Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:48:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: We've had the Movies now how about the top Western Books  (Read 5245 times)

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
Re: We've had the Movies now how about the top Western Books
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 02:20:40 PM »
I struggled to read Blood Meridian (and other Cormac McCarthy books) so much I put it down, the writing style irritated me too much

I am sure there is a great story in there but his works are not for me

must cheack out Deadwood - thanks starkadder
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Cholly

• Scientist
  • Put the gun down.............Please?
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »
Two for Texas by James Lee Burke (malamute this is a great little book)
Blood Meridian by Cormac Macarthy
The Collected Western Stories by Elmore Leonard, an absolute classic and a greatr chance to play spot the movie)

Cholly

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 12:35:22 AM »
Only western book I ever read was A Gent From Bear Creek by Robert E. Howard,yep the Conan author.
When I was younger anything from Howard was on my reading list.He's famous for his fantasy type writing but he is also a very good historical horror/pulp type writer.
Pigeons from Hell scared the crap outa me!

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »
The author's staunch refusal to use punctuation put me off that book. It clearly doesn't bother others because his books sell millions, but I find the idea that he won't use quote marks because it "makes the page look messy" really f***ing irritating!  :-[
I struggled to read Blood Meridian (and other Cormac McCarthy books) so much I put it down, the writing style irritated me too much

I am sure there is a great story in there but his works are not for me

must cheack out Deadwood - thanks starkadder

Reading Mcartrhy is no doubt a pain in the a$$, I'm a big fan & I also get annoyed as hell with his writing style more often than not. But rest assured that some great gems of stories reside between those annoying lines  :).
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Reading Mcartrhy is no doubt a pain in the a$$, I'm a big fan & I also get annoyed as hell with his writing style more often than not. But rest assured that some great gems of stories reside between those annoying lines  :).

I was a bit irritated with the lack of punctuation and other quirks in the writing style when reading Blood Meridian, but carried on reading as it is a great, though very bloody, portrayal of filibusters and scalphunters in Mexico in the aftermath of the Mexican-American War. It was worth the struggle I must say, but a bit less of a struggle wouldn't have spoiled the experience.  ;) I'd recommend soldiering on with it.

Can't be putting together a list of favourites right now, but don't miss:

Flashman and the Indians.  :)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »
Just getting into "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick DeWitt, so far very, very good. It's like Mcarthy if he had any sense of humor..like if he had one at all....he does not. Plus no annoying lack of punctuation  lol. Highly recommended.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 10:19:21 PM »
Just getting into "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick DeWitt, so far very, very good.

I just got this as an audio book, haven't listen to it yet.

Talking books are a good if you're put off by lack of punctuation, it's a drag when you get a reader with a voice that annoys though.
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Jim French

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »
For research, I liked Mystic Warriors of the Plains and Dog Soldiers, Bear Men, and Buffalo Women

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 07:26:25 AM »
For research, I liked Mystic Warriors of the Plains and Dog Soldiers, Bear Men, and Buffalo Women

Now we're getting into some interesting stuff  :)

For me when it comes to researching Indians, if you're interested in Comanches, it's got to be Fehrenbach's "Comanches".

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »
this is a totally random suggestion, but last year a friend of mine bought me 'A Treasury of Western Folklore' edited by B A Botkin. its a truely bizarre book, that is a compilation of newspaper cuttings, biographical quotes, songs and other forms of folklore, that give you a really realistic and inspiring look into the world of the Old West. i highly recomend tracking down a copy.

(on a totally tangential note, if you are looking for books on pirates, i recommend 'A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pirates' by Charles Johnson for very similar reasons.)