Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:31:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Season 6 - Leaderboard  (Read 51520 times)

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
Re: Season 6 - Leaderboard
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 10:43:32 PM »
As has been said above ... thanks for all the work you're putting in to make this happen Ray and Prof.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »
Thanks for the hard work Ray and Alex, I'm at 18 now with maximum points and I guess this season with the competition so fierce I'll end up around the middle 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »
thanx for the effort from here, too, Ray!

Quote from: Ray Rivers
So please check your scores and if you have any problems let me know and we will sort it out.
noticed! But I will wait until the end and after the last round ... claim victory!

best wishes and thanx for league again!
Drachenklinge

PS
it's much more fun, when being part of it!  :D
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »
Thanks boys and girls!

Do remember though, I'm just the accountant. The real genius (and work) lies with the administrator, whose tasks are many: managing the entries (no small job), determining the match-ups while ensuring folks don't get pitched against each other twice, moving the league to a climatic finish... while all the time monitoring the boards/threads and ensuring folks understand the rules.

In this league the administrator is also a participant...  o_o damn!

So while I appreciate the gratefulness (keep it coming if you must  ;)), let us all keep our eye on the ball and lavish the praise where it belongs... the Prof.  :)

BTW... let me take this moment to remind everyone that the next two rounds (Rounds 2 & 3) will have no "new entry" bonus points.

Cheers all!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »
Round 3 has started.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 12:56:23 PM »
Thanx to you and your team for all the hard work prof. Again a very high standard  o_o so hard to choose

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »
I'm finding that the setting/background/scenery can make a difference, even when you consciously try to adjust for it. Is the LPL about the work done on the figures themselves, or is their presentation/staging also supposed to be a part of it?

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 02:19:27 PM »
...Is the LPL about the work done on the figures themselves, or is their presentation/staging also supposed to be a part of it?

I think it varies from voter to voter.  Personally I only vote on the painting of the figures as that is the only part that has to be "new."  But it is a personal view, and I do enjoy looking at the great presentation of some entries.  For me though, it's all about the painting of the figures.   :)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »
BTW... let me take this moment to remind everyone that the next two rounds (Rounds 2 & 3) will have no "new entry" bonus points.

This is confusing. Does this mean that those of us that painted figures for these rounds could have just used back catalogue stuff? That can't be right.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
Is the LPL about the work done on the figures themselves, or is their presentation/staging also supposed to be a part of it?

In my case I vote for the set that I feel is painted the best. All things equal, if one person provides a closer view, they'll get my vote. If I'm up in the air about it because the painting is about equal, I will use scenery and setting as a tie breaker. Some people seem to vote by subject matter regardless of other factors, according to comments :)

In the current round I voted for several entries that are figures against a neutral ground, because the painting quality is higher.

If in future years there is a rule about not including scenery I wouldn't be broken up about it because terrific setting and scenery can be smoke and mirrors to some extent. That said, the narratives people come up with are really what makes this league fun for me as a spectator and sets the LPL apart from every other online showcase out there.

I'm sad not to see Hammers' entries this league because he is a master scene-maker AND good at painting. As a competitor I feared being paired against him  ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
This is confusing. Does this mean that those of us that painted figures for these rounds could have just used back catalogue stuff? That can't be right.

All three teams HAD to be new entries. I suspect the organizers thought it would be fruitless to allocate points everyone would be getting by default, because every person would be getting the same points anyway.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 02:28:45 PM »

Quote from: LPL Season 5 rules
All applicants MUST submit THREE newly-painted (previously unpublished) teams in time for the first round.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »
Ah yes, I see. Makes sense now :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
I'm finding that the setting/background/scenery can make a difference, even when you consciously try to adjust for it. Is the LPL about the work done on the figures themselves, or is their presentation/staging also supposed to be a part of it?

The league is about painting minis primarily. A player will need to paint 60 "new" miniatures and a large piece of scenery to gain full bonus points.

How those miniatures are presented, is up to the player and the voter.

This is why digital manipulation of photos was prohibited.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:07 AM »

This comes up every LPL, "Is this a painting contest or a photography/presentation contest?", and the answer is always "Yes."
 ;)