Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:55:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Song of Ice and Fire, Darksword - Image intensive  (Read 3477 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Song of Ice and Fire, Darksword - Image intensive
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
Here Are some of my recently painted G RR Martin wargame minis and scenery.  I hope to add some crossbowmen and archers from Gripping Beast too to round out a small battleforce.

My skill in painting shields and banners needs practice but I'm having a great time switching from pulp minis to fantasy and medieval.

I am terrible at taking pictures.  SOme turned out better than others sorry about that.

Theon Greyjoy

Bronn -  absolutely love this figure.  The shield isn't visable but it's a simple red shield which is battered a well used.  This is his early mercenary days, simple unelegant and dangerous.

Jon Snow

Rattleshirt - The bones on his armor were time consuming to paint but so worth it. I thought my picture was better focused when I shot it.

Euron Greyjoy- I was putting the finishing paint touches on his when I took these pics.  His base is painted and flocked as well as the fine golden designs on his belt and tunic too.  I envisioned him as a sort of rogish sailor like a dark and brooding Sinbad.

This was something I thought would be easy to make which took more time than I expected.  I wanted to build something for attackers to use against my castle walls.  So why no build a seige tower I thought.  I studied some pictures on the net and thought, hell I can do that.  So I started out, using coffee stirrers.  That was fine but I forgot the wheeels and the ladder and trapdoor and mechanics.  In the end, I'm proud of myself.  I found some wooden scale wheels in the craft store, made a ladder and even made the tower mechanically functional using some string.  It drops down exactly even with my castle walls too.  Just the way it was intended.

Here are a few things I've made scenery and terrain wise.  I recently forked out some money for a foam cutter.  I should have done that years ago.  I've had tons of fun making terrain in the past including buildings but now it's even better.  If you don't have a foam cutter, invest in one.
Seige Tower

Tower made from empty cardboard oatmeal container, foam and drywall spackle.

This is my Fist of the Fist Men.  Made with foam using a cutter and spackle.  It's a spiral ramp leading up around a larger rock.  

Castle...I never initially intended on making a castle but I had these foam pieces that were just begging to be used for one.  All I had to do was cut a portcullus door and do a little shaping , spackle and paint.

This staircase is a separate piece made for use with the castle interior to reach the upper level of the walls.  It's really a neat and simple piece which is very functional.  It will take a miniature on each step and even has a covered archway beneath.  You can see the portcullus in the castle entrance if you pay attention to the background.

A nameless hedgeknight.  I initially painted him to be Bryden Blackfish but couldn't get the black trout the way I wanted.  In the end I stripped the paint on the shield to that of another house of the trident river which had a standard I could paint easier.  I know...This was an extra unnammed mini darksword sent me for spending too much money on an order.

This figure is Brienne of Tarsis.  I decided I'd rather have the figure be a stardard knight from another house so I sanded the shield free of it's images and placed the alternate hemlet head on her.  We'll see how it turns out.

The Hound.  I really look forward to painting this one.  It came with 3 differnt head options.  I liked all of them.  I struggled for nearly an hour trying to decide which to use.  I finally decided this one suited my feel most.  I haven't decided what color to paint his armor or tunic exactly.  I think I will give his a scorched burnt armor with a green tunic.  This seemed to be consistent with his days on the run.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:29:59 PM by gauntman »
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline generulpoleaxe

• Librarian
    • Myrmidon Studio
Re: Song of Ice and Fire, Darksword - Image intensive
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:20:50 PM »
Darksword minis are some of the best sculpts out there. Top job on these, love the siege tower  :)

Offline Finarfin

• Bookworm
    • FINiatures
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
You gotta love the Tom Meier sculpts.  :-* I hope you will find a way to blend them with the Gripping Beast minis.

Keep them coming!

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
Finarfin,

I really hope the Gripping Beast miniatures are at least compariable in size.  I can deal with some size variation.  I hear the Perry miniatures and Crusader minis are a bit on the smaller size.

I can deal with my heroes being a bit larger-than-life.