Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689515
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pennsylvania Barn for ACW  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Pennsylvania Barn for ACW
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »
After seeing all the excellent scratch built buildings on LAF I decided it was time to start on some buildings for my ACW Brother against Brother games.

I stated on a Pennsylvania type barn for 2 reasons - it is big and any early learning 'mistakes' are easily covered up and the very first game of Brother against Brother was run by Herb Gundt of HGWalls and the action centered around a large Pennsylvania barn.

So far about 4 hours work. The walls were cut from Depron (in Germany you can find it at the renovation stores in the damp-proofing section - I should have bought more). The internal cladding is mainly coffee stirrers, matchsticks and some nice soft wood strips from a department store called Karstadt (also from Germany - can you name any department store in the UK or North American that stocks a large range of kits, railway, RC and scratchbuilding supplies?)
Extenal stonework on the lower level will be embossed card (plastic or paper) and the upper storey's with trimmed down coffee stirrers or more thin wood strips from Kadstadt.

It will have a removeable roof and 2 removeable floors.

Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Pennsylvania Barn for ACW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
looks really nice!! what are you planning to do for the outside? because for a wooden structure the 3mm thickness looks a bit too much, so will it be plastered? :)

really good start, wanna see it completed! :)

cheers,
Jack

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:10:43 AM »
I agree that the 3mm depron clad on both sides is going to look a bit thick but it will be sturdy. The external wood strip I have is almost paper thin so will not add much more in thickness.
I am tempted to do the next one as an actual building would be constructed - wooden frame and then clad it.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:11:55 AM »
Looks great Graham. 

I think there was there a photo of that barn in a past  issue of Wargames Illustrated. It looked brilliant, however all of Herb Gundt's work does.

I'll be watching this with interest. I have wanted to build a barn like this myself for some time myself, but in 15mm for my Brother Against Brother games. I have the model from Monday Knight Productions (the old Scenic Effects models), which is nice, but the roof isn't removable.

Cheers,

Barry
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/