Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Graveyard to Call My Own (picture heavy)  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: A Graveyard to Call My Own (picture heavy)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 03:21:17 PM »

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »
Oh, I do like that! Excellent work, very atmospheric. Now, where is The Great Detective himself....
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 04:18:04 PM »
The Renedra gravestones fit in perfectly with the Fantascene and Grendel stuff and the modular bases work really well.  Those overgrown autumnal bushes are the Dog's B's - really well done! I'd love to see one of those horsey monument thingies seen in 6milPhil's pics.

It's going to be superb once you get it all finished and should make for some great games  :D

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 07:54:54 PM »
Nicely done, although I think you may have too much foliage in too close an area on a couple of the pieces.  You should just hint at it to be more effective otherwise you start to wonder why all the leaves are just 'there' and not more spread out.  Maybe some moss or lichen on the actual monuments? Good to see some autumn colours, though.  Have you tried any black & white photos for atmosphere?

A graveyard project has been on my to-do list forever.  Maybe now I'm retired, I can actually start it.  In my case, though, I'll build one as a diorama.  Your pieces, nice as they are, show the biggest limitation of gaming scenery - no depth.  I want to actually model a hole without having to artificially raise the ground level and I think only a proper diorama will allow me to do that.

I love cemeteries, the older the better, and I collect photos off the net and elsewhere.  I've got over 1200 at the moment, some of which I've taken myself and, in fact, I had already planned to grab my camera and visit one of the local ones I missed tomorrow.  The only problem with the city grounds, though, is that they're not really that old, compared to England or Europe or even colonial America.  This one only goes back to 1890.  I'd love to see something like Highgate or Brompton or any of London's 'Magnificent Seven'.

The oldest legible gravestone I personally know of is in a 'restored' pioneer cemetery, within walking distance of me.  It dates back to 1813.  The cemetery is also home to a rather unfortunate family.  From what I can work out, the mother died at 32, giving birth to twins on June 26, 1838.  The newborn daughter died on July 25 and the son on August 5.  To make it worse, another son, just over 2 years old, died on October 12 the same year.  A whole family gone in about 3 1/2 months.  Sad.

Just as an extra...this thing gives me the creeps! How you like to have that staring down at you for eternity?

Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
Thanks for comments one and all: sometimes it's gratifying to know that I'm not just micturating into the wind with all this stuff (it does feel like it at times!).  As I noted there is a lot more to be done yet and I'm hoping to be in a position financially and time-wise to do this over the next six weeks.  I must say that the Fantascene pieces are especially superb and I'm quite tempted to get another pack or two and make up another couple of stands!  Anyway, I'll keep you posted on further developments.  Oh, did I say six weeks?  How silly of me: the ruined church pieces are coming from Monolith Designs, so better change that to six weeks months!   ;)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
On the tomb/mausoleum front I've been reminded of the one by Fenris Games...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Resin-Mausoleum-temple-wargame-scenery-kit-/380186094366?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item5884db6b1e

Wow: that's absolutely immense!  Very, very nice indeed, but size-wise possibly a bit too ostentatious for my cemetery.  You'd need a 4'x4' board absolutely chock full of graves and other graveyard paraphernalia to make that look plausible.  Still, I have added it to my 'Watch List' so...

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »
Tbh Funghy old thing if anyone is going to have a top notch massive graveyard I've a feeling it'll be you. Also remembered the AoW "Family Plot"...http://www.architectsofwar.com/familyplot.aspx
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:32:06 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »
That looks fantastic, would be perfect for Strange Aeons/Malifaux games  :)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »
WOW!!!  :o

Looks perfect! Separate pieces is definetively the way to go! You cannot get tired to search for new add-ons!
I use this concept when in need to expand my old Citadel Graveyard; otherwise I simply surround it with pieces of  woodland to build the "forgotten graveyard deep in the old woods" scenario.

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)