Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:28:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pontoonier over Perry for NWF  (Read 6495 times)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Pontoonier over Perry for NWF
« on: August 12, 2011, 07:13:56 AM »
Would the general consensus be that the Pontoonier Burma British are more appropriate than the Perry Sudan British for actions in the NWF?

Exact historical accuracy is not important, I'd prefer people's opinions on what looks more right.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Pontoonier over Perry for NWF
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:49:06 AM »
The Perry figs in 'Indian service' uniforms are fine for the NWF, the others not so much.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
Actually the figures they did for Foundry would be even better. The Brits and Highlanders are really good as are the Indian and Sikh infantry they did, they are also a nicer size having just a bit more heft than Perry Miniatures. It all depends on whether you are prepared to pay Foundry's prices. You could wait for one of their 20% sales, I do and it usually results in some good discounts and they don't always charge shipping costs. 
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »
It also depends on which period you wish to model : if you skip the minor detail of the water bottle, the Perry Sudan Brits in Indian dress are fine for the Second Afghan war and can be used up to the mid to late 1880's. If you are planning to do the 1890's (Chitral and all that), then the Foundry minis are the correct ones : different accoutrements and Lee-Metford rifles instead of Martini-Henry's.

But if you are not overly concerned with the above details, I suppose the best figures for the period are the ones you like best in termes of sculpting. As Trooper said, the Perry figs are taller and generally better proportioned than their much older Foundry counterparts, which the Perry twins did some 15-20 years ago. 

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »
Would the general consensus be that the Pontoonier Burma British are more appropriate than the Perry Sudan British for actions in the NWF?

Exact historical accuracy is not important, I'd prefer people's opinions on what looks more right.

I have both and, beside historical accuracy, I vote for Pontoonier. Great Hicks sculpts!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »
Me, I would go with the older Foundry Range, lovely figures, some of their finest in my opinion especially the Pathans. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »
Thanks all for the replies - but now I'm even more confused.  o_o

I have a good bundle of Foundry Pathans (agree totally how nice these are) and I know they have lovely Guides and Sikhs, but can someone please point me to a pic of the appropriate Foundry British Tommies? I can't seem to find the them.

The reason I'd prefer the Pontoonier Tommies is because of their puttees and uncovered piths. The Perry Indian service minis have the covered piths and the "bedroll", which although probably more correct, I personally don't love the look of.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
That's okay, I dislike bedrolls on figures too :)

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:13 PM »
Thanks all for the replies - but now I'm even more confused.  o_o

I have a good bundle of Foundry Pathans (agree totally how nice these are) and I know they have lovely Guides and Sikhs, but can someone please point me to a pic of the appropriate Foundry British Tommies? I can't seem to find the them.

The reason I'd prefer the Pontoonier Tommies is because of their puttees and uncovered piths. The Perry Indian service minis have the covered piths and the "bedroll", which although probably more correct, I personally don't love the look of.

If thats the case then the Foundry ones are the ones you want, but you'd better get in quick 'cos I've just had a circular from Foundry and these are all in the big clearance sale they are now having, which does mean you will get 'em cheaper, but they are talking as if once the sale is over, these figs will be discontinued as will many more of their figures. I think they are listed as NWF or Boer War British.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »

Highlanders here at the bottom of the page  :

http://wargamesfoundry.com/historical_ranges/single_packs/colonial/british/?sector_id=12&page=3

Bog-standart Brits in the Boer war section (bottom of the page, same Highlanders as above on the next page) :

http://wargamesfoundry.com/historical_ranges/single_packs/darkest_africa/british/?sector_id=12&page=1

The Foundry figures were originally designed for the Boer War and have the later accoutrements and Lee-Metford Rifles. Paul Hick's Pontoonier Brits were sculpted for the Burma wars of the 1880's and are armed with Martini-Henry's. If you're looking for nits to pick, the Burma War figures have the wrong canteen for India (soda water bottles were used there instead) and they have puggarees round their helmets whereas British troops in India used khaki covers. But that's largely irrelevant to you if you're not overly concerned with accuracy. 

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 10:46:10 PM »
Thanks for the links - I was only looking in the Colonial section - Derrr.

If thats the case then the Foundry ones are the ones you want, but you'd better get in quick 'cos I've just had a circular from Foundry and these are all in the big clearance sale they are now having, which does mean you will get 'em cheaper, but they are talking as if once the sale is over, these figs will be discontinued as will many more of their figures. I think they are listed as NWF or Boer War British.

Thanks for the heads up, but I fear I have already missed the boat - only one pack left of the firing line pack already.  :(

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:51:53 PM »
I like both but I really like the Pontoonier figures!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 11:39:57 PM »
At the risk of further confusion. If you want figures for the NWF in the 1880s, I'd recommend the Castaway Arts range. Very nice figures and they have the advantage of a compatible range of Indian Army types, Highlanders, gunners cavalry etc.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 04:08:23 AM »
Didn't Empress recently announce plans for a NWF range?
-Tommy

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 06:18:08 AM »
Didn't Empress recently announce plans for a NWF range?

Interesting, can anyone else confirm this?