Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Flashy's new wheels (Golden Compass toy)  (Read 18018 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Flashy's new wheels (Golden Compass toy)
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2008, 07:59:02 AM »
Great paintjob, Sir Henry!

It is certainly a splendid target for Her Majesty's [Gaud Bless 'Er] Royal Artillery!

Online anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »
I finally decided that my carriage would best serve as a staff car for my Prussian commander. Here is the completed carriage after a repaint and some weathering, shown with its crew:

nice... did you mask off the clear plastic? or are you just one of those annoying neat painters  ;)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 03:31:59 PM »

nice... did you mask off the clear plastic? or are you just one of those annoying neat painters  ;)
[/quote]

I used a Humbrol product called Maskol. Its used by aircraft modellers to mask off cockpits and such like prior to spraying/airbrushing assembled models. Once the painting is compleye you just peel the stuff off with tweezers (which is not as simple as it sounds because it inevitably leaves bits in awkward corners that need prizing out.

I first repainted the detail on thhe windows and the body around the windows. I then applied the maskol to the windows and to the front wheel inside the rim, then sprayed the whole model in varnish (GW purity seal) to ensure that the paint I applied would stick to the glossy paint on the carriage body and to the gold plastic running boards, etc. After painting, weathering and varnishing the whole model i removed the maskol and touched-ip the area around the windows.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »
I've been into Poundland in Reading today and they've got a new GC toy in, this time it's Lee Scoresby's Airship. It's got two balloons either side of what looks to me like the cockpit of a podracer (I've not seen the GC film). It needs some work - the cables to the balloons are painted onto a cone of clear plastic - but I'm sure one of you inventive VSF guys could make use of it.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2008, 10:15:08 AM »
I left one as it was, although I have no idea what to do with it, the other I took off the balloons and based them as spotter balloons for 15mm ACW after painting the base as a cupola.  Not a great job but if they get used once in 10 years I will be surprised. Still I have them now.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
I got one of those Scorsby balloons a while back. The balloons unscrew from the cockpit, giving you two nice gasbags for one-man conveyances. The cockpit is almost the right size for a seated figure (with some work). I'm thinking of adding a screw rotor to it and another flyer.

Really, if you can lay your hands on it cheap, it's quite a good addition to the bits box.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »
This is going to be massive threadmancy, BUT

ToysRus have the airships and carriages for 99p, and the double ballon ship for £1.99. I picked up 2 airships for the hell of it.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2009, 07:58:03 AM »
This is going to be massive threadmancy, BUT

ToysRus have the airships and carriages for 99p, and the double ballon ship for £1.99. I picked up 2 airships for the hell of it.

Thanks! Threadomancy excused on grounds of passing vital information  ;)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 07:43:23 AM »
I have picked up several over the past couple of years. Was thinking about mounting Gattling guns on some of them.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »

I used a Humbrol product called Maskol. Its used by aircraft modellers to mask off cockpits and such like prior to spraying/airbrushing assembled models. Once the painting is compleye you just peel the stuff off with tweezers (which is not as simple as it sounds because it inevitably leaves bits in awkward corners that need prizing out.

I first repainted the detail on thhe windows and the body around the windows. I then applied the maskol to the windows and to the front wheel inside the rim, then sprayed the whole model in varnish (GW purity seal) to ensure that the paint I applied would stick to the glossy paint on the carriage body and to the gold plastic running boards, etc. After painting, weathering and varnishing the whole model i removed the maskol and touched-ip the area around the windows.

Thanks for the tips, Bullshott!
Just picked one of these up and did wonder about a few of the things that you mentioned.
Thats those questions answered, so, cheers!

Nice paintjob,by the way.
If mine comes out half as good as yours I will be happy!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
Even massiver thereadomancy...................  :o

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
Even massiver thereadomancy...................  :o

Maybe.........

.......but as Malamute was kind enough to point this thread of Bullshott's out while I was perusing this one;
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=34850.0
I thought it only right to thank Bullshott for his post.

Sorry if you disapprove!  :D

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
Us grumpy old men have to have some outlet for all that grumpiness................   :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2011, 04:11:50 PM »
OK, Grumpus, grump on!  ;)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »
My work here is done!  >:D