Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 09:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696286
  • Total Topics: 118756
  • Online Today: 459
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AT-43 - who has the rights?  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
AT-43 - who has the rights?
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
Does anyone know who bought the rights to the AT-43 universe/figures? I'm assuming someone did, right?  :?

Offline undead_jon

• Bookworm
  • ~Just the way the doctor made me~
Re: AT-43 - who has the rights?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »
As far as I can find out Cyanide Studios (they of the Blood Bowl computer game), bought all the IP rights to Rackham Entertainment's products when Rackham went under.

They're bringing out a Confrontation RTS/RPG computer game soon and apparently have a similar AT-43 game planned/in the works.

J
~What do you see in the dark when the demons come for you?~

My Painting Blog / My Displaced Miniatures Page

Offline Penchour

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:19:29 AM »
Should we then assume miniature lines were sold separately, like with Confrontation ?  I've been pretty impressed woth WIP sculpt for the forthcoming race (forgot the name so far), that has never been released :S

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »
I also assumed that the miniatures rights were sold to another company. The Fire Wasp was re-released, for instance:

http://dwartist.blogspot.com/2011/04/fire-wasp.html

http://www.greymatterfigures.com/index.php?p=2&id=97

But I can't believe anyone is "sitting" on those FireToads, TacArms without re-releasing them  :?

Offline undead_jon

• Bookworm
  • ~Just the way the doctor made me~
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 05:47:44 PM »
I also assumed that the miniatures rights were sold to another company. The Fire Wasp was re-released, for instance:

http://dwartist.blogspot.com/2011/04/fire-wasp.html

http://www.greymatterfigures.com/index.php?p=2&id=97

But I can't believe anyone is "sitting" on those FireToads, TacArms without re-releasing them  :?
IIRC the Firewasp was made by a different company that got a licence from Rackham to produce stuff for AT-43 (Fire Industries I think?), which would explain how they were able to produce it.

I don't really know anything about IP law other than what comes up in GW related stories, but I wonder if Cyanide owning the IP means they own the rights to the figures as well, so they may have to grant someone a licence to produce new ones (being that they are a video games company), but that's purely speculation on my part.  Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can inform us as I have a load of Karman that would quite like some new buddies if someone were to produce the figures again :)

J

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
If I've understood things correctly, Cyanide does own the rights to all the miniatures as well, and thus they've been able to sell a licence to Legacy Miniatures to produce the new Confrontation stuff that occasionally pops up on Coolmini.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »
If I've understood things correctly, Cyanide does own the rights to all the miniatures as well, and thus they've been able to sell a licence to Legacy Miniatures to produce the new Confrontation stuff that occasionally pops up on Coolmini.

OMFG you are such a nerd.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:31 PM »
If anyone read the inteview with Paolo Parente on the new Dust fanzine - http://www.dust-chronicles.com/ - the author asks him about the future of AT-43. Here's what Paolo replied:

Are there any future plans for AT-43? Is there any chance that game would ever make a comeback in any form?

SAD, SAD and SAD….. I have a lot of affection for AT-43, but it does not belong to us. Besides, the actual owners don’t care for this game at all. And worse news is that all the molds for the figurines and vehicles will be melted by the end of the year since nobody has serious intentions to make use of them, so sad. I know this well, my bedroom at the Factory/Monastery is located exactly above the warehouse where they are stored….

So...I had the crazy idea of contacting the owner of Dust Chronicles and see if he could contact Paolo. Maybe there was some way for us - the fans of AT-43 - to buy the molds. Paolo replied today:

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 15:31:04 +0800
Subject: Re: FW: Help with AT-43
To: dustfanzine@hotmail.com

Hi Patrick,

this is more complicated than that, here a short resume of what happened:

1-Rackham went in bankruptcy leaving the chinese manufacturer with a 600K USD debt.

2-This guy (my partner William) is holding the molds, and no matter what, is not giving them to whoever claims to have bought the rights from the french judge, unless he gets his money partially back.

3- Cyanides, a french computer game developer based in Paris, is the owner of the AT43 IP now, having bought them together with those of Confrontation for peanuts at the tribunal.
But they don`t give a damn about AT43....  They just bought the full package in order to protect their investment in the Confrontation PC Game they were developing.

So this guy needs to buy the rights from Cyanides first and then he needs to start negotiating the release of the molds here in China..... Good Luck

One more note, the molds have been rusting in a warehouse here for over 3 years, there is no guarantee that they will turn out fully operational, most probably they will need some serious repairs and maintenance.

Please feel free to pass him this info.
CHEERS
P

So I...no future for AT-43 indeed. This is a very sad day for me  :?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:43:55 PM »
Well that's not great :(

Although, if Cyanides really is that disinterested then the rights to the stuff could probably be picked up cheaply. New moulds etc could always be made without dealing with China, although it depends on how well the masters and or digital files could be retrieved or created. Probably worth it for the Container :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:55:56 PM »
I think that some of the molds are still available. There's at least 3 Chinese sellers who offer Red Blok and UNA walkers in a weekly basis. I've bought a couple of them and I can say that they are brand new. They can't be items that were stored somewhere and are now being sold.

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »
I think that some of the molds are still available. There's at least 3 Chinese sellers who offer Red Blok and UNA walkers in a weekly basis. I've bought a couple of them and I can say that they are brand new. They can't be items that were stored somewhere and are now being sold.

A link would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
There are impulse purchases one regrets and there are the ones you never regret, like me plunging into the AT-43 sale when the company went bust.  I had a few AT-43 figures prior, which I had picked up at a flea market, but the norma RRP (the stuff being prepainted) was too high for justifying the build of a proper force.  The 40% discount did put matters in a different perspective and I bought - within a week - enough figures to make a tabletop army each of UNA, Karmans and Red Blok (my poor CC!).  Even at -40% it was still an investment moneywise (but not much different from buying unpainted figures and the vehicles are awesome imho).  Most of the stuff has been sitting on the shelf a couple of years, until last month when I needed 2 SF armies ASAP for a game project in our club.  The vehicles only needed flocked bases and the figures received just a wash on top of that.  I've been a regular painter for over 35 years, and I must say I'm rather pleased with the effect, let alone the speed...  On top of that, UNA and Red Blok are fairly acceptable for +1945 WWII games which will cost you a pretty penny to get involved in (e.g. Dust Tactics).  The Karmans are class in their own and it is not likely we'll see something similar soon, not at the -40% mentioned above.  Mind you, when the Star Wars collectable 28's were dumped, I acquired enough to build a few armies and although they are not as good as the AT-43 ones, a decent paintjob makes a world of difference.  I always wanted to field a Gungan army (once they'll be painted, they are now marked as project  NY (not yet) 2225.3bis  lol).  Wish me a long life to come...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »
Miniatures Market has ridiculously low priced clearance stuff on AT-43.  But only a handful of models per faction.  They're selling walkers for $10 a pop etc. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!