Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:46:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Highway to Hell - KGN AAR  (Read 2654 times)

Offline V

• Mastermind
Highway to Hell - KGN AAR
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »
Just a little report this time...

Last nights games was a 500 point aside encounter battle using the 'Highway to Hell' scenario. This features a road down the table centre with multiple objectives. The central objective was the farm. We used the SS Panzer lists against the US Armoured list.

While our German forces was tiny compared to the US,it packed a big punch...

In this scenario Recce comes on first, followed by a vanguard, then the main force. The Recce of both sides did little, though the Yanks faired better as they were able to steal one of the objectives. When the vanguard arrived, the German got yet more morale counters as the light recce got too cocky and ran inot a gaggle of Armoured infantrymen...

The Yanks were also able to rush the centre objective and a big pile of morale counters grew on the German side, things looked even worse when on the next German turn a double 1 for the command saw little happen, and the Yanks effectively got a free turn, not fun when they have batteries of 155m guns and mortars...

Then, as always things took a turn... A double six for the German command rolls saw it all change. The Shermans on the road got destroyed in quick succession by the Tiger II and the Command Panther, while the rest of the Panthers advanced with the infantry to take one of the objectives. This was quickly followed by artillery and and Nebelwerfer fire and then the Panthers shot up the remains of the US column on the road, destroying an M10 Wolverine and the US M16 AA Half-Track.

As another salvo of rocket fire crashed into the US command positions, the loss of a mortar team was enough to send the US over their morale limit. Despite having taken less counters than the German, most of the were 3 and 4, wrecking their morale, despite their infantry being virtually unengaged. The US suffered from unsupported armour that was destroyed piecemeal and a poorly chosen RTP that could never be used. Was a good game and at the start looked like being a big win for the Yanks...

Until the Panthers arrived.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Highway to Hell - KGN AAR
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:02:58 AM »
Looks like another fun game.
Now that you have played a few games of KGN,
what parts of the rules do you like and don't like?
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:41:16 AM »
A great AAR as usuall, beutiful pictures and a lot of good stuff to read, perfect. You should be writing gaming companion books! :)
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:59:30 AM »

Now that you have played a few games of KGN,
what parts of the rules do you like and don't like?

I pretty much love it... Nothing I dislike really. Its a perfect fit for me and my club really. I think wargame rules are a personal thing... They either work for you or they dont. These were just what I wanted for a WW2 game and I dont think there is anything I would change with them.

What I like is at the core is a very good set of mechanics. Dont be fooled by the title, these rules will work well for anything. Im already playing Eastern Front, I have written Early War lists and I shall be using them for Cold War too.

Artillery and suppression fire is very well done and the morale chit system is the best morale system I have used. It adds such an element of uncertainty and tension to the game... You never really know how badly off your enemy is. In the game above it came as a total surprise to us when the US forces morale broke... We didnt realise we had done that much damage and as we were approaching our breakpoint we were very worried we were about to lose. That element of uncertainty adds alot to how you fight battles.

Its a cracker of a game, and is perfect for both pick-up club games and recreating historical encounters.

You should be writing gaming companion books! :)

Well my supplement for Force-on-Force - Ambush Valley - the Vietnam expansion is out next month from Osprey and I have done most of the miniature pics in their Osprey releases this year. Look out for the Cold War book in December, that is going to be very pretty!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:03:57 AM by V »

Offline G2

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:04:25 AM »
That was a really nice read. Thank you very much for sharing it. The photos were very nice eye candy, and the table layout was absolutely beautiful. I am very envious. Keep them coming.
-------------------------------------------
Standing Small - G2's Miniatures Blog
-------------------------------------------

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
I pretty much love it... Nothing I dislike really. Its a perfect fit for me and my club really. I think wargame rules are a personal thing... They either work for you or they dont. These were just what I wanted for a WW2 game and I dont think there is anything I would change with them.

What I like is at the core is a very good set of mechanics. Dont be fooled by the title, these rules will work well for anything. Im already playing Eastern Front, I have written Early War lists and I shall be using them for Cold War too.

Artillery and suppression fire is very well done and the morale chit system is the best morale system I have used. It adds such an element of uncertainty and tension to the game... You never really know how badly off your enemy is. In the game above it came as a total surprise to us when the US forces morale broke... We didnt realise we had done that much damage and as we were approaching our breakpoint we were very worried we were about to lose. That element of uncertainty adds alot to how you fight battles.

Its a cracker of a game, and is perfect for both pick-up club games and recreating historical encounters.

Well my supplement for Force-on-Force - Ambush Valley - the Vietnam expansion is out next month from Osprey and I have done most of the miniature pics in their Osprey releases this year. Look out for the Cold War book in December, that is going to be very pretty!

Man, I didn't know that, rofl! :D:D:D