Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:16:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Free paper building - would work well for Strange Aeons, I think!  (Read 3858 times)

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
Hello,

I ran across this worn out looking 'bait shack', and thought it might be of use to some people - either as a template to model more advanced buildings, or just to use on it's own.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/freebuilding.html

(not affiliated with the website, etc...)

Enjoy!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Re: Free paper building - would work well for Strange Aeons, I think!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
Looks quite useful!  Though you'd have to nail a plank or something over BEER if you're playing in the prohibition era  ;)

(now that I've actually downloaded it, I see that the signs aren't actually included in the PDF - no beer removal required!  I see some Innsmouth signage in my future...)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:18:00 PM by LidlessEye »

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
Is O scale closest to 28mm?

Thanks for the link.
"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure."

-- Winston Churchill

Visit Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine! http://roebeast.blogspot.com/
And RSquared Studios: www.rsquaredcomics.com

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
O Scale is as close as you'll get (1:45, while minis are about 1:64).  It really doesn't show that much unless you get a model right next to a door though.

S Scale is almost exact, but exceedingly rare.

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »
Regarding scale, you could just scale it when you print but printing it at ('x'%) to reduce of enlarge as you see fit - that way, you could get an exact 'fit', scale-wise.

I'm kind of enjoying the idea of 'Bait Shop of Evil'.... ;)

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »
You could be exceedingly tacky and name your shop "Worms of the Earth"  :D

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:27:06 AM »
Ha! Nice.

There is an 'S' scale model which you could download from this site.

The 'model builder' software seems pretty cool - check it out: http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/so.html

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 04:53:27 AM »
How did I not notice the S scale link?  Must be blind today!

The software is a little pricey at $45 (more for added textures), but the ability to create unlimited structures at the proper scale is certainly intriguing.  Especially for those of us who are challenged in the scratchbuilding field.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 06:08:47 AM »
I weakened and purchased this program a few weeks ago - it is cheaper if you pay for the down load only (as opposed to a physical copy sent to you in the mail).

The program is very easy and a lot of fun to use, and you can even use images or take photos of doors, windows or signs and include them in your design. 

Offline zobo1942

• Librarian
    • Innsmouth Looks
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 06:26:39 AM »
I like the 'template generation' aspect of it. Immediately, you can basically have all the measurements for different types of buildings, which could make building something a bit more substantial easier.

Being able to get a ton of buildings on the table quickly for a scenario that needs them would be useful - maybe for testing scenario ideas? - like a corrupted bayou village with crazed hillbillies coming out of the woodwork, or zombies rising from their graves under the direction of some Cthulhu/Old Ones 'enhanced' bokor would be great. Given all the cultists, rituals and other strangeness associated with 'Lovecraftian' belief systems, I've always thought of 'Old Ones' mysticism as a kind of hyperactive 'Super Voodoo'. Must be the 'Inspector Lagrasse' part of 'The Call of Cthulhu' playing with my brain.

Then again, there's always the Innsmouth Waterfront, too - or Red Hook. Or Stephen King's 'Jeresalem's Lot' (Here's a breakdown, just in case you haven't read it (SPOILERS!!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem's_Lot), which is one of the best 'Lovecraftian' stories I've ever read. Or maybe a psychiatric hospital where an inmate has inadvertently opened a dimensional rift with his ravings (I think you'd need to be on some pretty serious medication to pronounce 'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn' properly), allowing horrible creatures through. Luckily, it's a Threshold operated facility...

Thinking of trains (it is train-related software, after all!), maybe a group of Threshold agents trapped on a cult-driven train that needs to be stopped before it pulls into the next station and drops of a captured agent or political figure to be 'programmed' by the Lurkers - making the next scenario a bit more difficult for the Threshold side... Or craziest of all, a cult zepplin or blimp under assault by parachuting Threshold agents. OK, now, I'm just getting carried away... but if you find some software for printing out scale plans for a zepplin, let me know...

I need a nap, I think. And maybe a new thread for 'Scenario Ideas for Strange Aeons'.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 12:05:46 PM »
Nice find! Now, If I could just figure out how to print that S-scale version  ???

Well, learning-by-doing....   ;)

I need to play some SA again, soon.  o_o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 04:39:10 AM »
Cool! This is a great resource. Just seen it now...could end up on my x-mas list...