Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686611
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Car Chase Game - road pieces - Updated 13/12 - Board Pieces finished  (Read 26095 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Car Chase Game - road pieces - Updated 13/12 - Board Pieces finished
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 07:46:50 AM »
Love-er-ly!! :o :o :o

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 07:49:39 AM »
This road is really amazing. Many good ideas.
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 04:58:06 AM »
 :-* Stunning work! Great details and realism!  :-*

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »
Really excellent!  :-*
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 08:29:33 AM »
This does look absolutely amazing for a road set in this period in time.

But chaps, dont forget, if you are copying this idea in a more modern setting, that you will need to build sections with roadworks, temporary traffic lights and traffic wardens for that really authentic look!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 09:57:21 AM »
What an excellent build and this...

...is a fantastic picture  :-*

Wow looks like a scene from James Herriot all creatures great and small :-*

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 10:06:22 AM »
Wow looks like a scene from James Herriot all creatures great and small :-*

I always felt that series was a bit lacking in machine guns.  lol

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 10:18:43 AM »
Well, to be honest, my campaign so far is pretty much machinegun-free up to this point.

Not for lack of trying on the players' parts I might add though... lol

All the shooting done in the first chase was with revolvers and assorted hunting rifles. They recovered two Lüger pistols off the hapless German baddies after this race though. I will have to start keeping track of all the hardware they're lugging around. Knowing them, they'll be toting a small army's arsenal in a couple of month's time.

I have one particular player who is especially wiley, and if I'm not careful, a scene, probably along lines very similar to these, will play out in the near future: He'll suddenly and totally unexpected produce that one heavy machinegun 'I recovered from that one plane we used when crossing the channel last year, remember? Well, I'm going to use it now here in this porcelain shop to open that closed door over there'... ::)

An iron memory and unregulated PC carrying capacity can be one nasty female dog of a combination for inexperienced GM's such as myself...

I'll try and see if I can post a more elaborate reply to the individual questions in the thread a bit later, when I have more time. :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:22:03 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »
No, let him have the heavy machine gun.  Then, when he tries to use it as the game winner, have it either run out of ammo or jam with a dud round as his character probably is not a qualified armourer.  :D
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
No, let him have the heavy machine gun.  Then, when he tries to use it as the game winner, have it either run out of ammo or jam with a dud round as his character probably is not a qualified armourer.  :D

I wish... :?

[WILDLY OFF-TOPIC]
But let me briefly describe the background of his character so you can taste my occasional despair:

He's a HongKongese Chinese orphan, raised in an English run orphanage, but taught Kung-Fu by a master when he took to the streets (so he's a Kung-Fu master himself now). He then went to find his father, who he miraculously found out is still alive (so he's not actually an orphan at all, but left at the orphanage because his parents could not care for him at the time).

The father was serving in the British army in India, so he joined as well, but not just like that, no; he first became a mechanic (so he's now a technical wizard), then a boardgunner in the Airforce (so he knows all about heavy guns. Yeah; whatever) and finally became a Ghurka (No; really... ::)  I had to bend over backwards to fix that; he's not a Nepalese national, so could not have actually joined. I twisted that in such a way, that he lied about his origin, was allowed in, then his deception was found out, but he was given an honorable discharge instead of a courtmartial because he had just saved the butt of another PC (a pilot officer (and Baronet), who crashed right in the middle of a pitched battle)).

So he followed said baronet to the UK, to be his manservant. Oh; and he took the old master with him, to be the gardener, and in the middlle of a recent session, all of a sudden asked me what his wife(!) was doing in the meantime (I swear; he made her up just there and then). He looks, basically, like Odd-Job from James Bond, including the dress, although I managed to avoid his hat being a Xena-like throwing disk (but he still has his Khukri-knife from his time with the Ghurka's hidden in his waistband). And did I mention he's the group's designated driver, because he's an expert driver as well?

Bear in mind that this is the very much tuned down version, which I managed to accomplish over several heated debates. Yes; he's  the ultimate powerplayer, and his Super-chinese is a walking Swiss-armyknife, but it's all I could do to keep him from creating a true monster...

As a contrast, one other player has described his character as: 'The slightly overweight village doctor, who says 'preposterous!' a lot'... lol
[/WILDLY OFF-TOPIC]

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
Daeothar;

It sounds like you need to start rewarding players that actually make the game fun to play and not those who try to bend everything in their favour!

Just make his father the bearer of an incurable disease that is only passed on genetically father-to-son, and have that hang over his head for a while.
It may get the point and might tone him down.
If not............hmmmmm.

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »
Dae,

You do have a conundrum with that player.  You could always run to the extreme; "rocks fall, everyone dies,"  or just give him Typhus fever/the squits/macular degeneration/early onset arthritis/osteoperosis (delete as applicable).  If he has that detailed a backstory, surely there needs to be a medical history as well?!

p.s. Your scenery inspires.  :D

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »
Oh, he's a handful alright... ::)

He's our regular GM, and really into micromanaging in his own campaigns. It can get tiresome at times, when you need to keep book so detailed, you can riposte some of his surprise situations with notes you made 3 years ago. lol

But don't get me wrong; this one needs a very tight leash, but we're into this for the good times, and it always works out that way, and every session is interlaced with wild tangent remarks and laughter, so it's not as disturbing a factor as it might appear from my description.

So; it's all in good fun in the end, and he was pleasantly surprised when I sprung the additional .45 rules on them; everyone gets to roll their trusty D10's, and I get to play with more miniatures and scenery than I can possibly get painted in time without wrecking my marriage :D

Anyhow; I'll show them off here first of course ;)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:15:01 PM by Daeothar »

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 10:49:08 PM »
Brilliant.

To be honest, I was a bit skeptical when I first saw this thread, as the road sections looked a bit too short to be really practical, but you've done a fabulous job and, seeing how they all fit together in game-play, produced something great for the gaming table.

Oh, and the hedges are superb.

:-*

Offline Alex_Nay

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »
 :o :o :o    No Comments!!!!!!    :-* :-* :-* :-*