Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gorobilla - the mechagorilla  (Read 4693 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Gorobilla - the mechagorilla
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »
I'm in my first foray into WWWII stuff and am currently assembling my version of the mechanized gorilla beastie concept. Am I right in saying these always seem to be used by the Germans? Or was there a Russian one shown a week or two back?

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:14:05 PM »
It does seem to be a German concept. The Chumans are Russian but disfiguring animals always seems to be something people get the Nazis to do

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 06:35:34 PM »
Yep... I was thinking of the Hellboy version.
My monstrosity will be a bit - ah - nicer, though (as in" no gorillas were hurt in building this walking shag carpet") -  a mecha built (for some inexplicable reason) - to look a lot like a very fake-looking gorilla.
Defies logic, at any rate.

Chumans, ah, yes, those where the ones I'd heard of. Thanks PG.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:19:01 PM »
Picture on TGN of the Chuman

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2007/11/01/10745

If you are doing a Gorilla shaped mech then it could be almost anyone but not, I would think, a German design since it doesn't seem to fit the concept of NAzi designs being focused on... well on design.

I think a Russian mech shaped like a gorilla would be hilarious fun.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:32:12 PM »
Thanks for the pic link PG.
Hmmm - Russian, eh?
Red Gorillas. Kraznij Gorillas. (trying out names, here)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 08:04:49 PM »
Six months ago you couldn't go anywhere with running into links about how Stalin was trying to breed New Soviet Ape-Men. I think there was only one thread here, but there were about two dozen on TMP and some of the other weird news aggregators out there.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:18:35 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Six months ago you couldn't go anywhere with running into links about how Stalin was trying to breed New Soviet Ape-Men. I think there was only one thread here, but there were about two dozen on TMP and some of the other weird news aggregators out there.

Coo, really? I missed that.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 08:43:29 PM »
Quote from: "Vanvlak"

Yes, the Hellboy "Kriegaffe" certainly seems to have made an imprint on peoples minds.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:20:25 PM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek"
It does seem to be a German concept. The Chumans are Russian but disfiguring animals always seems to be something people get the Nazis to do

I think that it was time that someone did some Japanese Wierd War stuff too! They were experimentalists too!

:o

Vyper
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 08:21:20 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"

Coo, really? I missed that.

Yup real story. He had his scientists trying to breed African women and apes. The Scotsman ran the story. Its still on the AE WW2 forum somewhere.
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 08:55:59 PM »
My monstrosity will be a bit - ah - nicer, though (as in" no gorillas were hurt in building this walking shag carpet") -  a mecha built (for some inexplicable reason) - to look a lot like a very fake-looking gorilla.
Defies logic, at any rate.

Westwind (or Old Glory) have a giant gorilla mech in the superfigs range. I actually have one, but haven't gotten around to building it. Quite pulpy.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 07:53:28 AM »
Phew - thanks for all the info guys.
And now, time for the unveiling - but first, a word of warning: it's a bit laughable  :lol:

And better add a spot of blurb:
February 1942 - having heard news of Chumans in Russia and German ape-machines and Japanese Mechamacaques (not to mention Maltese wind-up monkey toys with cymbals...  :lipps: ), decided that their troops needed a new type of support. Following the monkey business trend, Prof. Simon Ian Beringeire was appointed to capture twenty gorillas and transform them into mechanically enhanced creatures. The prof complied, but on arriving in Africa and seeing his first gorillas he was enthralled by these magnificent apes, and could not bring himself to harm the beasts. Turning to his old friend and financier Art Warbuckle for support, they devised a fully mechanical gorilla instead. The prototype, codenamed 'Joseph Young', was demonstrated to the militray, and an order was enthusiastically placed for 200 units with the newly-established Kongslidated Apes Inc.
The Mk I, which was to enjoy considerable success, was a tall, slab-sided creature with a high profile to house house the powerful VandeGrand generator. The profile made for a large target, but also permitted the forearms a long swing to enhance their impact. The Infantry Support Gorilla Robot  MkI, or Gorobilla, as it came to be known by the troops, mounted an underslung Browning Compact Marine machine gun, a limited use flame thrower in their mouths, and their mighty fists. The latter were coupled to provide a fast gait and enhance their speed on smooth terrain, but split up for combat. A long range transmittter/receiver which telescoped up from their neck permitted communication of instructions.  
The first Unit, arrived in Normandy on the 8th of June 1944, was only partly successful until a suitable doctrine for the use of these machines was found. They proved their worth in fighting in the bocage, which they could cross with ease and near impunity, once they learnt to recognise the danger presented by German 88mm cannon....

The example shown here is no. 90, shown in Ardennes markings. The Gorobilas performed well in the snow, unlike the German hybrids which tended to sulk in cold conditions and huddled in clumps in their enclosures.

Development of the Mk.II and the MkI R was halted due to the need to produce more Mk.I units for the Italian front and Burma, but a new facility was built for continued development of these versions, one variant of which was rumoured to be fully submersible for use in the Pacific.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 08:09:03 AM »
Ah, yes, the pics..  :oops:

Gorobilla 90 of the Silverbacks (1st Robot Gorilla Infantry Support Div.) meets one of my old stalwarts, his Russian ally General Winter

Gorobilla takes a break to lean against a rock (or rather, to better show his markings in the light I had to take the pics). The red patch on his hind foot is a warning label. you can just make out the kong emblem ahead of his hind legs - I left it visible as the emblem of Kongsolidated, which builds Gorobillas.

Gorobilla beforilla   :lipps: - before and after. He's a King Kong toy from a packet of cornflakes...

Gorobillas in the midst (of an army of skeletons) (well, one skeleton, anyway). The common or garden GW Skeleton, sporting the colours of the Khemrian 10th Lt. Infantry, the Ankhmongers, giving scale to Gorobilla.

cheers all.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 02:18:52 AM »
What about this monkey?

Keep it WEIRD!

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 02:42:25 AM »
hey!  how come your kong looks so good?  All the ones at my side of the world looks like shit