Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone tried Gripping Beast's Saga Dark Ages rules?  (Read 9534 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Anyone tried Gripping Beast's Saga Dark Ages rules?
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:11:18 AM »
The local store owner is all kinds of gung-ho about the game at the moment, just wondering what other people think of it.  Good, bad, indifferent?

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anyone tried Gripping Beast's Saga Dark Ages rules?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:00:35 AM »
Still waiting on my rules to arrive but hope to get a game or two in next weekend with a friend.  Hopefully we can use this as the gateway game to more historical gaming in our group.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 06:24:21 AM »
Haven't played it but I've heard good things from a few different people.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:04:11 AM »
I gave the play test set a run-out and am awaiting the full set in the post.

First impressions were very good, simple to get to grip with the mechanics, but with plenty to keep you interested as you grasp the subtleties of allocating dice on the battle boards.

:)

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:37:46 PM »
I've ordered the rules and a starter army so my hopes are high!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:56:56 PM »
On the recomendation of my mates, I'm picking a set of these up at DErby this weekend  :)

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:30:24 AM »
I gave the play test set a run-out and am awaiting the full set in the post.

First impressions were very good, simple to get to grip with the mechanics, but with plenty to keep you interested as you grasp the subtleties of allocating dice on the battle boards.

:)

That was the impression I got from a quick read of the rules.  The differentiation between armies looks pretty good - a nice mix of equipment variations and available battle board effects.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:11:16 PM »
I played 2 games on Monday, taking a 4-point warband of Welsh infantry against a 4-point largely mounted Norman warband.

The game is superb! It is scenario-driven, with several in the rulebook and others pending. The faction-specific dice and battle-boards really give each warband 'flavour' and make it unique (currrently aimed at the 11th century, so Anglo-Danish-King Harold's saxons, basically; Vikings -Harald Hardrada's later Vikings; Normans and lastly Welsh. There will be others for earlier eras, and an Arthurian version is in development...HUZZAH!!!)  My Welsh excelled at using terrain and chucking huge amounts of javelins. This won them the first game. In the second game, the Norman cavalry benefitted from a more open terrain layout (their shooting and cavalry charge abilities are scary!!) and it was a draw as we ran out of time. Anglo Danes are very rugged in defence with counter-attack possibilities and Vikings are just killer attack troops, apparently (although that's what the book says - I have not expereienced them yet!)

To play the game, one needs to have enough models for a 6-point warband (although 4 points is a good size for learning the rules!!)

How do points relate to models? Well, basically, the warlord is free - he gets 5 HtH attacks. Then for 1 point you get 4 hearthguard (your elites) who are fully armoured, with 2 attacks each, or 8 warriors (standard 'grunts') who get 1 attack each, or 12 levies -usualy crap missile troops, who get one attack for each 3 models. My warband on Monday was a warlord, 2 x 4 hearthguard, 2 x 8 warriors. My mate's Normans were a warorld, 2 x 4 mounted  hearthguard (knights), 1 x 8 mounted warriors (light cavalry) and 1 x 12 levy archers.

You pay for the points in groups of 4, 8 or 12 but units may be any size from 4-12, so one could buy 2 hearthguard  groups but field them in one unit of 8, for example. You may not mix troop types in units.

Gameplay is very straightforward, with basic and easy mechanisms, but the game has so many variations due to the battleboards, as one only gets 6 faction dice per turn and has to allocate them to the board according to what you roll and what you wish to do...very good system that can make you think!! Some dice are used to activate units or abilities and some can even be retained to be played as reactions in the opponent's turn - all very clever and leaving players with loads of possibilities. In addition, very interesting rules for 'fatigue' give an additional layer of options.

It is definitely a game I will play a lot, as it only needs a few models and a 3x4 foot board, plus a bit of scenery.  Games take 1.5 to 2 hours with experienced players, but we managed nearly 2 full games as complete newbies in an evening at the local club.

Very, very highly recommended!!

Andy

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:14:35 PM »
I have a set ordered from Maelstrom and will use my painted LOTR Rohan and Wildmen as Vikings or Saxons.

The first time I think I will ever be ahead with a club game - figures are here before the rules............  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:34:21 PM »
Thanks for that little review Andy, just what I wanted to hear!

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 02:24:36 AM »
" one only gets 6 faction dice per turn "

Could be much less than that as units are destroyed.  There's some thought required in army construction in terms of unit size versus number of units - and that's before even thinking about fatigue effects.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 02:56:37 AM »
Thanks for the great review.  My preorder just arrived today.  Rather doubtful I will get a 4pt band painted up by this weekend but if at least my hearth guard is painted maybe the dice gods won't curse me.  :D

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
" one only gets 6 faction dice per turn "

Could be much less than that as units are destroyed.  There's some thought required in army construction in terms of unit size versus number of units - and that's before even thinking about fatigue effects.

Yes. To clarify, you get 2 dice for your warlord then 1 dice for each hearthguard or warrior unit still functioning up to a maximum of 6, so as units die, dice disappear... Levy don't generate dice at all, so one has to think carefully about how many of those one needs and how they'll be used. This is entirely correct, as, contrary to what some wargame rules and army lists wopuld have you believe, peasant levy were very rarely called upon by Dark Age/early Medieval warlords, as they were more of a hindrance than a help!

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »
Picking my copy up this evening.

I hear good things from the fellas about this
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
I've played 4 games of Saga now & I love it
But I hate the pesky Anglo-Danes  :D