Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:08:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Questions about German technical manual  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Dargoth

• Bookworm
Questions about German technical manual
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
Hi.
I really liked WaW so with my WaW friend we bought VD rules last Thursday and played our first game on Saturday. And we saw that it was good  :). So today I (well my friend, as I don't have an WGV account) bought the aforementioned book. I REALLY like the Maus, I think I'll buy one soon. I have one question(for now) - aren't the side/rear armor values of the Panther, Tiger and King Tiger wrong? I mean side armor is much weaker then the rear? Is that a printing mistake? I'm almost sure looking at other tanks/SPG.
And a bonus question is Volkssturm list in your plans?

Offline Dargoth

• Bookworm
Re: Questions about German technical manual
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:08:40 PM »
Some more reading and there are more problems.
Some light tanks have the same problem as above but the crown goes to Panzer 1 F tank from page 48 it has rather strong armor. Panzer 4 level armor. I guess this are those German para-normal division's tanks with protective runes.  ;D
I'm starting to get a little disappointed.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »
I cannot comment on the side/rear issue (I suspect it takes into account the vulnerability of the running gear, a persistent problem of German tanks, and the fact that a large part of the area could not be sloped on the Panther), but the I F was a late variant of the Panzer I specifically designed for anti-partizan warfare in enclosed areas, and sported armour up to 80mm thick. Therefore, a rating on par with a Pz. IV (which ranged from 10-80mm, depending on facing) is not unrealistic.

Offline Dargoth

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
I still prefer the magic runes explanation ;)
side/rear - my friend suggested that, but let say easier hit/critic but the armor was thicker then rear armor. Also why some have weaker sides and some rear? Why Panzer 3 is in one group and 4 in another? Why the tanks from main rules are 'normal' just like tank hunters, halftracks, Magic-Rune-Powered-Tank ;) etc?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »
Thanks for the interest.

The values for Front/ Side / Rear (Hit, Critical, Save) are based on several factors: actual armour thickness, size, sloped armour, running gear etc. etc. And yes, most AFV had the thickest armour in the front and the weakest in the rear.
But if a real world tank has better armour protection in the rear (compared to the side) it will be reflected in the gaming values.
As far as the Panzer I F is concerned, yes it had such a thick armour, it was  a strange little vehicle, only armed with MGs but armoured like a big one! (Search the web about this little bugger, very interesting!).

So no runes or other magical stuff, just different real world stats!  8)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:10:53 AM by Agis »
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de