Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Just saw John Carter  (Read 22390 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Re: Just saw John Carter
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2012, 07:28:38 AM »
Personally and unemotionally - I'd not hesitate to kill anyone or any creature that I felt was a valid threat to the safety of my wife or children or even nation but that may be an indication why I ended up in the job I am in currently
And perhaps you also, like Carter, contemplate a nice little genocide to round it all off - "Let's have no reservations, let's have clean sweep"?

But by all means, let's chalk it off as a sign of the times (of writing and/or supposed occurence, whichever you prefer) or severe infatuation - I'm still glad that it's (apparently) been left out of the movie.

EDIT: removed a line for being completely out of line and incidental to the issue. Self-censorship IOW.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:57:16 AM by tnjrp »

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
apparently we all enjoyed the film, but seems to be a failure in terms of finances.
maybe it's a film for genre geeks?

Sad thing is if JC film fails we can forget about more films on same genre, for instance a Carson of Venus film

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2012, 05:16:36 AM »
Just got back from JCM in IMAX 3D.  I don't do well with 3D because I wear glasses and there is a blurring effect during action scenes. 

My friends Bob & Drew hadn't seen it, and they LOVED it.  We can't understand why Disney dropped the ball on the marketing for this film. Makes no damn sense.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline ugsome

• Librarian
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »
Good movie. My kids loved it.
It will probably be less cinema visits in the future due to 3D.
My eyes didn't like. Same with with my wifes.
If they continue to show some movies only in 3D then
I will wait until I can watch it at home.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 11:07:02 PM »
Saw it last week in 2D.  Loved it.  Disney did a good job even if it didn't hew precisely to the source material. It was my wife's first exposure to John Carter and she enjoyed it thoroughly.
This is my boomstick!

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
Saw "John Carter" this weekend with my son and it was much better than the critics would have you believe. It is not really the story line of the Warlord of Mars that Burroughs wrote-so once you get over that it is good fun film with fantastic sets and great special effects. I would love to see a series made but enless it does fantastic (like the Pirates series) outside the states I feel this is a doomed hope.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2012, 10:16:28 PM »
I must admit that Disney have really annoyed me about the way they said its their biggest loss ever, even before the first few weeks of showing it are over. Statements like this are just going to make the general public not go and see it and therefore make the loss all the worse  :-[

Dumb asses  ::)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »
I must admit that Disney have really annoyed me about the way they said its their biggest loss ever

Really? worse than Atlantis? they lost a lot of money also on it.
Maybe the VSF and Steampunk it's a doomed genre in cinema?

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2012, 08:11:20 AM »
Saw it last week and loved it. The film of the year so far and the best film I have seen for a while.
I was enthralled from beginning to end. It was a real visual treat. The attention to detail was incredible. The only jarring note I thought was the sometimes clunky dialogue.
It's a real shame the way Disney have gone about releasing this film. Talking it up as a loss even before the film was out. Kind of puts a death knell to anymore which seems a bit silly as surely the next one would be a lot cheaper.

Offline luidinuovo

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2012, 08:19:58 AM »
Saw "John Carter" great Film,try to find the Books in German but the price is to high,they start at 40€ and end at 90€ for a book  :-[.
The withe Apes are Cool.

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2012, 08:29:16 AM »
I know the industry regards JCM as a dog but.........for sci-fi heads is JCM better than Avatar? 

Just a thought!

P.S.  I did like Avatar but felt that the PC message being pushed down my throat confused the sci-fi elements.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
I thought John Carter was better than Avatar.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »
I thought John Carter was better than Avatar.

Definitely a +1

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 10:52:14 PM »
On the whole it was a fun flick, saw it with my 8yr old son who loved it.

I wasn't familiar with the books, but like the period in general...

Things I didn't like - couldn't stand the ridiculous jumping... far too excessive, it just looked stupid and reminded me of that crappy Hulk movie.

Also the fight scene where John is surrounded by and kills hundreds of Tharks single handed... just silly and 'unrealistic', if its safe to use such a word for such a 'period/setting'?

Finally I found it odd that the technologically advanced 'humans' fought with swords, while the primitive aliens had firearms... WTF!?

Things I liked - the hover ships looked cool, and I liked the sinister controlling 'priests'. The love interest totty was fairly appealing too in a mature sort of way...

I'd give it a 5/10

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2012, 07:20:16 PM »
Ok, I'm a late starter when it comes to movies, rented it on On Demand cable -- I thoroughly enjoyed it! While, yes, the super jumping was a bit over the top, it did keep the movie flowing (in the books John Carter would jump roof to roof, but how long can you do that in a movie??). Overall, CGI and world setting -- phenomenal! Costumes, yes! Great actions scenes, both land and air combat. The Tharks were really well done and the flyers were really original looking. The super-blaster bracelet could have been done better, but then you find out later it's a channel for the 9th Ray super duper stuff. And I even liked Oola -- they could have made his face a little less dog-like, but it was OK.

I also liked the Therns and how they tied in Earth with a cross-world/cross dimension angle. In the original book he just passes out and wakes up on Mars after his spirit goes walk about. That was a pretty common deus ex machine for the 1930s -- you want the guy on Mars, or Venus, or the Green Star Planet, so just have them "spirit travel" or just pass out and wake up there. But I think people today are much more technology/explanation focused, so this new element to the movie helps the audience with the belief suspension important to buy into him being on Mars. Kinda funny, the old "It's mysterious spiritual powers" angle won't fly, buy people are just fine with the "It's mysterious alien technology" angle!

Overall a Two Thumbs Up. Other than the fact the studio wasn't very good at cost control and blew the marketing, I don't see why the so-called "critics" panned it. It was everything I want in a fun action movie -- great setting and costuming, cool world background, good characters, great action scenes that were over the top!! I'll probably get this movie on DVD, and could see a cool campaign game out of it pitting Therns against Humans across the alternate Solar System... 8)

Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games