Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Finally I have a surface to play on...almost...  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
Finally I have a surface to play on...almost...
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:10:21 AM »
So since I've gotten back into the hobby after a very long break (15 years or so) I've mostly been collecting and painting...but lately the urge to actually game with my minis has gotten stronger.  However one of the major impediments to having an actual game was the lack of a table to play on...also the lack of money to make one....also the lack of space in which to keep it... :( 

But!  the other day I was looking through our local Craigslist and saw someone offering a folding Ping Pong Table for $30...I thought this would be a great compromise...a big table to game on that folds up fairly small...and a PP table for when the kids are older.  So I called them and they told me I could have it but that it was cracked and wouldn't work for PP anymore...so I dropped the idea.  Well yesterday the guy gets ahold of me and says I can have it for free if I come get it...I was there in 10min... lol  "Awesome" I thought a huge table to play on (9'x5')...more than big enough for even large games.  So I brought it home...and found that it was a cheap Piece of Crap...and it was wobbly....and as I started to set it up the "crack" turned into this...

:'( :'( So much for my big table!  But not to be deterred I threw that half of the table away and consolidated all the legs under the remaining half....this made the remaining half MUCH more stable and still left me with a decent size playing surface of 5'x4.5'  Which should be great for Skirmish games and small WFB games (3rd edition of course).  here is what she looks like now

Not to shabby for FREE!!

And Yes I'll have to play in my Garage...but its better than nothing!

Now I just need to come up with some low cost terrain, and some cheap acrylic to paint the table with and I'll be good to go.

Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
Re: Finally I have a surface to play on...almost...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:16:32 AM »
Free is always good! Anyway you could fix it, or replace it with comparable sized MDF board? If the hardware isnt broken, shouldn't be too hard.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:08:00 AM »
Free is always good! Anyway you could fix it, or replace it with comparable sized MDF board? If the hardware isnt broken, shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, excellent suggestion here. You could easily use some of the thicker MDF to expand this to a nice 6' x 5' (which you can easily mark down to 6' x 4' for standard games, giving each player a bit of extra room for supplies, codices, etc.)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:29:32 AM »
Nice, that is a big garage, over here the price of land is such that houses are on the 15mm rather than a 28mm scale.............  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »
Looks pretty stabile, hope you get a lot of joy out of it. And 5'x4.5' is ample space. My skirmish boards are normally 4'x4' which is often more than enough for 10-15 28mm minis a side depending on the game. Plus if your terrain building skills turn out to be anything like your painting we'll all be wanting to come round for a game so the garage will offer plenty of space ;)

Matakishi's tea house has a good variety of reasonably cheap terrain building building ideas.

For bare grass I have a moss/grass green piece of fleece cloth I put over my table. Folds up nicely, doesn't crease and very cheap. I reckon if I watered down some acrylics a little I could add different shades, but not tried yet.

Duncan

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
Easily available is GW's mat.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »
Easily available is GW's mat.
And pretty good I've heard too.

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »
Even the GW bashers rate it.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
Great suggestions guys...I'll have to look into a mat of some sort.  I've got number of Dave Garffam paper houses to assemble so thats covered for now...to get this off the ground I need some trees...material for hedges...and a couple low walls...I can probably fake most of those.

If I were to expand this to a "full" sized table I'll go whole hog and make some better legs for it....these are not the highest quality...but will work for now!

Cheers,

Blue

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
You can probably pick up a lot of GW scenery at Flea markets or yard sales, lots of teenage boys buy them and then dump them when the fad ends.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »
I threw that half of the table away and consolidated all the legs under the remaining half...

so does it ping or just pong now?

used to use a friends pingpong table as a gaming surface when I was a lad... quite sturdy for what it was... and a good height...

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 02:27:28 AM »
That's a good cheap solution.  I have a couple of the super-hard plastic folding tables.  They fold in half and store n the closet easily, but fold out to 6' long.  I can put MDF pn the top to get the table size I want.  They're not to expensive and extremely stable.  They also make impromptu painting tables when the kids have friends over who express an interest in the hobby (tip: Keep cheap plastic minis at the house for these occasions).

Tables Galore

This is my boomstick!

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 04:16:32 AM »
@dave...I have considered this solution...do you fasten the MDF to the folding tables some how or just tell everyone to be careful?

Cheers,

Blue

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »

You’re up to a nice start...

I sure hope your garage is warm enough this winter so your avatar’s name won't become a reality ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:12:08 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »
Heated garages?  That is surely a luxury? Gosh, a fellow will want heat and light in his shed next!  lol