Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chronopia 2nd edition.  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
Chronopia 2nd edition.
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

I really loved the Target version of 'Chronopia' but I never really got to play the Excelsior ent. edition (despite having the book).  :'(

It looked like they made some interesting changes. Has anyone out there played 2nd ed? Any thoughts?

I found my Dwarf army the other day and got a bit nostalgic...  ;D
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Chronopia 2nd edition.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
 You will find the link to the Excelsior forums below.

http://forum54.oli.us/

Love the game setting but have sadly not played a game.

Here is a link to the Dwarf painted miniatures by forum members.

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php/topic,4812.0.html

Join the forum as they are a really great bunch.

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »
Thanks for the link! I've actually lurked around that forum a fair bit here and there. Never got 'round to joining though, probably should.  ::)

I too found the background rather compelling but it was really the stylistic differences in how the various races were presented that really grabbed me. Quite different from the run-of-the-mill. I liked the Dwarves in particular because for the first time they WEREN'T 4 foot, beer-swilling vikings! Also the orcs /Goblins /Ogres/ Trolls depicted as a very sophisticated and civilized people instead of green shovel-jawed savages. I also quite liked the Firstborn/humans, the large exaggerated armour being very reminiscent of the armour in John Boorman's 'Excaliber' (a film I still love to this day). Its kind of hard to find really good proxy models for that reason (although Reaper has a few things).

The game itself was d20 based (instead of shedloads of d6) and a very elegant system I thought. Encouraged tactical play instead of relying on one or two super models to win all the time...

-sigh- Happy days...

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
 I have a few dwarf sculpts in my range which were done to fill in gap's in the line.I know Alex Bates has the Vulture totem in his Forge of Ice range.Really cool miniature.I have three of them.

The different takes on the races is very refreshing too.Just like Leviathan was different.

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »
I'd noticed those yes. The wolf-cloaked axedwarves are very nice!! Any more in the works?

;)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
 I do have several other Dwarves done.Just need to get more sales before I can get them done.I also have a Blackblood piece done too.Then Joshua and Thom have pieces to be released.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
I've played both editions - although it's been years since I played either.

I didn't feel that the Excelsior edition added anything to the game, other than to collect all the material into one large volume.

I was happy with the Target rules, my friends and I never had any issues playing them.  There was some confusion with flying and mounted combat, if I recall correctly, with each new supplemental book adding or modifying them. 

I *do* make a "Mutant Terror Bird" that some people have described as looking just like the artwork for the Vulture Blood Totem...  it's not in my online store yet (my webmistress is vacationing in South America!), but send me an email and I'll sell you one (or more!)  :)

-Alex in Alaska

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »
I'm a big fan of Chronopia (and warzone too). But in both games, I prefer first edition.

I always loved the "dark fantasy" approach of Chronopia. It was really refreshing when it came out. The civilized oriental orcs (and even not green on official artwork!), the swamp gobelins, the stygian (stills the best egyptian-like fantasy race IMHO), the incredible dwarfs....Every race was original. Except perhaps the demons, wich were, suprisingly, classic.

The sculpt range quality is from average/ok to really really cool level. Some of them stills very competitive (quality speaking) even after all the years. The only issue is that latest figures came into limited poses (usually 2 poses for simple crew), when you found 4 diferent figures in the first warzone blisters.

I plan to build diferent warbands in the future too. I already have a demonic band dipping into acetone, waiting to be converted and painted.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »

Never played the game, but I'm a big Sons of Kronos fan!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
Right, humans were very interesting too. The sons of Kronos, mix of Celtic tribes, barbarians and (!) wood elves.

I also like the firstborns, more classic in a way, but with a great dark design, with those incredibly massive body armors (the Judge is one of my favorites).

Offline joshuaslater

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »
Classic stuff.   ;)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
I could not resist to temptation...I ordered all the Chronopia first edition books  lol

I plan to finish my Devout warband, I'll probably need some archers or crossbowmen...Probably in proxy choice, since I  didn't find any figures of it.

I'll create a dedicated topic ASAP. I need to find and clean my current collection first.

I'll play it on my big heroscape tileset (3 complete valkirie sets). It will be very cool for this kind of skirmish game.

Offline joshuaslater

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »
I play second edition all the time.  Either edition plays wonderfully.  Proxying for the Devout is not too tough.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:30:40 AM »
I play second edition all the time.  Either edition plays wonderfully.  Proxying for the Devout is not too tough.

I'll second that.  The Devout are probably the easiest faction to proxy for (although there are lots of Celtos figures that work well for Sons of Kronos and Elves, as well as Joshua Slaters, Manic Miners and my miniatures that can work for the dwarves and various other factions).  Some Leviathan resin monsters work well as proxies, too.

The orcs are not easy to proxy for - they've got such a unique style that it's difficult to find orcs or goblins that look "right" (at least to my eyes).  The Stygian are practically impossible to proxy for - as far as their troops go.  The Stygian monsters are a little easier, if your aesthetic is a little flexible.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »
Any ideas of good proxies for the swamp gobelins "giant spiders" ?

I've got a devout army, I just need to add some skeleton archers to it (or Jackal clan dwarf archers, but they are impossible to find anywhere). I plan to collect a stygian and swamp gobelin armies, because I also like the background for scenery ideas.

i also like the blackbloods, but it become difficult to find some usefull (game speaking) refs like archers and stuff like that.