Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Seriously annoyed with Army Painter primer  (Read 8937 times)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
Re: Seriously annoyed with Army Painter primer
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 04:02:21 AM »
Hmm, think it was Army Painter that completely fouled up a batch of minis for me. Can't remember honestly but I switched to Tamiya white primer and it worked a dream. My favoritist primer ever and now it's unavailable and has been for a couple of years I guess.
And looking now I can see it's been back for a few months.
Still, I switched to gesso as well because of Tamiya vanishing and I really do like the results I get from white gesso. Not as quick to prime the figures I suppose but it seems like I get a better finish with gesso.

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 05:56:57 AM »
Some very interesting "debate" here, specially the "captain's" views. I guess I should have mention that I still love painting and of course would not use army painter on my normal painting projects but use it more as a "band aid". I have at times purchased large pre painted armies to use as "lenders" or opponents to my "ohh my god painting the eyes on 500 15mm samurai" army and most of the time the paint jobs are not up to my standards, a dip in "army painter" is most of the time quite an improvement. I have also used it for "Pacific rim" painted armies that are not all that great with fine results. By the way Army painter is a bit on the expensive side when you compare it to regular "wood stain" type dip BUT as a mini painter as well as a wood craftsman I can tell you that they have re-formulated this specifically for the mini trade and it is much superior to the wood type dip. I don't think it is really going to end people trying to paint better in fact I think it might help keep frustrated people playing and having time to improve. I know it has helped to make wargaming better by making the task of assembling large armies fo those lacking the TIME or painting skills possible. There is a fine line in the LAF community separating those who are on the painting side and those who are on the gaming side. With over 10,000 painted minis and playing with them all the time I guess I'm on the "overboard" side?

I have been on both ends of the spectrum winning several rounds of the LAF Lead painter league and also Churning out 200 Zulus for a game in 10 days.... Army Painter dip is a tool and a tool is only as good as the craftsman. I have a long time friend who has painted all his life and very well but he almost 60 now and his hand shakes so as to make painting hard for him. He still wants to paint and army painter has helped him still get good results instead of giving up...

Not a bit of "army Painter" on these! I will take some shots of figures using army painter and post.

And these are some of the 500 "Red Devils" 15mm Samurai, also no dip.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:15:36 AM by Vonkluge »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »
For me currently, a nice evenly applied undercoat is all I get to achieve with current free time. I for one will be sticking with halfords matt black, matt grey and white.

I've also experiemented with the humbrol acrylic sprays to good effect and with good success, (using the brown for the basecoats for my 15mm GZG forces).

Not a fan of dipping nor the low standards of PJ that are being fostiered onto the general younger gaming community, and as has been said before, great strategy to sell more minis by encouraging people to rush basic paints in order to sell the next new release.

There's no satisfaction in having a cabinet of poorly painted figures, no what anyone says.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
I will gladly use their dip any time to speed up my painting, but AP Sprays are just not up to my standards. It has nothing to do with humidity levels or temperature... Even in perfect conditions both primer and varnish come out grainy and irregular. I've written to them about it and although they are aware of it, the product remains the same. I even ruined some of my Bolshevik sailors last time I decided to give the varnish a go after someone recommended it. It will remain the last time! I wouldn't recommend their sprays at all.

Offline Penchour

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
Just to add my experiences, I had troubles with the first batches of sprays (grey, red and brown) that should then have been called 'pest in can' as models looked like getting instant plague as huge dry amounts of paint turned then into horrible thingies. I have less troubles with actual products, so this could be a solved problem ... but I went back to my good ol'GW spray cans for basecoating my minis since those dreadful (and repeated) experiences.
So, a mixed feeling about the products :S

Offline KelRiever

• Lurker
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
I echo the thoughts on Army Painter.  Sadly, with how many people even NEVER paint there figures these days, I'd still rather see AP painted than more bare pewter or plastic.  Once upon a time you actually painted a figure before you put it on the table....am I dating myself?

Here's some actual dip, but for a price that subtracts the AP name:

You can dullcoat (Testor's Dullcoat in my case_) or matte over the finish to paint on the surface again

Here's some excellent primer (also comes in black, gray, and other colors), that doesn't carry a game company name:

Note, for all that work over at AP, they are still literally having you dunk figures and flinging your figure around.  Just brush it on, and use mineral spirits to clean your brush dedicated for this purpose.

Maybe I am not the best painter ever, and I certainly am not the best photographer, but here's some pics of minis, done with said products:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:01:06 PM by KelRiever »

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 07:31:28 PM »
one of the thigns that caught me out with the Army painter sprays is that they should be used a lot closer than GW sprays, according to the instructions.

I can only assume that the paint drys so fast when moving through the air that if you spray from too far away flecs of it dry before they even hit the surface of the model. Certainly that is what my models looked like before I discovered that Army painter Sprays should be used much closer.

all in al I like the range of colours but ... i've had the brown one come out in two differernt shades and the wite cover a UNIT of plastic dwarves in flecs, so I probably wont take the risk again, (after one mroe can of brown to finish my Thornfall models).

I've recently tried Halfords Primer and that was pretty damned excellent (and cheap).

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
one of the thigns that caught me out with the Army painter sprays is that they should be used a lot closer than GW sprays, according to the instructions.

I can only assume that the paint drys so fast when moving through the air that if you spray from too far away flecs of it dry before they even hit the surface of the model. Certainly that is what my models looked like before I discovered that Army painter Sprays should be used much closer.

I had the good luck to be taught to spray paint by a couple of professional vehicle refinishers way back in the Bronze age. The distance you need to work at depends on the pressure, formulation, temperature, humidity etc at the time. They did it for a living, and they always checked at least a couple of times that everything was working the way they planned before they ever let a spray go near what they were working on.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 11:23:48 PM »
im a bit confused,im using Armypainter Primers all the Time,i never had any of the metioned Issues.In fact i just used the Pure Red Spray today on a Hardfoam Terrain,No Undercoating or cleaning just sprayed it direct on the Model.Came out very well as always  ???

Armypainter Primer on Marx Cars,im also using it for my Plasticville and Sarissa Precision Terrain,like i said never had any Issues  ???

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 12:00:03 AM »
You mean apart from having a bright red jelly building on your gaming table? :D

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »
You mean apart from having a bright red jelly building on your gaming table? :D

lol

though I have to ask, where did you buy the building?
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?