Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 10:07:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696357
  • Total Topics: 118760
  • Online Today: 494
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bleaching and Dyeing Birch Seeds/Catkins: Help Please!  (Read 3409 times)

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
Bleaching and Dyeing Birch Seeds/Catkins: Help Please!
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »
the catkins from birch trees break down into seeds that look remarkably like miniature leaves, which can be dyed to a more suitable colour. i'm running into a problem though, the seeds start off pretty dark, so its hard to dye them a more vibrant colour. however Skullcrafts seem to have found a way of doing it (linky). i would guess that they somehow bleach the seeds before dying them. i haven't experimented too much yet, but i would have thought that bleach would have simply destroyed the seeds (making them to brittle to be of any real use). has anyone else got any experience with this? have you found a way to bleach and dye birch seeds?

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Bleaching and Dyeing Birch Seeds/Catkins: Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:10 AM »
i haven't experimented too much yet, but i would have thought that bleach would have simply destroyed the seeds (making them to brittle to be of any real use).
A light solution of bleach might work.  Another option might be to thoroughly dry them.  They might lighten up in a food dehydrator.  It also could be that it is a different species of birch tree.  We don't get them where I live so I have not had a chance to play with them.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »
I have not had this problem - the Birch Tree seeds I have in my garden are quite light.

I would suggest that you try leaving them to dry in full sunlight and allow the sun to 'bleach' them.

Good luck.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 12:07:16 PM »
I paint them a few times now, already, without any problems. Painted them light green and yellow, a few I just kept the way they are/were.

But since I only used a few on my bases and not in large quantities, that might be a problem. How about let them soak in ink of the preferred colour (like green ink, yellow ink, etc.). The ink itself should be "non-natural" enough not to let them rot or something. Then let them dry again. However, while drying the might stick together ...

Apart from that, I have no idea

best wishes
Drachenklinge
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
Just a suggestion because I've never used them but you could put them in a large box and get some light spray paint and give them a couple of blasts from a distance?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:28:12 PM »
I thought about that, too, but either the blast will blow them away or they will stick together, while drying. However, it might be worth a try (since sticking together, will be the problem with my inky idea, too, anyway ^^).

best wishes
Drachenklinge

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »
I reckon if you do it in a big enough box they will only get blown around in it and not out of it  :)

(you could mount each one individually  ;D  lol )

cheers

James

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »
thanks guys for your responses so far.

i've just tried soaking the seeds in a bleach solution over night and that didn't appear to have any discernable effect on the colour. i will try neat bleach as well (just to see).

@ Tony: do you use fresh catkins or the dry ones that fall from the tree?

@ jimbibbly: i'm not sure that that would work. the spray paint would come out in particles giving a patchy colour to the seeds unless you really gave them a heavy coat, and a heavy coat is likely to cause them to adhere to the box you put them in.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »
I have a catkin question myself: What the cheapest way to get some of these if you don't live in an area where they occurr naturally (Toronto)?

I've seen some sellers (like the one linked above) who do sell them, but they seem seriously overpriced and in small quantities.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 01:59:07 AM »
The seeds do lighten as they dry, and though they do become a bit more brittle, it's not that much of an issue for modelling purposes, as your standard white glue bedding and sealing gives them plenty of support. They can be bleached further if you so desire (though it will make them even more brittle), and can be dyed with any penetrating stain -- a 50/50 mix of methylated spirit and ink works OK.

If you absolutely need them to keep their flexibility, instead of drying them you can soak them in glycerine to replace their water content. Of course that means that they won't lighten as they would if they were dried, and bleaching them would probably drive out the glycerine, removing its preservative value.

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 12:26:11 AM »
thanks Fitz. that's really helpful. do you have any recomendations for how to go about bleaching the seeds? do you recomend starting with the green catkins from the tree, or the browner ones that are ready to drop?

@ FramFramson: i can't honestly say i've found (or tried) anything else. a quick google search does tell me that there are Birches that are commonly found in Canada including the Yellow Birch which produces catkins. and whilst i can't find a map of trees in Toronto, i did find the website for the city authority in charge of the trees, you might be able to e-mail them and ask where there are birch trees (link). i've never seriously tried breaking down catkins for other plants, such as Alder, with an eye to look for terrain making material (i probably should have done though), but you might find that they can provide a suitable alternative. wikipedia gives a pretty comprehensive overveiw of what plants produce them.

Antenociti's Workshop produce some bags of miniature leaves that are supposed to be natural in origin, but i've no idea what sort of plant they come from, so i couldn't tell you how to find them. perhaps someone else will know the source.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
I'm so surprised none has mentioned the REAPER MINIATURES "The Craft" article:

http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/24

Hope that helps.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 03:47:17 AM »
Sun bleaching them should work. Leave them exposed to sunlight behiind glass for a few weeks.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +117