Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691097
  • Total Topics: 118372
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Defiance Games USMC Marines!  (Read 155414 times)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Defiance Games USMC Marines!
« Reply #735 on: April 28, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »
I've removed some posts. It is not acceptable to attack other forums here nor is it acceptable to post comments about other people. If you don't like what other people are saying attack their argument not them.

This thread has been moderated from the start in an effort to keep the discussion civil. Mostly it has been civil with a healthy dose of ridicule for Defiance Games.

People are at liberty to discuss hobby related subjects here. There are many, many hobby related subjects discussed on LAF that some find offensive or have an issue with and if all of these were removed because someone didn't like them then the forum would be emptier and poorer for it. If you don't like a subject feel free to let the moderator of that board know, your views will be considered and discussed and a decision will be made. But, bear in mind, that just because you don't like something doesn't mean it goes away.
As long as things are kept civil and the subject is relevant discussions tend to continue.

As everyone is aware, I'm sure, there are a number of threads on Defiance Games on several forums. They all say the same thing in their own way and they're commenting on the self evident fact that, six months on from announcing product, Defiance Games have yet to ship anything to anyone.

If you think that people complaining about this and occasionally losing their cool is more damaging to our hobby than the fact that this has happened in the first place then fine, everybody's got an opinion, others don't share it, that's life. If you don't like this thread don't read it, it's well sign posted and you won't get here by accident. Coming here for news of Defiance Games is a non starter, there is no news and hasn't been since the beginning. That's why this thread is so long, people still asking for 'news' and discussing the lack of it.

Instead of complaining about other forum members airing their views go and start your own thread about what you've made, painted, played, seen, liked, thought of or whatever. That's what makes the LAF a better place to visit on the internet than elsewhere. Positive action trumps negative whining every time.

incidentally, whilst I was typing this I received some Defiance marines in the post :)
Opinions that you are free to disagree with will follow later...

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #736 on: April 28, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »
Considering they were apparently only packing them yesterday.....
Tony has a...time machine? lol

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #737 on: April 28, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »
I didn't get them from Tony.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #738 on: April 28, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »
Phew!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #739 on: April 28, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »
A review of the defiance Games marines:
http://www.matakishi.com/dgmarines.htm

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #740 on: April 28, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »
Thanks for the review, Matakishi. I've got a more positive impression of the miniatures after the proper closeups, but I'm still far from okay with supporting this company after their atrocious PR and customer relations.

Still, I'm looking forward to see what they'll look like once people start tinkering with headswaps etc.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #741 on: April 28, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
I purposefully left out any of my views on the company itself.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #742 on: April 28, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »
Well, after seeing the heads close up, I would have to replace them.  The helmeted heads are useless; the others only slightly better.  After some thought, I won't be buying any of these.  Even with low cost they just don't seem to be worth the extra work needed to make them a good figure.  Perhaps their Germans and bugs will be better.
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #743 on: April 28, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
A review of the defiance Games marines:
http://www.matakishi.com/dgmarines.htm

...which includes the immortal line:

"The irony is of course that I don't actually want any."

An opinion shared by many, I suspect.  With a large bin of the old Warzone plastics boiught for pennies from Prince August some years ago out in the garage, should insanity strike and I feel the urge to get into Sci-Fi, I think I'm well prepared.  And those Warzone plastics look much better to me than these.

Allen
What fresh hell is this?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #744 on: April 28, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
Having both to compare I would say that they share the same problems for me, uninteresting design, but the Warzone troops are quicker to get on to the table as they're essentially single piece castings. The Defiance miniatures are crisper though.

I'd avoid both of them and make a nice little force from the old Alpha Forge metals available from Mega minis these days. In fact I have :)

edited to add photos of the Apha Forge chaps:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:25:40 PM by matakishi »

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #745 on: April 29, 2012, 04:46:18 AM »
I always was fond of that Alpha Forge stuff!! 

Offline ZuluPaul

• Librarian
« Reply #746 on: April 29, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »
Thanks for the review. Seeing the frames seals the fact I won't buy them. The heads are very poor. Disappointed in this company, but I will at least look at future releases (but no bugs for me).

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #747 on: April 30, 2012, 05:53:44 AM »
So, since the boxes have now actually really truly factually shipped (not that I've see any or heard of anyone non-connected yet who has received his but I've no reason to doubt a pic taken at a retailer by Xeno_RG), can we now start to resolve the competition? Anybody who didn't put anything up as prize got some yet and - most importantly - what's the posting date? Dwartist?

Offline Xeno_RG

• Assistant
« Reply #748 on: April 30, 2012, 06:32:12 AM »
Wasn't me that took that picture. It was posted on the DG Facebook page. I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #749 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
Well, yes, your exact wording at TMP (http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=249945&page=10) is
Marine boxes at Hobby Bunker, taken with the blurry camera commented on so many times
So, I'd say you just might want to work on your presentation skill a bit more. Certainly it would would save you some time from having to go from forum to forum to correct me. Which of course in and of itself is not only fair enough but actually beneficial.

Regardless of who took the pic, I accept it's genuine evidence for UAMC having actually shipped. Now all we need is the ship date and the competition is resolved.