Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:14:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Morning all  (Read 1970 times)

Offline mattluck

• Student
Morning all
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm Matt, 37, - I've been lurking for a little while now and found these boards inspirational for restoring my interest in the lead painting scene ( having been involved in the hobby since I was 8 I'd drifted away from it for many years after losing interest in the whole GW deluge of WH40K/Warhammer ). I've recently discovered the huge variety of 'other' figures available and I'm excited to get stuck back into the action! From what I've found so far I'm interested in SotTR (painted about 120 Zeds and rising), VSF, steampunk, Gothic horror and anything pulp, alternate or weird.
I'm looking forward to joining in with what looks to be a very friendly and supportive community, and maybe to find some people to game with ( I live on an island in the south east of England - I'm pretty sure I'm the only gamer here.....there may be others....out there...I've written messages on the roof just in case.. ).
At the moment I'm just painting figures - I've yet to play any games with them, although I'm very keen to, and I've started to move into model making too which I'm finding very exciting - I hope to learn some good techniques from the experienced crowd on here.
Oh, and I have pics - I understand these are a requirement and must be shown on demand....papers please.  :)
Cheers!

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Morning all
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:13:24 AM »
Good morning Matt, please take a seat in one of the comfortable chairs and enjoy the atmosphere. Cigars and cognac to your left and dont hesitate to ask the butler for a refill.

I am sure that you will enjoy your stay here, and you will also find out that there are many more in the same gaming situation as your self.

Sonny
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Welcome aboard Matt

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »

Matt
How small is that island? Take a walk around shouting "Hello any gamers round here?" Might work?

lol

Welcome to LAF 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline mattluck

• Student
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »
Thanks for the welcome folks, I'm really looking forward to joining in!

Well, I took a walk around the town in a sandwich board to try and draw out like minded enthusiasts. Unfortunately I missed out a few vital letters and spent two hours wandering around unwittingly wearing a sign which read, "I'm game, are you?" It attracted the wrong sort of enthusiasts. I spent the afternoon hiding behind some bins in a back alley until they'd stopped looking for me....

Ok, better get on with posting a few pics!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 03:11:58 PM »
Hey, Matt - welcome back to the miniatures hobby and to the LAF.  There are a ton of excellent games and figures our there, aren't there?  I am always seeing figures I want because they are just so danged neat, even though they don't fit with anything we are likely to ever play.  Ah well, an excellent miniature is its on reward....

-Michael

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
Welcome to LAF pal!

You'll find lots of friendly, like minded people here, and plenty of advice and inspiration.

Finding game-friends outside the GW road is sometimes difficult, but well worth the effort.

So good luck, and hopefully you'll soon have an active gaming group.

Best wishes from Mexico.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline mattluck

• Student
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:23:44 PM »
Thanks everyone - I'm glad to have found such a friendly site to help me get back into gaming.  :)