the bases in the pic, and I will do some skewed & broken ones as well. Each set contains a couple broken ones by the way.

I am great fan of Vallejo's Pumice Stone mix, and also the fine sand one, forget the name now. I got several cans stashed away.  Have used them for all kinds of projects for years now. Fabulous texture (much more 'to scale' than regular sand, especially in smaller scales) andeasy to apply. You can also add acrylic paint to colour it. What's not to like? They cost a bit, but a jar goes a long way.

About fixed pieces, I got these planned: the mass grave mentioned above, ditto for two crypts, and nice statue of a weeping lady (Thomarillion). I might eventually build a small chapel (or buy one), but that is for later to decide. Any other suggestions? I may do a set of cemetery walls with iron bars, but again, that is for later to decide.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »
A little update, I have based the gravestones, and they're ready for painting:

Used ordinary sand & glue this time, no Vallejo pumice - as I was running out of it.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
looking very good- I am going to watch this one, so hurry up with some more pics!  8)
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »
Shaping up really nicely and those Thomarillion crypts look very nice indeed.  Be sure to post some pictures of the finished article! 

Online infelix

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »
It's looking really good, I think I have to get me some of those gravestones.