Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:56:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HG Wells giant gaming - recommendations?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
HG Wells giant gaming - recommendations?
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:15:19 PM »
I've been reading 'The Food of the Gods' and wondering (naturally) about translating it to the gaming table.

For those who don't know it's about an experimental form of growth-promoting food. It causes humans to grow to about 6-7 times their normal size and animals and plants to also grow to large but various sizes (ie it's not 'everything grows 7 times its normal size').

Now, assuming that the c30mm figs I have are OK for being 'real' then the Children of the Food will be about 150-200mm, which is about 6"-8". Anyone got any ideas about figures (presumably plastic) in that sort of size?

Also there are giant rats, wasps, earwigs, cockroaches... any recommendations for sources of pests that don't make them too massive? None of these things are anything like as big as a human, even the rats are more like the size of dogs, and I guess the wasps would be about 3-4mm for scale purposes, so I can't just get some bendy rubber insects from the toyshop.

To be honest the best gaming potential seems to be in using gangs of normal humans in battle with the giant rats etc rather than up against the Children, that would be difficult as they don't have the classic 'they're big but slow' thing going on - if the normal humans move 6", the giants move 36"... so they'd be off the table in no time.

So anyway, that's what I'm thinkijng about. Any ideas how to go forward? Cheers y'collective all, thanks in advance for anyt input.

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
Re: HG Wells giant gaming - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
At about 6"-8" the "humans" seem to be about the size of various "action figures" I'm sure my old Star Wars/Action Force (GI Joe?) were about that size ???
as for the creatures 've seenvarious giant rats frogs snake and bugs along with spiders in the shops through out the years the last two around Halloween.
gan canny kidder!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
If rats are the size of dogs then most of the giant rat figures from many manufacturers would be fine, I'd have thought?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
Shocking Tales #3 features a Black Dossier case file based on this book (one of my favorite...) or at least our Strange Aeons spin on it...

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
What about using 15mm for the normal sized people and 28mm for the giants?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

If 'normal' people are 28mm (ish) then the giants need to be 6"-8" which is rather taller than things like Star Wars figures (about 5"). Might work if I were using 20mm figs with action figures... but I don't have any 20mm Victorian figs.

'Giant rats' from companies like Citadel (I know they had at least one kind in the 1980s) would be fine I think - maybe best I suppose to ask over at the Gothic Horror or even Fantasy boards for recommendations/inspiration.

If the giants are 28mm, then normal people would need to be about 4-5mm. The problem here is that I have a certain amount of 28mm Victorians, but no (say) 6mm Victorians. However, there are very few giants and very many normal people, so from that point of view I'd be trying to make lots of new figures fit in with a few old ones rather than a few new ones (much bigger, certainly) fit in with some old ones...

Sorry Uncle Mike, not Old Ones...

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »
What sort of Style do you whant your "giants" to be because I'm sure I have a few "Golden Compass" figures and some "Wild Wild West" figures somewhere.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
Thanks Chantyam - but I'm really not collecting the figures for this project yet! Just getting ideas about how it might be done.

When the 'Children of the Food' are young (c1890) they sometimes are dressed (such as young 'Teddy' Caddles, the child of poor parents in a small village) in sacks stitched together and suchlike; but later, c1905, some are described as being clad in specially-made metal garments.