Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:43:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690786
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'The Whisperer in Darkness' to be screened at Calgary Film Festival in September  (Read 6277 times)

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
Hello,

Well, the subject line pretty much says is all.

According to the 'Whisperer in Darkness' Facebook page, 'The Whisperer in Darkness' will be screening at the Calgary International Film Festival in September.

These folks made the amazing 'Call of Cthulhu' film - and this one looks like it will be even better. Here's the trailer:

I've been looking forward to seeing this film for ages!!

Enjoy!!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Woohoo!  Barring dismemberment or death, I shall be there.  Heck, I'd probably even show up in spite of said ailments, considering the subject matter.  ;D

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
I am truly jealous of anyone who gets to see this. The HPLHS are personal heroes of mine and consistently produce high quality work.
"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure."

-- Winston Churchill

Visit Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine! http://roebeast.blogspot.com/
And RSquared Studios: www.rsquaredcomics.com

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
Wow.... giving me chills. I'm glad it's not a silent film this time, though I admired the nuance of it in CoC. LidlessEye, please let us know how this thing goes down if and when you see it! Wow!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Awesome! Will have to round up all the mythos weirdos and head over for that. This film looks great!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
YAY!  Glad to see this is finally making it out there.  Can't wait to see it.

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
The work these guys do is amazing - you can really see the passion they have for their work.

Luckily, for those of us not in Calgary, they're hoping to get the DVD available for purchase by October 1st.

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
For those in other necks of the woods, it's also screening at the following upcoming festivals (snatched from the HPLHS website):

mid June we'll screen at the Southside Film Festival in Pennsylvania. Things turn international again in July with screenings at Fantasia in Montreál, Canada; Fantaspoa in Porto Alegre, Brazil; PiFan in Puchon, Korea; and RioFan in Rio de Janero, Brazil. We have more festivals later in the year in Warsaw, Reno, Buffalo, and of course the HP Lovecraft Film Festival.

Glad to hear the DVD is coming so soon.  They were pretty non-committal about a release date, and I was expecting something closer to Christmas.  As usual, I'll probably buy whatever deluxe bundle of goodies they cook up  :D

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
Thanks for the follow up, I think I might be attending the HPL Film Festival in L.A., too bad its not in Portland this year though, but if its any fun at all (and how could it not be?) I'll have to check it out next year too.

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
My wife and I went to the HPL Filmfest in Portland four years ago.

As far as I can remember, there was only one vendor selling gaming-related merchandise... perhaps there's an opportunity to introduce Strange Aeons to even more people!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
For those in the Calgary area, screenings are now officially scheduled:

Friday, Sept. 23: 9:30PM, Globe Theatre
Sunday, Sept. 25: 4:15PM, Plaza Theatre

Tickets can be purchased in advance at www.calgaryfilm.com, or at the door.  Already have mine for the Friday night showing :D

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
LUCKY!

I expect a full (though spoiler-free) review soon afterwards.

Enjoy yourself!!

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
AND?

How was it?

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Let me start this off by stating that I've loved everything HPLHS has produced through the years.  Their radio dramas have been generally excellent, the silent Call of Cthulhu was brilliant.  Heck, I even own a set of tentacle pint glasses and listen to their albums of spoof Christmas carols every year.  So I'm a fan.  Which makes this even more painful.

The Whisperer in Darkness sucked.

Well, the 35 minutes or so in the middle were alright, good at times even.  And that was the bit that actually told Lovecraft's story, with reasonable proficiency.  The first half hour meandered about, setting up a heap of unnecessary back story, partly in order to shoehorn Charles Fort into the story as a character.  And I like Charles Fort - I'm a Fortean Times subscriber - but what the heck is the man doing in Whisperer?  Then the Lovecrafty bits briefly intruded, yielding some satisfying creepy moments in Wilmarth's conversation with 'Akeley'.  Then there was about forty minutes of running around, chasing, saving children and aerial combat (seriously, I'm not making those last two up).  And to add insult to injury, the Mi-Go didn't even look cool.

I could go on at length (as Mike and I did post-screening), but you'd all be either bored to tears or pummeled into depressive insanity by the time you finished reading my rant.  To put things in a nutshell: after a series of excellent productions that demonstrated a true sense of love and respect for Lovecraft's work, HPLHS has put out a feature-length film that feels like an amateur fanboy production, possessed of no real sense of atmosphere or cosmic terror, and instead populated with "wouldn't it be cool if this happened?" moments that I expect will leave most Lovecraft fans groaning in their seats.

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
Wow. This is unexpected - and, the first negative review I've read anywhere.

I do expect some (or MORE than some) 'modification' - after all, as good as 'The Call of Cthulhu' was (I own a copy, and love it) - it wasn't a movie, it was just a visual accompaniment to the HPL story, like an animated storybook. Most HPL stories, if they were translated to the screen 100% faithfully, would be terrible.

I'll admit to being a HPLHS fan of the radio dramas, and their other work. I'm also a huge Lovecraft fan - I've read all the stories (and lots of 'inspired' works), seen virtually all film and television adaptions, been to the HPL film festival, written a lovecraft-inspired screenplay, and self-published thirteen novels which were compilations of short fiction containing (for the most part) Lovecraftian themes. I'm also interested in a certain Lovecraft-inspired tabletop game... ;) The one thing that I've seen as a commonality between all these different and varied forms of expression is that it seems most people interpret Lovecraftian themes in different ways - some people express them in an 'empty and melancholy' fashion, others focus on the 'alien invasion' aspects and others still on the 'dream world' plots. What I take from that is that people internalize the ideas, process them, and then re-invent those ideas as they express them in a way that relates to their own experience.

<cough> Does that make any sense at all? <cough>

Regardless, I still can't wait to see it - including any modification or 're-invention'... partly to support the effort they've put into it, but also just to see what they've come up with. Now that I know how the 'Strange Aeons' staff feel about it, I'm curious to see how my own opinions of what constitutes a 'good Lovecraftian adaption' compare.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

EDIT: Apparently, there was also a Q&A with Sean Branney. Did you attend?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:48:18 AM by zobo1942 »