Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:16:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Octobriana - Russian Zombie Hunter  (Read 8297 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Octobriana - Russian Zombie Hunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »
Quote from: "JollyBob"
Kev White sculpts teeny tiny women!  :lol:

That's to compensate for his own tiny stature...  :wink:

To be honest, I think some people are far too critical of someone else's paintjobs (especially as we haven't sen anything from them yet). I've seen people just block out minis without any highlighting and still take pride in them and that's as it should be and far from me to criticise them for it. They are all labours of love and should be treated as such.  :)

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 09:50:37 AM »
Quote from: "white knight"
To be honest, I think some people are far too critical of someone else's paintjobs (especially as we haven't sen anything from them yet). I've seen people just block out minis without any highlighting and still take pride in them and that's as it should be and far from me to criticise them for it. They are all labours of love and should be treated as such.  :)

Hear! Hear!

Octobriana is lovely. Really very atmospheric colour scheme as well.  :love:
Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 02:27:41 PM »
Nice paint job. Like others have said, it is refreshing to see the figure painted in different color. It always amazes me how a color scheme dictates the feel of a miniature and sometimes what genre of gaming it seems to belong to.
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 04:05:36 PM »
Quote from: "JollyBob"
Quote from: "pixelgeek"
Where is the black star?

Huh?  :?: Sorry, don't follow you old sport.

I thought you were making reference to the Octobriana comic character. I'm only familiar with her from the Luther Arkwright series where she has a black star on her forhead but I guess from doing a Google search that a red star is more standard.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 04:19:53 PM »
Ah, right. Yeah, that's where I got the name actually, but I'd forgotten about the star on her forehead.  :oops: I am getting old.

I've never seen one of the colour comics with her in, so I don't know if it's meant to be black or red. I just meant about adding some soviet style iconography or badges to identify her.

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 04:50:24 PM »
Quote from: "audrey"
It always amazes me how a color scheme dictates the feel of a miniature and sometimes what genre of gaming it seems to belong to.

So very true! I've been caught a couple of times because I bought a figure with a view to using it in several different genres, only to be scuppered by painting it in a scheme that didn't suit one or more of them...  :roll:

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 04:55:58 PM »
Feel free to call me stupid! Isn't that the Copplestone Kate Beckinsale-alike figure?

The paint scheme totally threw me  :(

Fool :lol:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 04:58:27 PM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"
Feel free to call me stupid! Isn't that the Copplestone Kate Beckinsale-alike figure?

Nope, this one's the Hasslefree Kate Beckinsale-alike figure...  :wink:

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 06:50:17 PM »

Nope, this one's the Hasslefree Kate Beckinsale-alike figure...  :wink:

Oh well, that's saved me a little embarrassment, at least  :)

Must visit Hasslefree - they have soooooo many cool figures!

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 12:54:23 PM »

If you want to mix hasslefree miniatures with copplestone it is better to see them in lead before because they are quite different in size ...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 08:53:43 AM »
Quote from: "pierrebi"

If you want to mix hasslefree miniatures with copplestone it is better to see them in lead before because they are quite different in size ...

Oh, I hadn't realised that :(

I'm not too bothered about difference in sizes between manufacturers, but if it's really extreme I might have to re-consider.

I've happily used Perry [small] & Redoubt [tall & thin] along with Copplestone [average & chunky] together, so as you can see, I'm not too fussy :lol:

Hasslefree are so good I will get some anyway, if only for the fun of painting them.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 08:59:10 AM »
Quote from: "audrey"
It always amazes me how a color scheme dictates the feel of a miniature and sometimes what genre of gaming it seems to belong to.

It certainly does.

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 09:37:28 AM »

I've happily used Perry [small] & Redoubt [tall & thin] along with Copplestone [average & chunky] together, so as you can see, I'm not too fussy :lol:

Hasslefree are so good I will get some anyway, if only for the fun of painting them.

Which Redoubt miniatures you mix with Copplestone?
I have Redoubt Chinese Boxer and the are shorter the Copplestone but the size of heads and hands are quite the same ...

you can have an idea of scale here
http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/scale.php

hasslefree miniatures are a pleasure to see!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »
I've seen people just block out minis without any highlighting and still take pride in them and that's as it should be and far from me to criticise them for it. They are all labours of love and should be treated as such.  :)

Wow, never thought I'd hear that from the mouth of a Frother.  You're not like the others, are you? :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 10:14:01 AM »
Quote from: "pierrebi"

Which Redoubt miniatures you mix with Copplestone?
I have Redoubt Chinese Boxer and the are shorter the Copplestone but the size of heads and hands are quite the same ...

you can have an idea of scale here
http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/scale.php

hasslefree miniatures are a pleasure to see!

I've use the Redoubt & Perry Hadendowah figures [in separate units] as well as Perry British alongside Copplestone Darkest Africa figures. There is an obvious difference, but used in separate units they look ok on-table [to me, at least :wink: ]

The Redoubt Sudanese range are very tall & thin, whilst the Boxers are more akin to OG/Foundry etc in size & build - much as the ACW range are. I presume they are done by different sculptors.

I have OG, Foundry & Redoubt boxers, which I feel happy to mix in the same unit and I've also mix Foundry & Redoubt ACW in the same units.

I think this is fine, unless you are one of those gamers who prefers all figures to be the exact same size & build. Some variation in size [especially in more "irregular units"] is a plus point, as  far as I'm concerned  :)

Thanks for the scale pics, they look like they will fit right into my preferred range!