Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Super sized 15mm manufacturers?  (Read 7593 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Super sized 15mm manufacturers?
« on: July 08, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
I've been cleaning up my 15mm box a bit. In it were the Splintered Lands models from Splintered Light (pretty much 18mm scale models), as well as various eBay 15mm finds (true 15mm) and some of the Blood Dawn models sold by Magister Militum. I'll chuck the true fifteens, and then use the Splintered Lands dwarfs and goblins for HOTT based on the 28mm sized elements. 10 figs to a stand, wooo! I'll also chuck the Splintered Lands antropomorphic animals save one of each sculpt (which I'll use for a 28mm skirmish project). Look for them in the bazaar this weekend! =)

Now I'm looking for other miniature ranges compatible with the super sized 15mm of The Splintered Lands. The Blood Dawn stuff works good next to it (I have some undead, will get a few more). Are there other ranges which are "too big to be 15mm, too small to be 20mm" around, in production? I'm not just looking for height, but also chunkyness. The SL dwarves are huge in comparison to some of the true 15s I'm getting rid of, even if some human 15s are actually a tiny bit taller.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Hybrid

• Assistant
Re: Super sized 15mm manufacturers?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:09:02 AM »
Ral Partha Europe has started re-releasing the Demonworld range. They are on the large side of 15mm, closer to 18mm really. The human rangers and orcs I’ve got are closer to 18mm, and they are chunky as well, so not just tall. Great sculpts, the detail is amazing. I’m really happy to see them back in production.

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/

Eureka Miniatures also do a range of 18mm fantasy. The Dwarves and Elves that I have are too big to go with true 15mm. The orcs I have can work with either true 15mm or 18mm. The Man Orcs are 18mm. I like these sculpts as well, but they are pricey these days. The orcs on fellbeasts are really lovely.

http://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/fantasy-armies-47-c.asp

Apparently Mark Copplestone’s new 15mm Barbarians are actually 1/100th, so 17mm to the eye. But I haven’t got any yet, so I can’t be 100% sure.

Offline Haarken

• Librarian
    • Forgotten Futures
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:31:36 AM »
I've been looking into getting some small scale fantasy recently and found this LINK, which hopefully should be quite helpful to you.

Haarken
Forgotten Futures: Pulp, Dieselpunk & Weird War Gallery.

Offline Boromir_and_kermit

• Bookworm
  • Chief Occulite
    • Darwin Games
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »
I second Eureka's stuff - especially the Wood Elves (which are very large) and Dwarfs. They will work very well. Man Orcs will be ok, especially in height, but are not as bulky as the Splintered Lands goblin/dwarf range.

In terms of price, as far as I'm aware, they are the same price as they have always been. Its the change in the Aussie dollar value that makes it seem more expensive to the rest of the world. It has been a quick reverse swing. I'm sure it has made it hard for Aussie companies to trade overseas. I'm in the process of starting a company myself and to price things whilst still keeping your head afloat, can make it appear expensive to overseas buyers. So you either take a hit that you probably can't sustain or just hope that people like your stuff enough to keep buying.

I know that was probably more information than you were bargaining for, but it was quite relevant for me, so thought I'd just chuck in those comments.

Cheers,
Ben.

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
Blood dawn and demon world minis don't mix up together well imo. I have both and the BD dwarves are 3 times chunkier than the DW ones. Although I am not sure about the humans but the elves aren't that "chunky" either and if you put the BD undeads next to them the undeads are quite big. If you don't mind the size difference then it don't matter. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »
I will post some pictures tomorrow.
Please do mate! I do have some Blood Dawn undead and they're decidedly smaller than the Olley dwarfs of Splintered Lands, while still bigger than the Splintered Lights 15mm undead (of which I only have one pack of zombies).

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »
Ok,

here's some pictures so you get the idea about the miniature sizes from different companies. Im very sorry about the bad quality of the pics...but you should get the idea. I try to get better ones. I also put the warmaster ogre there just to show that they are pretty suitable for 15mm gaming :)

hope this helps

-Mika
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:25:36 AM by Relic »

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »
I'll be ordering the Blood Dawn dwarf cannon "soon". I'll take a shot of the manufacturers I have at that point and we'll have a nice frame of reference. Those BD dwarf look huge, but I think the base is to blame for a lot of the height difference really. Compare the BD and DW dwarfs and they're similar in height. The BD dwarf is much stockier though. Fat bastards. =)

Thanks for the pics mate!

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 01:45:55 PM »
I'll be ordering the Blood Dawn dwarf cannon "soon". I'll take a shot of the manufacturers I have at that point and we'll have a nice frame of reference. Those BD dwarf look huge, but I think the base is to blame for a lot of the height difference really. Compare the BD and DW dwarfs and they're similar in height. The BD dwarf is much stockier though. Fat bastards. =)

Thanks for the pics mate!

yup, the blood dawn base is rather thick and nearly impossible to cut off without destroying the legs. And also.. the BD dwarves have obviously had a pint or more than the DW dwarves so they are also chunkier. But that's nothing a 2 month atkins diet wouldn't take care of lol

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »
Just stumbled across a comparison between Blood Dawn and Splintered Lands dwarfs (SL left, BD second to left):

Taken without permission from Lando's Wargames: http://landoatwar.blogspot.com/2010/04/more-15mm-comparisons-splintered-light.html

So - it seems Splintered Lands and Blood Dawn will mix well, while Demonworld (which I thought would be larger) would work in an opposing force but not mixed with BD or SL. On the other hand, Black Raven Foundry (as in Old Glory 15s) would fit quite well with the BD and SL stuff. There's not much on offer from BRF which isn't available from the Splintered Lands and Blood Dawn lines - but some elves and humans really could come in handy in the future.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:01:50 PM by phreedh »