Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:35:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1500pts WAB Age of Arthur Romano-British Twilight of Britannia Army (Pic heavy)  (Read 9873 times)

Online guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
As so many of you enjoyed my Arthurian cavalry picture, I thought I'd share these pics of the army I'm taking to an Age of Arthur gaming day in April. If you frequent the WAB forum, these models have appeared there in the past, so nothing new to see. However, if you do not, you may find something here that you enjoy! ;)
I have opted for the classic Romano-British army, with elite heavy cavalry, loads of late Roman-style infantry and a handful of skirmishers. I have chosen a General and Army standard bearer to lead the army, with the intention that the characters will do the decent Roman thing and lead, rather than fight.
I don't know how well the army will perform...I have only ever won about 2 games with Romano-Brits among the 15 or so I have played!!!

Anyway, to the models, I hear you cry... (By the way...all banners and shields are hand painted in this army.)

The characters - A Tribune and his army standard bearer:

The elite heavy cavalry: The tribune's commanipulares, or household warriors, armoured and armed with long spears.

The regular Romanised infantry, called Milites: The red shield unit is armed with throwing spears to be used offensively, while the black shielded unit is armed with thrusting spears to be used more defensively. Both units are armoured and have large shields, and can fight in shieldwall, so are hard to kill.

Next, the Pedyt, who are town militia: They are pretty poor fighters, but are armed with thrusting spears and large shields and, as they can form shieldwall, like the milites, are good in defence and are more useful than you'd first think when you see their gaming stats.

Next, the skirmishers. These are Rustici and are essentially rubbish camp followers with a sling. Note the priest model who I always put in my skirmisher unit. He doesn't function as a priest, but I love the figure..great model and ready to slay the heathen Seax...

And, lastly, a shot of the whole army:

I hope that you enjoyed looking at the pics! These are some of my favourite and best painted figures... Models are mainly Gripping Beast's Romano-British range, with some West-Wind Romano-British models among the infantry and the Tribune is also West Wind, although he is on a GB horse. Also, there is the occasional Foundry model in there too. I think the priest is a Crusader minis figure, but may be wrong about that...

Cheers

Andy

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Fantastic!!!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Nice :-* :-* :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Not all that great. I'll send you the rest of my GB Arthurians, just so you can get some more practice. Send them back to me painted, and I'll let you know how you're doing.

;)

Gorgeous!!!

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Lovely stuff.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Beautiful.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
whoah, the whole stuff together looks great!

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
Superb, the banners are fantastically superbly superb o_o
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
What manufacturer are your Rustici?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
 :-*

Lovely army!

Offline Gary Mitchell

• Librarian
    • Space Vixens From Mars
Nice pictures of the bad guys. But where are my peace-loving, industrious, migrant ancestors, defending themselves against the ethnic cleansing of native British warlords?

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Nice looking army you've got there!  :-*

I really like the standards and shields.

Fantastic stuff.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
A really impressive collection and very inspiring.  :)

Nice pictures of the bad guys. But where are my peace-loving, industrious, migrant ancestors, defending themselves against the ethnic cleansing of native British warlords?

You missed out socially egalitarian...  ;)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Very impressive. Have you also given your foot javelins to make up for the lack of 'firepower'?

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Tremendous - I, too, am particularly taken by those banners, but the whole army is a top job.
Back from the dead, almost.